Poll

Have you contacted CBS about their article?

Yes and told them I felt it mis-aligned the racing community and what is taking place.
12 (75%)
Yes and told them that it was an accurate account of what is taking place.
0 (0%)
No, don't have the time.
0 (0%)
No, didn't feel like it would make a difference.
4 (25%)
Other and I will explain...
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 16

Voting closed: January 15, 2020, 09:08:32 PM

Author Topic: Yes I took a few minutes and sent a letter or email to CBS about their article..  (Read 7035 times)

Offline maj

Thanks for posting the 1989  link , i got a lot more out of it than just the BLM comments
but when he said about the studies  previous, current and future and was able to quantify the salt loss ... Where are they now ? do you guys have a freedom of information thing like us, that would make these available ?

Offline ggl205

• G/FL 218.282 since 1995. G/FL record since 1993.
Ed, it sure would have been easier to swallow if what?s her face had not smirked so sanctimoniously when telling us to take a break for a couple of years. Yeah, right. Is this the best that woman could come up with? Just ignore history and chalk it up to geological phenomenon?! With this kind of fuzzy logic, she will tell us Intrepid and other past mining operations actually stunted salt loss. Hard to believe that organizations like SCTA and USFRA are being lectured by this low level government functionary.

John

Offline gnomenator

Am I the only one who thinks it's SAD and DISGRACEFUL that out if all the members on this forum, only 13 have indicated they took the time to voice their opinion on a grave dis-service done to us  and our cherished Salt Flats by the CBS broadcast?? :-( :dhorse:

Offline ggl205

• G/FL 218.282 since 1995. G/FL record since 1993.
I bet more did but did not take the pole posted on this forum. Anyway, getting media to change or correct past misrepresentations is near impossible, even when given the facts.

John

John

Offline RichFox

Bolivia hasn?t managed to produce significant volumes of lithium or lithium products. But it is home to the world?s largest salt flat, covering 6,437 kilometers (4,000 square miles), and holding more than 15% of the world?s unmined lithium resources. And the miners are setting up.

Offline Happy Pappy

Chris Campbell
2017 #203 G/GR El mirage record 150.771
2020 #62 C/AIR El Mirage record 180.828
6/21 #62 C/AIR El Mirage record 185.488
9/21 #62 C/AIR El Mirage record 194.450

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
Short write up on Racing Junk
https://www.racingjunk.com/news/2019/10/07/the-future-of-the-bonneville-salt-flats/?utm_source=Newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Burnoutnewsletter

Chris

the Bureau of Land Management acknowledges a seven percent decrease of the crust package over the last decade and a half

One problem we have is Brenda and the BLM look at the whole "crust package" which includes the salt that has also migrated down feet into the mud.  This makes loosing the surface salt that we need not look so bad percentage wise.  What a bunch of B.S.. 

?I would say leave it alone for a few years,? said Bowen. ?Don?t come out here. Don?t drive on it when it?s wet; give it a minute and let?s see where it gets to. I mean, it?s not a racetrack in a warehouse. It?s not an indoor environment. It?s nature and it needs to replenish.?

It took thousands of years for the salt to be deposited there as water carried the salt from the mountains to the depression that is the salt flats.  A couple years might add a couple thousands of an inch from that source.  It is a closed basin with no outlet except the one to Intrepid.
 I'm wondering if she has a degree in anything.  I can't see how she can call herself a 'scientist'  :roll:.

Sumner
« Last Edit: October 12, 2019, 10:31:52 AM by Sumner »

Offline fordboy628

• GONE FISHIN' . . .
Short write up on Racing Junk
https://www.racingjunk.com/news/2019/10/07/the-future-of-the-bonneville-salt-flats/?utm_source=Newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Burnoutnewsletter

Chris

the Bureau of Land Management acknowledges a seven percent decrease of the crust package over the last decade and a half

One problem we have is Brenda and the BLM look at the whole "crust package" which includes the salt that has also migrated down feet into the mud.  This makes loosing the surface salt that we need not look so bad percentage wise.  What a bunch of B.S.. 

?I would say leave it alone for a few years,? said Bowen. ?Don?t come out here. Don?t drive on it when it?s wet; give it a minute and let?s see where it gets to. I mean, it?s not a racetrack in a warehouse. It?s not an indoor environment. It?s nature and it needs to replenish.?

It took thousands of years for the salt to be deposited there as water carried the salt from the mountains to the depression that is the salt flats.  A couple years might add a couple thousands of an inch from that source.  It is a closed basin with no outlet except the one to Intrepid.
 I'm wondering if she has a degree in anything.  I can't see how she can call herself a 'scientist'  :roll:.

Sumner

Sumner, et all,

It appears that the "science" at issue here, is merely the "science" to "justify" continued allowance of mining among the "multi-uses" of a national monument.    This defies common sense, insofar as mining is "extractive" and incompatible with the idea of "multi-use".     In the concept of multi-use, the resource is "shared" among all users.     I fail to grasp any situation in which extraction, in HUGE volumes, is remotely compatible with other usages.     Since the resource is not "infinite", as we are now seeing, extraction, at some point, removes most of what has value.   That's the way mining works.

She may have a "Science degree", but her functioning here defies credulity.     Her report merely gives lip service to "repair" of the Salt Flats, while allowing the BLM and the mining interests to continue to either "mismanage" or "extract" a finite resource.     As the ancients observed, "One can only serve one master."    Some choices need to be made . . . . . . .

No significant change to the Salt Flats will occur until the mining of the National Monument is terminated, and procedures are put in place to return the "by-products" back to north of the Interstate highway.     It has taken decades for the situation to deteriorate to the current conditions.    And I can only wonder how many of us might survive to see the "racing surface" restored to its' former glory.      My guess is that most of us will see Ray and Glenn, before we see the racing surface restored . . . . . . .

:dhorse:  :dhorse:  :dhorse:
Realityboy
Science, NOT Magic . . . .

I used to be a people person.  But people changed that relationship.

"There is nothing permanent except change."    Heraclitus

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."     Albert Einstein

Offline Rickr

• New folks
I did receive a very generic reply. I don't know how to forward it so I'll just re-type it here. "Dear Richard, Thank you for contacting CBS News Customer Support. Thanks so much for you feedback. Our viewers are important to us, and we care about what you have to say. Rest assured that your comments have been forwarded to the appropriate team. Sincerely, Jorieena CBS News Customer Support."

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
... Rest assured that your comments have been forwarded to the appropriate team...."

... team's circular file   :x

I never received anything myself,

Sumner