Author Topic: RIP Jesse Combs  (Read 17152 times)

Offline mc1984ss

Re: RIP Jesse Combs
« Reply #15 on: August 31, 2019, 07:30:01 PM »
I'm sure most people already know this but the North American Eagle team is asking people not to donate to any of the "causes" etc. in Jesse's name. They stated on thier Facebook page that they are all a scan. They said there will be memorial later. RIP Jesse

Offline pasingas

• New folks
« Reply #16 on: August 31, 2019, 11:49:58 PM »
 They had a series  on tv when they were building that thing and testing it and everything else and I don?t remember seeing any type of structure other than the airframe this lady lost her life in a car that was not safe the sad thing is is that the people put it together didn?t spend the time to actually put in any type of framing or structure to make sure that the occupant was safe in any type of accident
« Last Edit: September 01, 2019, 12:14:23 AM by pasingas »

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #17 on: September 01, 2019, 08:44:33 AM »
Pasingas, you are a new poster here, and because of that I'll simply ask you to fess up and tell us who you are.   Coming out kinda strong about what was lacking in the car is not especially helpful to those that are grieving the loss of a racer.

While we're all racers (in one way or another) here -- the privilege of being (direct) rude is earned by establishing credentials, so to speak.  Who are you?

Thanks.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #18 on: September 01, 2019, 12:20:07 PM »
Jon, he could be the guy who's first post gets deleted if he does not do an intro post here or on the intro thread... 
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #19 on: September 01, 2019, 02:45:02 PM »
For those of you that don't know it, eructation is a doctor-kinda word that means the expulsion of gas from the body.

In other words, a nice way of saying belch - or fart, which is indicated in this case by his use of the location definer "Rear" in his city name.

Come on, let's give him a chance to dig himself outa this.   8-)
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline gnomenator

« Reply #20 on: September 01, 2019, 04:28:48 PM »
Well said Slim and others!  I, for one, am glad that you called him on it ! Maybe he thinks he's giving us an 'education' with his 'knowledge' , but as you and several other people have said, this is NOT the time to slam a person, family or team. Can't even imagine how the people involved in the build of this machine feel! As the old saying goes' if you can't say something nice -shut the f**K' up ! RIP Jessi  :cheers: :cheers:

Offline pasingas

• New folks
« Reply #21 on: September 01, 2019, 04:44:06 PM »
Where I come from is my father raised flat bottom K boats in the 70s as a young child I seen several critical accidents and at the age of 12 I watched a man die in a race boat due to the fact he put a boat back together and severely broken In an accident two weeks prior to his  fail accident in Provo harbor  since then I?ve race dirt sprint cars late models and been involved in a lot of restorations  i?ve been friends with Kirkham David Kirkham at kirkham motorsports we were there for the first of the cobra family actually owns the first sold cobra  been friends with Mike Cook jellybean and speedy  and Mike LeFevre  and I?ve watched the salt for a lot of years and has my experience?ve built several sprint cars and several late model race cars for the dirt been very successful at it and see someone build a car in the way I seen that car built my father my brother and myself all felt the car with dangers when it was being built  and I feel very bad for Jessie?s family and teammates and everything else produce for the builders of a car you should?ve spent a lot more time and put safety at the top of the list I?m sorry you feel I?m being very critical but I feel like the lady lost her life he do to you necklace and everything is been learned on the salt and all of the time and all of the people giving their lives to teach us how to be safe and how to do this sport should be listened to hey you can do whatever you want to maybe and me I don?t really care but Had the car been built to SFI safety regulations and been under some sanctioning body it was going to look out for possible problems very sorry again my heart goes out to her family her friends and her crewmates
« Last Edit: September 01, 2019, 06:36:27 PM by pasingas »

Offline johnneilson

« Reply #22 on: September 01, 2019, 04:47:52 PM »
It is never a good day that someone loses while participating in an endeavor of passion, better than other options I am sure.
RIP Jessi, we miss you.

Also, Anthonie Hubert, may you always start from pole and land on the podium top step.

So I downloaded the FiA sporting regs on landspeed vehicles and found some interesting wording.

ex; DA 1.1.2 ?SCTA? refers to the current rulebook for the Southern California Timing Association.

DA2.2.3 Rollcage and rollcage padding (REQUIRED)
DA2.2.3.a Saloon cars shall have a rollcage and rollcage padding. It is recommended that the rollcage and rollcage padding
follow FIA Article 253.8 of Appendix J or SCTA 3.B-3.C.
DA2.2.3.b All other vehicles where FIA Article 253.8 of Appendix J is not applicable are strongly recommended to follow SCTA
3.B-3.C. Vehicles of monocoque design must have equivalent safety.
DA2.2.4 Seat belt (REQUIRED)
DA2.2.4.a All vehicles are required to have a minimum 5-point seat belt. All belts shall be in good condition.
DA2.2.4.b It is strongly recommended that the seat belt follows FIA standard 8853-98 or 8853-2016, or SFI 16.1 or 16.5.
DA2.2.4.c SFI-certified seat belts shall have a manufacturer?s tag with a legible date not more than 2 years old.
DA2.2.4.d It is recommended that the installation follows FIA Article 253.6 of Appendix J, independently if the harness is FIA- or
SFI-approved.
DA2.2.4.e Extremely reclined drivers shall use 7-point seat belts. It is recommended that the installation follows SCTA 3.D.2.

In addition to other details not pasted over, there are aerodynamic stability requirements and data to be supplied to FiA with application for attempts. (especially over 500 kph)

While I hear complaints about the safety rules SCTA enforces as minimums, it should be noted that the FiA refers to the SCTA book as a International Standard. No complaints here.

Enjoy the rest of the weekend, J
As Carroll Smith wrote; All Failures are Human in Origin.

