Author Topic: Burt Munro's Records  (Read 15928 times)

Offline Marcroux

Burt Munro's Records
« on: November 25, 2006, 05:22:01 AM »
Hi,
 I finished reading a book called "Burt Munro Indian Legend of Speed" by George Begg and I have a question about the records he set. In the book it listed three AMA records, two in the S-A 1000 class, one 168.066 mph set in 1966, the other 183.586 set in 1967 which is still the current record. The third was set in 1962 in the S-A 883 class at 178.971. I know there no longer a 883 class because it is not listed in the rule book, my question is this, did anyone else break Burt's record and why did they get rid of the 883 class? I figure between Jack D, Glen, Tom up in Reading and all the Elders of Speed that write on this forum someone can answer my question.
Marc

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
883 is gone but not forgotten.
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2006, 08:27:03 AM »
The 883 class was dropped as were Class C motors when SCTA assumed
 responsibility for Speedweek MC records in 79.
The 883 was a formula to accommodate a particular brand and the riders
 saw no need for it to continue.
The record stood with AMA as did Class C.
"I would rather lose going fast enough to win than win going slow enough to lose."
"That horrible smell is dirty feet being held to the fire"

Offline 1212FBGS

• http://www.motobody.com
Re: Burt Munro's Records
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2006, 12:16:48 AM »
dont run on that 1000cc s-f record.... it's cursed... i know!!!!
kent
217mph crash learned me real good.....

Offline Freud

Re: Burt Munro's Records: Sacred RECORDS
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2006, 12:33:29 AM »
Pick another class and leave Burt's record alone. That's what Don Vesco said. There are plenty of other classes to contest and some things are sacred. Burt's record is one of those.
Besides, his bike was built to run on the "underside of the globe" and it had characteristics undeveloped in north of the equator machines. I have just released that information and you are in no way prepared to deal with the consequences.
There are reasons for the record to stand and it's not for some "newbee" to cherry pick an immortal.

Besides Scott and crew may just set the minimum at about 285 MPH for the 2 Club in that class. They can have a meeting at anytime and that includes between the time your run is made and when you get to tear down. Everything is agains't you.

FREUD

Since '63

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2006, 12:45:00 AM »
Some hold certain things to be sacred.
The longer you do this and I would hope it is a very long time you will come to appreciate some things more than others.
"I would rather lose going fast enough to win than win going slow enough to lose."

Offline hawkwind

Re: Burt Munro's Records: Sacred RECORDS
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2006, 01:43:21 AM »
Pick another class and leave Burt's record alone. That's what Don Vesco said. There are plenty of other classes to contest and some things are sacred. Burt's record is one of those.
Besides, his bike was built to run on the "underside of the globe" and it had characteristics undeveloped in north of the equator machines. I have just released that information and you are in no way prepared to deal with the consequences.
There are reasons for the record to stand and it's not for some "newbee" to cherry pick an immortal.

Besides Scott and crew may just set the minimum at about 285 MPH for the 2 Club in that class. They can have a meeting at anytime and that includes between the time your run is made and when you get to tear down. Everything is agains't you.

FREUD

I could not have said it any better
Gary

slower than most

Offline Marcroux

« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2006, 04:19:07 AM »
  Good god you guys are protective, all I wanted was some background information about a pretty amazing person racing history. I find out the SCTA didn't want a class that had 850 Nortons and Moto Guzzis in it. I get threatening posts about a record I have no interest and told that the 200 mph club will screw with me. I had enough, I am going back to my shed! Those pistons aren't going cast themselfs. That Caterpillar axle is not going turn into rods by magic.... :-)

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2006, 05:25:19 AM »
You don't have to thank us, we would provide the same help to any of the bikers.
It was wise of you to ask and I'll bet it will save you a lot of heartache later on.

"Without a good knowledge of history, you future is not very bright."

Offline RidgeRunner

« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2006, 08:42:52 AM »
  Good god you guys are protective, all I wanted was some background information about a pretty amazing person racing history. I find out the SCTA didn't want a class that had 850 Nortons and Moto Guzzis in it. I get threatening posts about a record I have no interest and told that the 200 mph club will screw with me. I had enough, I am going back to my shed! Those pistons aren't going cast themselfs. That Caterpillar axle is not going turn into rods by magic.... :-)

Right on!  Don't forget the Lemon tree on the way to the shed.............gotta use all the ingredients in the recipe for speed .......... :wink:

Offline jimmy six

« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2006, 12:27:22 PM »
Marc! You wil need to explain where you don't have a class to run your 850 in? It's between 750 and 1000cc's which it means we have an engine class. I have no idea if it has push rods but if it does, we have a class I have no idea if it was built before 1956 then we have a class.

What more do you want? Just because the Hayabusa's hold a lot of records at 1350cc's and 1650cc's I don't hear all the other guys running other manufacturers complaining (wait! maybe they are?)

The one thing the SCTA/BNI will not do is tell/dictate you what to run or build.

Personally if you want to run on Berts record, have at it. I've never known any record to be sacred. Some just have bad luck attached to them........ Good Luck
First GMC 6 powered Fuel roadster over 200, with 2 red hats. Pit crew for Patrick Tone's Super Stock #49 Camaro

Offline narider

• Self Moderating
    • Twin Jugs Racing
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2006, 03:16:00 PM »
Personally if you want to run on Berts record, have at it. I've never known any record to be sacred.

Jimmy,
Well said... was hoping someone from out there would.

Marc,
If Bert was able to reply here... my guess is he'd give a few hints to help a guy out. And I wouldn't doubt the word malarkey might come out of his mouth concerning alot of this. 

As far as the luck thing goes.... well to each their own on that one, but I'm pretty sure it's a record I'll never consider(maybe it was the crushed dog balls that kept him safe and got him the big speeds at the time?).
Todd

Offline Freud

« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2006, 07:49:57 PM »
If all of the prior comments don't convince riders, just remember this.

You will have one bad time finding that Lady that helped fix his wheel and his pole. She may have been the secret ingredient.

FREUD
Since '63

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
Re:Just to set Burt Munro's Records Straight
« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2006, 08:05:37 PM »
Black Shoe Polish in the cracks of your old tires don't get near the credit they deserve.
The safety records for the bikes speak again, and again, and again.

Offline Nortonist 592

• http://www.artfv.com/design/fashion/
« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2006, 02:27:34 AM »
I wish I had the right words but I don't.  The word sacred may be a bit over the top but its not far away.  I believe that just about any of the current jap engines could pummel Burt's record.  What would you prove?  That a 2006 engine is faster than a 1920a engine?  When it comes to LSR I'm a bottom feeder.  That doesn't matter.  I enjoy myself and to me that is the main thing.  I have my heroes.  Burt is one of them.  Leave his record alone.  There are thousands of other classes. 
Get off the stove Grandad.  You're too old to be riding the range.

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2006, 02:38:55 AM »
The best advice will most often come from those with the most experience.
Even bad experience counts towards the total. :wink: