Author Topic: Water record  (Read 942 times)

Offline kiwi belly tank

Water record
« on: April 08, 2021, 03:42:59 PM »

Offline kiwi belly tank

Re: Water record
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2021, 03:45:56 PM »

Offline datadoc

• New folks
Re: Water record
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2021, 11:47:17 PM »
Just a little info about a planed water speed attempt. Back in the day I was the engine builder for the Skoal Bandit formula 5000 road racing car sponsored by Hal Needham and Burt Reynolds. I got to spend a fair amount of time with Needham. His new project after the Budweiser rocket car was to try for the water record. Their plan was to run the boat at the flats during the winter when the lake was flooded. His idea was it would be a protected body of water. I don't know what happen to the boat project because after a race or two Burt and Hal started the NASCAR deal and we never saw them again. I do remember the truck driver telling me when ever he stopped the truck he would find notes to Burt with phone numbers. The truck had huge lettering all over with Burt's name. The 18 wheeler was way over kill for our team because we had only the one car, one spare engine, a few spare car parts along with a box of tools.
  One time coming back from a hydro race in the Midwest headed to Utah for another race we passed the Bud rocket car on a open trailer. We stopped at a cafe and after eating and walking out I was asked what was that thing in the parking lot. I told them it was a unlimited hydroplane and they asked "you run that on water" and I answered yes and they said I must be crazy. That all seemed strange to me until I walked out to the parking lot and could see why the confusion. The rocket car was parked just outside the door and a big truck was parked between the car and the hydro such that you couldn't see the boat.