Author Topic: E-5 Motorsports and a '93 Trans Am  (Read 15732 times)

Offline TheHardOne

Re: E-5 Motorsports and a '93 Trans Am
« Reply #45 on: July 03, 2022, 06:09:10 PM »
Once again dusting this thing off...  Still alive and kicking!  We've (myself and ROKTSHP) been caught up in the struggle to balance work/life/build a race car and failing miserably on the race car building (thanks, work).  We were initially planning to attend Speed Week this year but have recently opted to instead take the money we'd spend on travel, lodging, food, etc. and put that towards the car and use the time off we both have during Speed Week to re-acquaint ourselves with where we were and try to get the head of steam build back up to make progress towards at least getting the car to start and move under it's own power (baby steps!).  Currently taking stock of what we have, what we've lost, and what we'll need to keep busy thrashing on our car while Speed Week happens.  Hoping there will still be a live stream so we have something to keep ourselves entertained during the process.

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #46 on: July 03, 2022, 07:05:45 PM »
I have every intention of streaming the audio.  Expect to hear music and testing Friday, and it'll be on bright and early Saturday and for the rest of the event.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #47 on: July 03, 2022, 07:13:30 PM »
I have every intention of streaming the audio.  Expect to hear music and testing Friday, and it'll be on bright and early Saturday and for the rest of the event.

Thank you, Jon.
Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ

Offline TheHardOne

« Reply #48 on: July 04, 2022, 01:01:44 PM »

Awesome!  We will definitely be tuning in then.  Thanks!

Offline TheHardOne

« Reply #49 on: August 16, 2022, 09:10:25 AM »
Just updating this with a little build progress... we took the time and money we would've spent to travel to Speed Week and invested it into the car instead of the trip.  Guess we made the right call this year, would've loved to hear some runs over the live stream though.  Started a facespace for our team, https://www.facebook.com/E5Landspeed.  Check it out, give it a like if you want.  Can't say we'll be super active but we'll do what we can.  I'll throw up a few pics here, can't do a lot until I can figure out how to re-size en masse.

Anywho, heres a list of major tasks accomplished:

Plan, route, and install entire fuel system from tank to rails and back (save for the tank venting).
Finish building intake, install.
Hang the re-built 10-bolt rear axle.
Install door skins and window frames w/ lexan windows.  Re-hang doors.
Drink the super tasty beer.

I didn't document pics too heavily during the build but in the link are a handful of pics I took after we were wrapping up.  We're but just a few small steps away from finally being able to hear race car noises through those 1-7/8" primary long tubes... loosely planning Thrash Week - Holidays '22 Edition but we'll work on that once we've recovered from this past week.  It was hard not to bubba something together that last day just to make the thing come alive, even if just for a second.

Offline TheHardOne

« Reply #50 on: August 16, 2022, 09:11:37 AM »
pics

Offline TheHardOne

« Reply #51 on: August 16, 2022, 09:11:55 AM »
again

Offline TheHardOne

« Reply #52 on: August 16, 2022, 09:12:22 AM »
again again

Offline TheHardOne

« Reply #53 on: August 16, 2022, 09:14:52 AM »
again3

Offline TheHardOne

« Reply #54 on: August 16, 2022, 09:16:10 AM »
uno mas

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #55 on: August 16, 2022, 09:26:54 AM »
Starting to look like a race car.... If y'all remember how to get to my place send me a text or PM so we can talk about dyno time to help sort it out a little after it is running. 
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline jacksoni

« Reply #56 on: August 16, 2022, 10:48:26 AM »
uno mas
Looking good. I am concerned about your clearly stock wing. Per 4.cc.12 they are not allowed in /ALT. There are arguments elsewhere about production aero devices that have been allowed on vehicles which otherwise should not carry them. Check with rules committee ( Mike Kaehny) or some official before you get into impound. Safety tech won't address it. <Mike is fair but by the book guy.
Jack Iliff
 G/BGS-250.235 1987
 G/GC- 193.550 2021
  G/FAlt- 193.934 2021 (196.033 best)
 G/GMS-182.144 2019

Offline TheHardOne

« Reply #57 on: August 16, 2022, 11:33:13 AM »
Starting to look like a race car.... If y'all remember how to get to my place send me a text or PM so we can talk about dyno time to help sort it out a little after it is running.

Appreciate that!  Would be good to know what the car is doing... one of us will be in touch for sure once we can gather back around again and do the electrical side.

uno mas
Looking good. I am concerned about your clearly stock wing. Per 4.cc.12 they are not allowed in /ALT. There are arguments elsewhere about production aero devices that have been allowed on vehicles which otherwise should not carry them. Check with rules committee ( Mike Kaehny) or some official before you get into impound. Safety tech won't address it. <Mike is fair but by the book guy.

Thanks!  Good info to know, we do have a stock Firebird hatch with factory spoiler we may swap over to just for shaking down and figuring the car out but ultimately plan on going the 4.CC.8 route, probably the Implementation Approach One listed in there.  We'll iron that out a little later though.

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #58 on: August 16, 2022, 08:45:34 PM »
I thought that was a stock spoiler not a wing.... wings are higher.... and stock pieces do no have to be removed in modified... but Mike or the committee chair for modified listed in the rulebook should be able to give you the answer in writing... for your log book.  :wink:
Keep at it...  :cheers:
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline jacksoni

« Reply #59 on: August 18, 2022, 12:11:21 PM »
I thought that was a stock spoiler not a wing.... wings are higher.... and stock pieces do no have to be removed in modified... but Mike or the committee chair for modified listed in the rulebook should be able to give you the answer in writing... for your log book.  :wink:
Keep at it...  :cheers:
Stainless- to me the issues are what is the definition of a wing (two aero surfaces) vs a spoiler (one aero surface) and if a production wing is allowed in a class where aftermarket wings are not allowed. ( rule 4.CC.12 which clearly states where wings are and are not allowed) The book is not clear (of course). As always on this sort of issue, am just looking for an even playing field where rules are applied evenly to everyone. This was discussed in another thread about such devices on pickups which don't normally have aero devices.  A factory optional (i think)  not stock on everything, wing similar to the one here, was allowed as I understand in a situation that violated 4.cc.12. Back to check with Mike or similar official and get a ruling before you get to impound.  :dhorse:
Jack Iliff
 G/BGS-250.235 1987
 G/GC- 193.550 2021
  G/FAlt- 193.934 2021 (196.033 best)
 G/GMS-182.144 2019