Author Topic: Burt Munro's Records  (Read 15927 times)

Offline Marcroux

Re: Burt Munro's Records
« Reply #30 on: December 13, 2006, 03:24:23 AM »
  My understanding is the Texas Cigar was clocked under AMA sanction and the FIM would not recognized it. How much would it cost to get FIM sanction at I have no idea but they probably didn't do so because it had very little meaning and important to them and most American bike racers during this time .   
 Triumph in England advertised the record as the world fastest and got into trouble with the FIM leading to an one year ban of advertising any FIM race wins and records by Triumph. I do not know where the power to do so came from or how they could enforced it.
 Marc

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
« Reply #31 on: December 13, 2006, 06:20:29 AM »
All Industry participants in FIM competition signed an agreement to the effect that FIM was the exclusive sanction for World Record affairs.
The FIM acted within their rights as per the business agreement.
Today you can claim all the World Record status you want and unless you have a signed agreement with them, they choose not to bother to challenge it.

SPEED SECRET
In the glory days of my youth, I set the undisputed World Land Speed record for Bowling Balls. I did it under the "Forgiveness is easier to get than permission plan." and it was witnessed by members of the U.S. Department of the Air Force.
They certainly had the credibility and necessary skills to accurately measure the speed.
To this date, 40 years later, I have never heard of a challenge.  LOL
"I would rather lose going fast enough to win than win going slow enough to lose."
"That horrible smell is dirty feet being held to the fire"

Offline RichFox

« Reply #32 on: December 13, 2006, 11:02:30 AM »
ANSW; Be careful. By the time you get the new, legal, "M" engine built, the rules will have been changed back.

Offline 4-barrel Mike

• Any fool can drive a V8
« Reply #33 on: December 13, 2006, 11:19:48 AM »
ANSW; Be careful. By the time you get the new, legal, "M" engine built, the rules will have been changed back.

You are an evil man!   :-D

Mike
Mike Kelly - PROUD owner of the V4F that powered the #1931 VGC to a 82.803 mph record in 2008!

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
« Reply #34 on: December 13, 2006, 11:23:32 AM »

The car guys really enjoy seeing the bikers fall on their sword.
While I don't have the same degree of confidence that Rich has,
if reality happens you should give him a kiss on the cheek.  LOL  :-o
"I would rather lose going fast enough to win than win going slow enough to lose."
"That horrible smell is dirty feet being held to the fire"