Author Topic: The Blue Flame's 50th Anniversary  (Read 32830 times)

Offline MAYOMAN

Re: The Blue Flame's 50th Anniversary
« Reply #90 on: May 09, 2021, 08:41:22 PM »
So far I have no information regarding the Sinsheim Museum plans regarding the 51st anniversary of The Blue Flame's setting the world land speed record above 1,000 km/h. It looks like the EU is still having problems with the Wuhan Virus and things are locked tight. Pork Pie has also kept me up to date as well, since he lives close by over there. My schedule remains open for October 2021.
I was privileged to give a keynote address at the virtual 2021 SAE World Congress [WCX] on ZOOM on April 13th. It was a virtual global SAE event and quite an experience working remotely doing a PowerPoint remotely. I don't think I can make it for the centennial celebration in Sinsheim.
The road is long - Life is short - Drive fast

Offline TD

« Reply #91 on: May 19, 2021, 08:54:00 AM »

Offline N72727

« Reply #92 on: October 23, 2021, 06:05:36 AM »
October 23...
No one today to celebrate the record broken by the most beautiful rocket car ever made?
I'm going to open a bottle by myself while watching the videos posted by Mayoman. A special thanks to him !
Thanks to everyone who was involved in this fantastic project.

Offline PorkPie

• think fast.....always
« Reply #93 on: October 23, 2021, 07:52:02 AM »
As Mayoman wrote, I'm living close to the place...a little bit more than 15 miles...means a very short drive for me...

the two museums, one in Speyer and the other in Sinsheim, where the Blue Flame stands, are owned by a owner group, it's a society in kind of a fellowship....

as this is a private group there is no big money sponsoring..

as both places are always tough hotspots with the virus issue they going through a very hard time....bills still have to be paid...but visitors are not allowed due lockdown or only limited...

currently you have to buy your tickets online and you have to tell when you will be in museum and how big the party is....so that the number of visitors stays inside the limitation...

with this situation the museum got other issues than thinking and planning an anniversary for the Blue Flame....currently the goal is to survive and to get back to normal...

for myself....if I like to be there it wouldn't be an issue....I only have to contact the office in the museum Sinsheim...I go there, say hello, getting my free ticket and sometimes someone from the
curator department shows up and we talk about the newest update....but now, as the 23rd is a Saturday...the museum will be busy and I let them do their job.....

As the borders for tourists will be now open in November the chance to travel is given again....albeit we have currently a extreme increase of positive tests with more in the near future...

so what counts today can be restrict again to the end of the year....

Dick, whenever you like to see your baby, let me know....meanwhile stay on the wild side of life.....
« Last Edit: October 26, 2021, 11:20:49 AM by PorkPie »
Pork Pie

Photoartist & Historian & 200 MPH Club Member (I/GL 202.8 mph in the orig. Bockscar #1000)

Offline MAYOMAN

« Reply #94 on: October 23, 2021, 09:44:51 AM »
Pete Farnsworth is hosting a 50+1 anniversary party today in Wisconsin. I believe around 150 persons have reservations to attend. He will have some videos to share at the party, plus the sound track from Gary's CB radio calling out the speeds as The Blue Flame cruised through the mile and kilometer - reaching peak speed of 660 mph in the middle of the timed distance. 20 seconds of rocket-powered acceleration narrated by Gary Gabelich in real time. Gives me shivers every time I hear that.

Offline floydjer

• "There is no duck side of the moon..."
« Reply #96 on: September 25, 2023, 11:23:48 AM »
Mayoman....A question I have had since age 12...Was the Blue Flame's engine mounted level with the ground, or was there downward angle to provide down force?
I`d never advocate drugs,alcohol,violence or insanity to anyone...But they work for me.

Offline TD

« Reply #97 on: September 25, 2023, 12:43:28 PM »
https://eu.jsonline.com/story/communities/northwest/news/2020/09/09/milwaukee-built-blue-flame-car-set-land-speed-record-50-years-ago/5685678002/

Mayoman -

Is that audio file publicly available? 

I looked on YT, found this: https://youtu.be/rQW_XJLURxQ  There is no audio (at least not for me), nor indication it was a record run.  The film features a young Craig Breedlove (with a woman on his arm, naturally) talking to Gabelich starting about 15 seconds in.

Thanks
Tim

Offline MAYOMAN

« Reply #98 on: September 25, 2023, 01:43:33 PM »
Floydjer, The Blue Flame was running with a negative angle of attack of -1.5 degrees. We also had small canard wings located near the front wheels axle centerline. Measured nose lift (suspension instrumentation) was near zero, so the canards were set for no lift throughout the runs at speed.

Offline MAYOMAN

« Reply #99 on: September 25, 2023, 01:50:59 PM »
TD, there is no sound for that film clip.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B9zZSoqP8PE has sound.

Offline SPDRACR

« Reply #100 on: September 25, 2023, 02:41:24 PM »
Since we are asking questions from long ago ..... How was the  was the steering done up front ?
Thank You,
Eric
salt is OK, but the DIRT is where it's at!
Proud 2nd generation Roadster Racer
Muroc 2 club, El Mirage 2 club, Now Bonneville 2 club,       All in a Roadster

Offline MAYOMAN

« Reply #101 on: September 25, 2023, 03:53:39 PM »
Steered wheels mounted in a cradle suspended by 4-bar linkage.
+/- 1 degree steering. 1/4 mile turning radius.

Offline JimL

« Reply #102 on: September 25, 2023, 04:42:03 PM »
very small bit of trivia about Blue Flame:  I met a fellow one morning, in the McDonalds (here in Sutherlin, OR) who told me he was a photographer for those runs.  He said the car was so fast, that other photogs couldn't get set up properly to get good pics.  He told me he noticed there was "mirage" in the sky that he could see an inverted image of the car coming, which allowed him to time his snapshot moment.

Amazing to think that one through.

Offline floydjer

• "There is no duck side of the moon..."
« Reply #103 on: September 25, 2023, 08:33:35 PM »
Floydjer, The Blue Flame was running with a negative angle of attack of -1.5 degrees. We also had small canard wings located near the front wheels axle centerline. Measured nose lift (suspension instrumentation) was near zero, so the canards were set for no lift throughout the runs at speed.
Interesting and informative........So, With 1 1/2 degrees of rake was the engine's centerline of thrust parallel to the ground or was it also at 1 1/2 degrees negative?
I`d never advocate drugs,alcohol,violence or insanity to anyone...But they work for me.

Offline MAYOMAN

« Reply #104 on: September 26, 2023, 07:43:38 AM »
Good question. I should have made that more clear. The rocket motor was aligned with the chassis centerline, so it was inclined at -1.5 degrees also.