Author Topic: CBS National News Coverage for Bonneville Salt Flats  (Read 15697 times)

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
Re: CBS National News Coverage for Bonneville Salt Flats
« Reply #15 on: October 05, 2019, 10:26:26 AM »
B1tch Brenda (that's BB right?) thinks the racers should stay off the salt for a couple of years.  My guess is so the mining can remove the remainder of the material without any complaints.  Then maybe she can get a pile of cash to "do a multi-million dollar government study" to figure out where it's gone...
Hey... it's across the road.... and it will continue to move there till there is none left.
Sure the strip miners are returning some salt.... way less than they are removing, but they are using it to wash more down the drain
I hope the rest of the public won't want their national landmark to disappear until all that is left is that well kept section of salt at the rest area... that is on display to keep the public from seeing the results of strip mining.
probably  :dhorse:
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Online manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #16 on: October 05, 2019, 11:29:42 AM »
CBS spent an inordinate amount of time on the Smirking Scientist. The BS started at about 3 minutes into that segment.

BTW, thanks to Olivia Nish for bring a helmet out to the track from SLC during WoS for me to try. Neither that helmet or Rob Freyvogel's solved my problem but I appreciate their assistance.
Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ

Offline kiwi belly tank

« Reply #17 on: October 05, 2019, 12:21:11 PM »
Thank you Dennis Sullivan for actually speaking the stark truth. Hopefully that statement will put an end to the racing advocates tip toeing around on egg shells to try & not pi$$ off the BLM.
  Sid.

Offline ggl205

• G/FL 218.282 since 1995. G/FL record since 1993.
« Reply #18 on: October 05, 2019, 02:41:24 PM »
Just finished watching the video clip. Flat out, unbelievable! Everyone asking the question, ?where did the salt go? and the BLM says Mother Nature, in the face of thousands of tons sitting south of 1-80. Mining operations over the decades? Of course not, says the BLM. Just stop racing for a couple of years and see what happens. Could BB have given a more, biased, uninformed and ridicules response? Well, it is the BLM, after all.

With this kind of governments and bureaucratic thinking, the flats are doomed to disappear forever.

John

Offline joea

« Reply #19 on: October 05, 2019, 07:48:12 PM »
no one who has been going to Bonneville for some time, is surprised AT ALL

this is how it has deteriorated for so long

business as usual

racers asked to perhaps "stay off" for a bit , while mining continues

brilliant AF

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #20 on: October 05, 2019, 08:50:06 PM »
I stand by my post on Sept. 28 . . .

"Probably have fatass giving the yearly I've-done-it-all report."
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
« Reply #21 on: October 05, 2019, 08:54:18 PM »
In the written article....

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/utah-bonneville-salt-flats-racing-debate-rages-over-its-future-2019-10-05/

...... they show this picture....

(Caption under picture) Racing leaves marks on the surface of the Bonneville Salt Flats  CBS NEWS

How bias is that?  It would be nice if someone could get them to at least retract that and say that picture has nothing to do with the racing,

Sumner

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
« Reply #22 on: October 05, 2019, 09:17:01 PM »
Ok so I got riled up enough to write the following to CBS and hope that many of you follow suit...
===============================================================

This is in reference to your recent article about the Bonneville Salt Flats...

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/utah-bonneville-salt-flats-racing-debate-rages-over-its-future-2019-10-05/

I was very dismayed to see the picture of the damage to the salt flats and your caption under the picture that said...

"Racing leaves marks on the surface of the Bonneville Salt Flats  CBS NEWS"

That is not damage from racers on the salt flats.  If a person was caught doing that on the salt by the racing organizations they would be banned for life from attending any meets on the salt.

The salt flats are open year around to the public with the exception for racing meets.  The salt is policed during events to prevent damage to the surface.  Unfortunately during the rest of the year some people do go out there and create damage at the edges of the salt.  This is against the law and the racing community fully supports law enforcement in apprehending anyone who does damage to the salt surface.

I feel it is the papers duty to make a retraction and set the record straight that what is shown in that picture is not a result of the racing community.

It is the racing community that has brought the mining of the salt and subsequent storage of it south of the salt flats to the attention of the world and have fought for this unique national treasure to be preserved.

Sincerely,

Sumner Patterson

Offline sdroadster

« Reply #23 on: October 05, 2019, 10:44:02 PM »
Did you notice that the news anchor referred to racers as "greasers" ? I suspect they are trying to send a subliminal message.

Offline desotoman

« Reply #24 on: October 05, 2019, 11:07:05 PM »
In the written article....

...... they show this picture....

(Caption under picture) Racing leaves marks on the surface of the Bonneville Salt Flats  CBS NEWS

How bias is that?  It would be nice if someone could get them to at least retract that and say that picture has nothing to do with the racing,

Sumner

Fake News about Bonneville. I guess nothing is sacred anymore.

Tom G.
I love the USA. How much longer will we be a free nation?

Asking questions is one's only way of getting answers.

The rational person lets verified facts form or modify his opinion.  The ideologue ignores verified facts which don't fit his preconceived opinions.

Online manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #25 on: October 06, 2019, 12:54:57 AM »
Did you notice that the news anchor referred to racers as "greasers" ? I suspect they are trying to send a subliminal message.

Back in my high school days that word (greaser) was a "racial slur."
Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ

Offline Bobbyhotrods

• New folks
« Reply #26 on: October 06, 2019, 11:27:55 AM »
The irony that a place of no BS has become a place of BS is not lost on me.

Offline RidgeRunner

« Reply #27 on: October 06, 2019, 02:20:18 PM »
    Well spoken Bobby - maximum truth with minimum words   :clap

Ed

Offline Dakin Engineering

« Reply #28 on: October 06, 2019, 04:07:45 PM »
Has there ever been national news coverage of our problem before?

We should flood CBS with Thank You! email.  Offer to share your experience and love of the Salt Flats. Then pic nits.

We made the news, use the opportunity.

Sam
Turbo Sportsters since '97

Offline racergeo

« Reply #29 on: October 06, 2019, 04:19:36 PM »
    What so called news agency looks at huge piles of salt and doesn't ask, how did mother nature get that salt over there. Maybe one that is looking to cover for the "swamp"?