Author Topic: Comp. Coupe: Are shaved drip rails legal?  (Read 2380 times)

Offline apexfab

• New folks
Comp. Coupe: Are shaved drip rails legal?
« on: December 21, 2019, 10:20:05 AM »
Hi, I have a couple of questions about the comp coupe class and also general regulations.

Firstly, though, my last thread here didn't go over so well. Sorry if I offended a couple of people but I did take away some strong points:

-There are a lot of veteran racers here with seasoned opinions and solid advice. Both are very much appreciated.
-When in doubt, build up. I've already factored in 5 lug hubs and at least 1 5/8" tubing.

Okay, on to the good stuff. I have a 2018 rule book on order as 2019 books seem to be sold out? My 2017 rule book says "Other than top Chopping (4.I), no modification to the body is allowed." I'm pretty sure I have pictures of at least 1 comp. coupe with shaved drip rails. Are shaved drip rails allowed or forbidden in this class? What about door handles? Protruding door hinges? Can those be shaved?

-Is the F/GCC record of Cohn Jucewic Monza at 186.387 in 2014 still current?

-What about F/FCC set by Hondata CRX in 2010 (204.364)?

-Where is the best source for fire suppression systems? 10lb for driver/5lb for engine compartment?

-How much ballast in the front of a chopped, rear engine car if the front is stretched and streamlined and mostly void besides the front axle and a few components? I'd think front end lifting will be a concern. Maybe not?

-Is anyone overbuilding the roll structure with 1 3/4" tubing?

-Are front brakes dangerous? Stopping this car on the drag strip in it's current form, it will easily skid the front tires if you jam on the brakes. I'm already looking into parachutes but can someone confirm or deny my suspicion that I'm going to need rear disc brakes and front spindle mount wheels?

Well, that's it for now. Again, sorry if I offended anyone last time and thanks for any advice you can give.

EDIT: I just realized that this thread should probably be in the "SCTA Rule Questions" section. Oops.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2019, 02:38:23 PM by apexfab »

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
Re: Comp. Coupe: Are shaved drip rails legal?
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2019, 11:51:14 AM »

Hi, I have a couple of questions about the comp coupe class and also general regulations.

Okay, on to the good stuff. I have a 2018 rule book on order as 2019 books seem to be sold out? My 2017 rule book says "Other than top Chopping (4.I), no modification to the body is allowed." I'm pretty sure I have pictures of at least 1 comp. coupe with shaved drip rails. Are shaved drip rails allowed or forbidden in this class?

keep reading... last sentence

-Is the F/GCC record of Cohn Jucewic Monza at 186.387 in 2014 still current?

is in 2019 book, ck SCTA website

-What about F/FCC set by Hondata CRX in 2010 (204.364)?

is in 2019 book, ck SCTA website
roof rails will be required for this one

-Where is the best source for fire suppression systems? 10lb for driver/5lb for engine compartment?
several ads in rulebook... all are good.  you must determine type you want

-How much ballast in the front of a chopped, rear engine car if the front is stretched and streamlined and mostly void besides the front axle and a few components? I'd think front end lifting will be a concern. Maybe not?

as much secured ballast as you think you need... all vehicles are different... getting aero data will help your choices

-Is anyone overbuilding the roll structure with 1 3/4" tubing?
1 5/8 is a minimum... it's your ass... protect it as you see fit... I've seen 2 inch

-Are front brakes dangerous? Stopping this car on the drag strip in it's current form, it will easily skid the front tires if you jam on the brakes. I'm already looking into parachutes but can someone confirm or deny my suspicion that I'm going to need rear disc brakes and front spindle mount wheels?

both classes you asked about will require a parachute... the records are over 175... brakes are a choice, but if you plan to run in paved mile events you better have front brakes.  If your front brakes skid now, you might want to look at your proportioning valve

Well, that's it for now. Again, sorry if I offended anyone last time and thanks for any advice you can give.

You need to re-read the rule book.... again, and again.... general rules as well as those for your weapon of choice... Good luck with your adventure....
Hope to see you on the salt  :cheers:
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline apexfab

• New folks
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2019, 12:21:31 PM »
Thanks for the reply. I guess I should have specified that the body is not pre-1949. The way I read the "note", it sounds like shaving drip rails and altering wheel wells only applies to pre-49 bodies.

Or should I be reading it as four separate notes?
1. compliance to seating requirements for vintage bodies
2. fender well allowance
3. fender allowance not applicable to vintage body/vintage engine
4. drip rail removal

After all, it says "note" singular. Some parts of the rule book are confusing to me but I may just be reading too much into it. There are other similar questions I've had that I can't think of at the moment.

I didn't realize the records were available on the STCA site. Both are current.

Thanks again.

Offline apexfab

• New folks
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2019, 02:07:08 PM »
Also, "Vehicles competing in the Competition Coupe and Modified Sports classes shall have documentation showing the stock vehicle BEFORE modification."

Is an image of the same make, model and year of car sufficient? The car is already modified but not for LSR.

If "a Gas Coupe is basically Production car with an engine swap, an Altered is a Gas Coupe with headlights and grille covered and the engine set back, a Competition Coupe is an Altered with the nose lengthened and streamlined." (5.D), then do the rules in the next class down apply unless otherwise specified?

For example, Gas Coupes must have tail lights. Altereds can have bumpers, grilles and headlights removed. Am I to assume that a Competition Coupe must have tail lights?

Thanks in advance for any clarification.

Offline RichFox

« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2019, 02:20:17 PM »
Comp Coupes. Can=t see the taillights. Doubt anybody would care.

Offline apexfab

• New folks
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2019, 02:28:43 PM »

If "a Gas Coupe is basically Production car with an engine swap, an Altered is a Gas Coupe with headlights and grille covered and the engine set back, a Competition Coupe is an Altered with the nose lengthened and streamlined." (5.D), then do the rules in the next class down apply unless otherwise specified?

For example, Gas Coupes must have tail lights. Altereds can have bumpers, grilles and headlights removed. Am I to assume that a Competition Coupe must have tail lights?

I think I found the answer to this specific example in 4.K but I would still like some opinions on the main question.

4.K "Removal of trim, lights, floorboards, and interior sheet metal are not part of the contour."
« Last Edit: December 21, 2019, 02:33:04 PM by apexfab »

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2019, 10:12:06 PM »
You do realize that must have tail lights does not mean working lights.... I think the only class that requires anything to work is production...
But don't count on me to know... I'm not a production based racer anymore... since 1984 I've been doing special construction... a lot less rules and you never see a protest  :wink:
don't read anything in the rules that is not printed... generally if it is not forbidden it is allowed.... if it is not addressed somewhere then it is not a rule. 
Read the rule book... then read it again... if you still have questions about something you think is not  clear, then read the rule book again.... don't read into it... just what is says.

If it is still an issue remember we all know what we know, but the SCTA has the final say... there are names, phone and email in the back of the book...
We will help all we can...

So what was your current question  :cheers:
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline apexfab

• New folks
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2019, 07:53:28 PM »
...don't read anything in the rules that is not printed... generally if it is not forbidden it is allowed.... if it is not addressed somewhere then it is not a rule. 
Read the rule book... then read it again... if you still have questions about something you think is not  clear, then read the rule book again.... don't read into it... just what is says.

This is pretty much what I was looking for.

Thanks again, Stainless1
« Last Edit: December 23, 2019, 11:49:51 PM by apexfab »