Author Topic: The Blue Flame's 50th Anniversary  (Read 32853 times)

Offline tortoise

Re: The Blue Flame's 50th Anniversary
« Reply #105 on: September 26, 2023, 10:43:47 AM »
Why weren't the rear wheels enclosed?

Offline MAYOMAN

« Reply #106 on: September 26, 2023, 11:20:53 AM »
Testing in the transonic wind tunnel at Ohio State University we found the rear wheel fairings caused pitching instability. We tested several configurations before we decided on the design we built.
The road is long - Life is short - Drive fast

Offline floydjer

• "There is no duck side of the moon..."
« Reply #107 on: September 27, 2023, 11:58:50 AM »
Thanks Mr. K...Like Eric, I wonder how the steering was accomplished. Did the carriage the wheels were mounted in pivot at one end ? And how was it connected to the driver's compartment? And, Are there any photos from the cars construction? Those would be very interesting . Thank you, Jerry
I`d never advocate drugs,alcohol,violence or insanity to anyone...But they work for me.

Offline MAYOMAN

« Reply #108 on: September 27, 2023, 05:33:02 PM »
I wish that I had better photos of the steering mechanism. It is a 4-bar linkage operated through a drag link from the steering wheel, which ran the length of the chassis, and operated a double bell crank to pivot the cradle holding the front wheels. I will have to send pictures in 2 messages due to size limitations.

Offline MAYOMAN

« Reply #109 on: September 27, 2023, 05:36:14 PM »
Here is an image of the complete steering assembly. The steering link operates on the tab located between the 2 centering springs.

Offline floydjer

« Reply #110 on: September 27, 2023, 05:44:22 PM »
The pics cleared that up nicely...Thanks. JB
I`d never advocate drugs,alcohol,violence or insanity to anyone...But they work for me.

Offline MAYOMAN

« Reply #111 on: September 27, 2023, 07:48:18 PM »
The aerodynamics and the steering worked perfectly through all of our runs. The Blue Flame ran straight-arrow. There was no tire wear at all due to scrubbing - or anything. Too bad it snowed overnight October 23-24. We could have picked up another 20 to 30 mph with increased H2O2 percentage the next day. We gradually overcome all of our obstacles and finally got the job done.

Offline floydjer

« Reply #112 on: September 28, 2023, 09:53:10 AM »
You gents did a fine job...Just curious, How far down course did the car roll before coming to a stop?

Offline MAYOMAN

« Reply #113 on: September 28, 2023, 12:37:38 PM »
USAC-FIA laid out a 10 mile course on the salt flats running roughly from US40 (I-80) and northeast direction, toward floating mountain. Timing for both the mile and kilometer was between the 5-mile and 6-mile markers. The Blue Flame rocket was driven at full thrust with fuel exhausted at the mid-mile, then coasting through before deploying the braking parachutes. The peak speed during the 630.388mph record run was observed onboard at 660mph. We were obligated by Goodyear not to exceed 700mph in 1970. The car stopped by releasing a 7 feet diameter chute at 650mph and a 16 feet chute at 250mph. We stopped within 4 miles normally.

Offline floydjer

« Reply #114 on: September 28, 2023, 01:20:07 PM »
Thank you...I see Amazon has your book in stock, I shall order a copy and quit bugging you😇...JB

Offline MAYOMAN

« Reply #115 on: September 28, 2023, 02:04:41 PM »
Not bugging - it is history. I am fortunate to have much of the information in my archives. Glad to share. Since the car and rocket motor were scratch-built, there is a lot of design information not readily available for interested parties. Enjoy the book. Don't forget the Youtube videos as well.

Offline MAYOMAN

« Reply #116 on: October 22, 2023, 05:15:17 PM »
If anyone is wanting to research The Blue Flame story, I have donated all of my records to the Marriott Library at the University of Utah Special Collections. The Summary and Biographical is full of my name because the collection is copyrighted at the US Patent Office. Marriott required the copyright to add to their archive. Being located in Salt Lake City, their collection of Bonneville information is amazing.

Offline WOODY@DDLLC

• ECTA made it to AR-Kansas!
    • Design Dreams, LLC
« Reply #117 on: October 23, 2023, 08:43:48 AM »
Thanks Mr. Keller!  :cheers:
I feel another day has been added to my annual Utah adventure!
Now we'll have some place to go when B'ville gets rained out! :-P
All models are wrong, but some are useful! G.E. Box (1967) www.designdreams.biz

Offline MAYOMAN

« Reply #118 on: October 23, 2023, 09:29:34 AM »
Go fer it! That's all there is - there ain't no more!

Offline tallguy

« Reply #119 on: November 09, 2023, 01:47:17 AM »
Trying to beat that dead horse to death! Here is a clearer image of that infamous Goodyear ad with Gary's name (and Gerard Brennan's) air brushed from the image.
I'll drop this subject for now. Just don't want any doubters.

I want to acknowledge the achievement of the Blue Flame's team.  I have immense respect for all the people who came together
to achieve the success of this project.  People deserve to be recognized for their impressive achievements.  This one stands out
to me, in part, because it was done in an impressively short period of time.