Author Topic: The Blue Flame's 50th Anniversary  (Read 32818 times)

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
Re: The Blue Flame's 50th Anniversary
« Reply #60 on: October 22, 2020, 11:13:39 AM »
I received my copy a few days ago and I am looking forward to reading it- thanks.
Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ

Offline MAYOMAN

« Reply #61 on: October 22, 2020, 11:21:26 AM »
The primary sponsor, the natural gas industry did not know how to exploit the achievement. They had some initial publicity but even used the wrong (mile) speed in their PR. I have been working 50 years to correct that. The Blue Flame absolute world land speed record was 630.388 miles per hour (1,014.656 kilometers per hour) for the flying start kilometer.
Goodyear Tire Company would have/should have been the major publicity generator for Gary and The Blue Flame. Gary, listening to awful advice from his California posse, refused to sign a publicity contract with Goodyear. That cost him a tidy sum, continued racing sponsorship, and recognition of his driving achievement. It also cost The Blue Flame team recognition for designing, building, and record setting - the first over 1,000 kilometers per hour - the kilometer record not broken for 27 years.
Goodyear's initial short-lived publicity even erased Gary's name from the photos of the car. They continued to promote Breedlove.
Now, even the National Museum of American History's new exhibit - A Nation of Speed - has sidelined The Blue Flame's achievement as the LAST AMERICAN CAR AND DRIVER TO SET THE ABSOLUTE WORLD LAND SPEED RECORD. 50 years ago!
The road is long - Life is short - Drive fast

Offline PorkPie

• think fast.....always
« Reply #62 on: October 22, 2020, 12:19:20 PM »
Dick,

about this...

Now, even the National Museum of American History's new exhibit - A Nation of Speed - has sidelined The Blue Flame's achievement as the LAST AMERICAN CAR AND DRIVER TO SET THE ABSOLUTE WORLD LAND SPEED RECORD. 50 years ago!

they didn't found it on their smart phone so the record didn't exist...sometimes it is a sad world....

by the way....tomorrow I will be in the museum and say your baby hi from you....and celebrate the 50's
Pork Pie

Photoartist & Historian & 200 MPH Club Member (I/GL 202.8 mph in the orig. Bockscar #1000)

Offline MAYOMAN

« Reply #63 on: October 22, 2020, 01:38:21 PM »
Say "hello" to the museum staff. I just received the video interview they shot last week. I hope it is informative.

Offline MAYOMAN

« Reply #64 on: October 22, 2020, 01:42:44 PM »
My point on The Blue Flame's historic non-recognition is illustrated in this Goodyear ad. The text does not mention the last American driver to hold the absolute world land speed record, Gary Gabelich. His name is gone from the car. This was the only ad by Goodyear that I can recall. I have an original copy someplace, but this was on the web.

Offline MAYOMAN

« Reply #65 on: October 22, 2020, 02:15:17 PM »
Trying to beat that dead horse to death! Here is a clearer image of that infamous Goodyear ad with Gary's name (and Gerard Brennan's) air brushed from the image.
I'll drop this subject for now. Just don't want any doubters.

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #66 on: October 22, 2020, 03:57:22 PM »
Hey Pork Pie, take a picture for Linda and me... we had planned to be there with you... See if someone will take one with you and the car...
Maybe we can visit next year
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline N72727

« Reply #67 on: October 23, 2020, 02:27:01 AM »
The Blue Flame - October 23, 1970 - 2020.

Offline Malcolm UK

« Reply #68 on: October 23, 2020, 04:43:15 AM »
... we had planned to be there with you... Maybe we can visit next year

Many members from the Speed Record Club had planned to be in Sinsheim this year too. If it is possible to travel more widely in 2021, perhaps a '50+1 Anniversary' for Blue Flame can be organised, with the same attendance and speakers? It will be put on an SRC Agenda.
Malcolm UK, Derby, England.

Offline TrickyDicky

« Reply #69 on: October 23, 2020, 04:57:50 AM »
The Blue Flame - October 23, 1970 - 2020.

I've not seen that picture before.  Is there a story behind it?

Offline MAYOMAN

« Reply #70 on: October 23, 2020, 07:47:54 AM »
Malcolm - I plan to go to Sinsheim in 2021 for the 50+1 anniversary if there are any airlines left to fly there, and if we are allowed to enter the EU.
TrickyDicky - that photo was taken on run 7, verifying the catalyst pack was fatally damaged, and huge exhaust cloud made that dramatic shot. After we repaired the rocket and finally achieved correct LNG/HTP ratio, the flaming exhaust diamonds weren't as dramatic.

BTW - today is "Illinois Blue Flame Day" in Chicago.

Offline TrickyDicky

« Reply #71 on: October 23, 2020, 08:30:32 AM »
?

TrickyDicky - that photo was taken on run 7, verifying the catalyst pack was fatally damaged, and huge exhaust cloud made that dramatic shot. After we repaired the rocket and finally achieved correct LNG/HTP ratio, the flaming exhaust diamonds weren't as dramatic.

Thanks Dick for the information.  Nearly every other picture (at Bonneville) seems to be from the other side, so I was intrigued there was a photographer in that position.

By the way, I am another who bought the book after you flagged its publication on this forum.  Coincidentally I finished it last night, just in time to join in today's virtual celebrations!   :friday

Offline N72727

« Reply #72 on: October 23, 2020, 08:37:25 AM »
Just found some pictures from 2014 on Flickr here :

https://www.flickr.com/photos/26329029@N06/with/15867199476/

Is this Gerard Brennan in the middle with the Reaction Dynamics patch on the jacket ?

Offline MAYOMAN

« Reply #73 on: October 23, 2020, 09:35:43 AM »
That is Gerard Brennan in the center of the photo. He was, of course, our reserve driver for The Blue Flame. More important, he was a master welder in the fabrication of the car. Gerard also was in the cockpit for the second round of static testing of the rocket engine at the Great Lakes Dragaway, as Gary was unavailable that week.
Gerard lives in a Chicago suburb and that photo was taken at a commemoration of the first organized automobile race in America - in Chicago. Can't recall the year since I wasn't around then.

Offline N72727

« Reply #74 on: October 23, 2020, 10:11:14 AM »
Glad to see that this model still exists.