Author Topic: The Blue Flame's 50th Anniversary  (Read 32824 times)

Offline PorkPie

• think fast.....always
Re: The Blue Flame's 50th Anniversary
« Reply #75 on: October 23, 2020, 11:23:12 AM »
Be back from the museum, said the Blue Flame hello from all.

Well, I done some picture and had a chat with the press person in charge of the museum....

they done some picture and press releases at the place, unfortunately they couldn't work it out to add the skype interview with Dick to the "fake" record video which is normally shown on a screen on the side of the display....so only the record video could be viewed....

Do to the virus and the reduced number on active people in the museum they also couldn't work it out to get some special anniversary merchandise...
except of a limited Zero Euro note with the Blue Flame on and five stars for the 50 years.....

Tonight they will have some TV minutes about the Blue Flame and the anniversary.....

As Dick and the SRC said....next year the 50+1....sometimes you have to be flexible
« Last Edit: October 23, 2020, 01:30:21 PM by PorkPie »
Pork Pie

Photoartist & Historian & 200 MPH Club Member (I/GL 202.8 mph in the orig. Bockscar #1000)

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #76 on: October 23, 2020, 11:45:41 AM »
Thank you for your report, Thomas. Maybe "50+1" will be a better celebration of the record.
Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ

Offline MAYOMAN

« Reply #77 on: October 23, 2020, 04:12:12 PM »
Tom, I was told the problem with the museum recording was technical and it has been repaired.
The road is long - Life is short - Drive fast

Offline PorkPie

• think fast.....always
« Reply #78 on: October 23, 2020, 07:03:02 PM »
Dick,

the recording was not an issue, the techincal problem was to add the new video to the old one to get it running on the screen....and this is still not repaired.....sorry

Tom, I was told the problem with the museum recording was technical and it has been repaired.
Pork Pie

Photoartist & Historian & 200 MPH Club Member (I/GL 202.8 mph in the orig. Bockscar #1000)

Offline 4-barrel Mike

• Any fool can drive a V8
« Reply #79 on: October 24, 2020, 12:49:09 AM »
Dick, halfway thru the book (had to go to the end of the line), enjoying it so far.

You should have Slim make some Reaction Dynamics t-shirts for you to sell to fans.  I'd buy one.

Mike
Mike Kelly - PROUD owner of the V4F that powered the #1931 VGC to a 82.803 mph record in 2008!

Offline MAYOMAN

« Reply #80 on: October 24, 2020, 07:28:48 AM »
Here is what we wore at the 40th anniversary at Bonneville. Need new artwork for the other. Vote?

Offline MAYOMAN

« Reply #81 on: October 24, 2020, 07:29:52 AM »
OOPS! thought I had loaded both.

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #82 on: October 24, 2020, 09:39:54 AM »
Looks like a front/back and sleeve to me....
Maybe Slim can put that on a high quality tee...  :cheers:
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #83 on: October 24, 2020, 09:53:10 AM »
Yes, I can make T-shirts and put whatever art/text you want on 'em.  The process is dye sublimation - NOT silk screen - and there are some important differences.  The good news is that I can put photos (any text/art) in full color   If you can deal with the differences - send me the art and I'll make shirts.

White shirts only.  Sleeves and front and back - all okay.  The shirts must be polyester - CANNOT be cotton. 

That's about it.  Any questions?
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline MAYOMAN

« Reply #84 on: November 10, 2020, 09:40:21 AM »
PorkPie, I sent the museum 20 copies of the book for the gift shop. The EU regulations with VAT are impossible for me to deal with - so a gift works fine.
I am nearly done on a German translation of the book - for the museum et al.
It is available online at Amazon. My webpage provides a link as well: https://speedquestbook.com/
I hope Bonneville enthusiasts will enjoy this historic event, The Blue Flame and Gary Gabelich setting the last American absolute world land speed record on the Bonneville Salt Flats.

Offline PorkPie

• think fast.....always
« Reply #85 on: November 10, 2020, 10:11:50 AM »
Dick,

the missing 19 books arrived safe and fine on Monday....so here everything is ok

About the book,

the reader had to be aware...this is not a historical book about speedrecords...

it is a very well written non-fiction book about the Blue Flame....part tells why the Blue Flame was create, build and finally became the record holder....

most and maybe the more interested part is the technical parts, which explains what was all necessary to do to reach the goal....with all the up and downs...

so as life is like a rollercoaster run...the build of the Blue Flame was not a straight line to the success.

Dick, thanks again for the copy
Pork Pie

Offline TD

« Reply #86 on: November 10, 2020, 08:00:05 PM »
Yes, I can make T-shirts and put whatever art/text you want on 'em.  The process is dye sublimation - NOT silk screen - and there are some important differences.  The good news is that I can put photos (any text/art) in full color   If you can deal with the differences - send me the art and I'll make shirts.

White shirts only.  Sleeves and front and back - all okay.  The shirts must be polyester - CANNOT be cotton. 

That's about it.  Any questions?

I have a question - Where / when can I order???    :cheers:

Offline ggl205

• G/FL 218.282 since 1995. G/FL record since 1993.
« Reply #87 on: November 10, 2020, 08:05:22 PM »
Jon:

When T-shirts are ready, I would like two in 3X but please get heavy tees. Too bad you can?t do cotton but is there a heavy material in polyester?

John

Offline MAYOMAN

« Reply #88 on: November 18, 2020, 07:34:39 PM »
Fifty years ago, October 1970, 3 young men from Milwaukee in their twenties, (Dick Keller, Pete Farnsworth and Ray Dausman) had created The Blue Flame rocket-powered automobile which set the world land speed record at 630.388 miles per hour, the first over 1,000 kilometers per hour.

Speedquest, Inside the Blue Flame is the story of our dogged determination to realize our goal. Each member of the team worked tirelessly to create a vehicle that would not only beat all land speed records, but our ?secret? hope was to beat the sound barrier too!

After 5 years? effort we were finally able to bring The Blue Flame to the Bonneville salt flats and show the world what we had created.
At the end of 5 weeks on the Bonneville Salt Flats, we shattered the world record with a top speed of 630.388 mph (1,014.656 kph), and were prepared to go even faster the next day when a snowstorm prohibited us from trying again. The Blue Flame and Gary Gabelich was the last American car and driver to hold the world land speed record.

Lastly, included is all the technical data as addendums, so even the most technically advanced readers will learn something from this book.
It is a moment of American history that shows what can be accomplished when brains, energy and commitment are directed toward a goal, and still stands as of one of the great efforts of the late 20th century.

The book is available from Amazon in softback and eBook formats.
The web page is: https://speedquestbook.com/

Offline TD

« Reply #89 on: May 09, 2021, 05:44:41 PM »
Hi all, are plans for the 50th / 51st anniversary event moving forward, or is it too early to tell?

Thanks,
Tim