Author Topic: 100cc classic production build  (Read 42475 times)

Offline roflhat

Re: 100cc classic production build
« Reply #135 on: December 14, 2020, 03:56:20 AM »
Thanks for all the info, will bear it in mind if I am competitive at Bonneville. Looking at the FIM records it seems as though I could attempt it at Elvington down in England, which would mean higher speed - not being on salt or at altitude

Offline roflhat

« Reply #136 on: May 17, 2021, 12:52:26 PM »
Won't be going to Bonneville this year, just too many uncertainties with covid. Might look at doing something in England if they go ahead, and planning a return to Coniston to improve my water speed record

Offline roflhat

« Reply #137 on: December 31, 2021, 08:55:58 AM »
Been doing a bit of a restoration on the bike, frame and a lot of other bits have been powdercoated. Really pleased with the finish, as new.
New shocks, fork oil, rear mudguard and stainless front mudguard

Also been doing some fiddling with the engine, need to get it back on a dyno to see if it's helped

Offline roflhat

« Reply #138 on: January 06, 2022, 11:46:53 AM »
Was playing with some free programs for pipes, I think mine is not too far away from these given the restrictions for class

Drew them up in Rhino quickly

Got a new ignition coming all the way from New Zealand, very kindly given to me. Going to get that on then take the bike back to a dyno to play with jetting

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #139 on: January 06, 2022, 01:05:11 PM »
Can you measure and input your stock pipe in these programs to see where Suzuki optimized their exhaust?  My guess is that you have to use a pipe that appears stock in your class
 :cheers:
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline roflhat

« Reply #140 on: January 08, 2022, 04:54:33 AM »
There's no cone inside the standard pipe, currently working on it  8-)

Offline roflhat

« Reply #141 on: January 09, 2022, 03:21:38 PM »
Anyone able to confirm, does the exhaust have to only appear stock or does it need to sound relatively stock?
I've modified it a touch which has helped performance but it's much louder than before

Offline RansomT

« Reply #142 on: January 09, 2022, 06:31:47 PM »
Anyone able to confirm, does the exhaust have to only appear stock or does it need to sound relatively stock?
I've modified it a touch which has helped performance but it's much louder than before

Look stock, sound doesn't matter.  However, you should be able to stand at the back of the bike looking down into the exhaust and not be able to tell if it has been modified.

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
« Reply #143 on: January 09, 2022, 09:12:31 PM »
Well sorta.... the exhaust should look stock... the exit from the muffler should appear stock, it cannot be enlarged.  But... if you modify and the exit remains stock size you should be good.  I reworked the muffler on the GSXR 1000 when we set the Production record... 2003 ish...  The can was a little tough to reseal to look like stock...
Stainless

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #144 on: January 10, 2022, 01:05:38 AM »
When we took Nancy's 1350 P/P bike through Impound we had complied with an inspector's suggestion that he'd like to be able to find some type of baffle or obstruction when he poked a pencil into the exhaust outlet of the factory cannisters.  Said cannisters and their innards had received some attention as is allowed, including the faux baffle, but we were questioned about the weld seams of the cans, which could be described charitably as "buggered up".  Yes, we did get the record certified, but not without a fun few minutes telling the inspectors that what they were seeing was simply the work of a trainee welder on a Monday morning shift at Kawasaki.

Were they convinced by the story or was it Nancy's blonde hair? :roll:
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline roflhat

« Reply #145 on: January 10, 2022, 03:12:08 AM »
Excellent thanks for that, I'll put a factory baffle in the exhaust. Shouldn't hurt the power too much, might stop my ears bleeding so much!
Taking my time with the exterior welds and grinding them back so they look just like the factory ones. Quite pleased with the results so far but will need to get it rechromed or powder coated afterwards, I don't have blonde hair so I'll have to do a better job of it  :laugh:

Offline roflhat

« Reply #146 on: January 10, 2022, 03:14:59 AM »
Also over 200mph on a production xz15 seems like an excellent speed, haven't seen many P class records where the speed is higher than the original listed for the bike

Offline roflhat

« Reply #147 on: January 10, 2022, 03:18:30 AM »
One more question, the rules state stock carb which I have but I've used liquid metal to smooth the inlet on the carb into a bellmouth. Is that allowed or does it have to be untouched?

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
« Reply #148 on: January 10, 2022, 12:34:28 PM »
Again appear externally stock... anything they can't see from the outside is legal.
 :cheers:
Maybe they have changed but I've not heard that any inspector wanted to see a baffle in an exhaust... I would send that question to the tech chair listed in the rulebook.   The rule says the hole is the same diameter and placement in the exhaust. Please report back on what they tell you.
Stainless

Offline roflhat

« Reply #149 on: January 11, 2022, 02:24:16 PM »
Sounds promising, could maybe get away with a powerjet too.
Can't find the tech chair in the rulebook, do you know who it is? Or an email address?