Offline racergeo

« Reply #23 on: September 01, 2019, 04:59:26 PM »
    Andy Green would have never gotten in that thing. Look at the effort the Blood Hound team went to in order to protect him.  Good interview of Andy on Jay Leno's Garage.

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #24 on: September 01, 2019, 05:05:36 PM »
 :dhorse:  This is a choice every sea captain, pilot, skier or chicken that crosses the busy road has to decide individually:  does my risk to get from point a to b in this vessel or vehicle under these conditions keep me from going---it is a personal choice ---the rules may help increase ones odds but it is a personal choice:  She decided to crawl in and go-- for her personal goal---her risk her reward--HER CHOICE
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline PorkPie

• think fast.....always
« Reply #25 on: September 01, 2019, 06:02:36 PM »
Sorry,

in the last days I read here and on several FB pages so much S H .....from people, that I have the feeling that they haven't the clue for one cent....

If you make a comment like this here, you better make your job right before you publish it....

FIA.....the first time ever they had a safety requirements and here especially for land speed record attempts was to the

Before, there was for land speed records only a minimum requirement...

in the 60's they had no seat belts under FIA.....

The first time the requirements to the new standards of 01.01.2016 was complete published to the

so long it needs to be certified by lawyers......

Up to 31.12.2015 the NAE was legal under the requirements rules by the FIA.......and the NAE project starts in the 90's....

Stop to make speculations and blaming the NAE team and poor Jessi for something if the real facts are missing

R.I.P. little Jessi....

It is never a good day that someone loses while participating in an endeavor of passion, better than other options I am sure.
RIP Jessi, we miss you.

Also, Anthonie Hubert, may you always start from pole and land on the podium top step.

So I downloaded the FiA sporting regs on landspeed vehicles and found some interesting wording.

ex; DA 1.1.2 ?SCTA? refers to the current rulebook for the Southern California Timing Association.

DA2.2.3 Rollcage and rollcage padding (REQUIRED)
DA2.2.3.a Saloon cars shall have a rollcage and rollcage padding. It is recommended that the rollcage and rollcage padding
follow FIA Article 253.8 of Appendix J or SCTA 3.B-3.C.
DA2.2.3.b All other vehicles where FIA Article 253.8 of Appendix J is not applicable are strongly recommended to follow SCTA
3.B-3.C. Vehicles of monocoque design must have equivalent safety.
DA2.2.4 Seat belt (REQUIRED)
DA2.2.4.a All vehicles are required to have a minimum 5-point seat belt. All belts shall be in good condition.
DA2.2.4.b It is strongly recommended that the seat belt follows FIA standard 8853-98 or 8853-2016, or SFI 16.1 or 16.5.
DA2.2.4.c SFI-certified seat belts shall have a manufacturer?s tag with a legible date not more than 2 years old.
DA2.2.4.d It is recommended that the installation follows FIA Article 253.6 of Appendix J, independently if the harness is FIA- or
SFI-approved.
DA2.2.4.e Extremely reclined drivers shall use 7-point seat belts. It is recommended that the installation follows SCTA 3.D.2.

In addition to other details not pasted over, there are aerodynamic stability requirements and data to be supplied to FiA with application for attempts. (especially over 500 kph)

While I hear complaints about the safety rules SCTA enforces as minimums, it should be noted that the FiA refers to the SCTA book as a International Standard. No complaints here.

Enjoy the rest of the weekend, J
« Last Edit: September 02, 2019, 09:45:08 AM by PorkPie »
Pork Pie

Photoartist & Historian & 200 MPH Club Member (I/GL 202.8 mph in the orig. Bockscar #1000)

Offline ski123

« Reply #26 on: September 02, 2019, 12:22:49 PM »
As it stands we really know nothing yet.  I have been critical of the NAE team and their cloak of secrecy in the past, so this is nothing new.  Details will emerge.  Jessi knew what she was doing and knew what she was getting into.  If she didn't think it was safe that was her decision, and that's ok.  She wasn't afraid to be on the edge, that can be a pretty cool way to live your life.  I'm sad for her family, the NAE family and LSR community and everybody that enjoyed her on tv, but I also feel like everything is going to be ok.  Bloodhound will be online soon and will also feel the gravity of the situation and Jessi will be remembered. Like I mentioned I have been a huge critic of this team but there is nothing for me to add but condolences. Sad times.  The next record will only mean more. Time heals most wounds. RIP.

Offline smitty2

• Worlds fastest miniature Pachyderm.
« Reply #27 on: September 02, 2019, 02:09:24 PM »
I'm holding back any judgement until I get the facts. I've been a critic and a supporter for years. I met Ed Shadle at the reunion and agree that a roll cage would have been of no use at the speeds this car was capable of.
Until I learn more all I can say about this is "You buy a ticket... you take the chance."
 RIP Jessi and Ed. You both will be dearly missed.

Offline Crosley

« Reply #28 on: September 02, 2019, 07:28:41 PM »
RIP Jessi...   She was a great ambassador for automotive sports. Generating interest from the younger crowd be that spectators or future fabricators to drivers.

I hope the facts are fully released when the crash  investigation is complete.
Tony in AZ...

"If you find yourself in a ditch.... let up on the throttle"

Offline trimmers

• Jeff in Boise
« Reply #29 on: September 04, 2019, 02:22:27 PM »
There's now a video of the run on Faux News.  It's taken from quite a distance, so all you can really see is a rooster tail of dirt.  It appears to end before anything happens.

Jeff in Boise
------------- 1 of just 3 in all 3  -------------
USFRA 130 MPH Club 09/18/2008 136.757
USFRA 150 MPH Club 09/17/2009 152.162
Bonneville 200 MPH Club 09/15/2019 218.600
Best Run: 253.080 MPH 09/14/2019 #6556