Author Topic: Race engine parts  (Read 3158 times)

Offline ggl205

• G/FL 218.282 since 1995. G/FL record since 1993.
Race engine parts
« on: July 06, 2019, 09:44:33 AM »
Some may already know about this eBay seller but he has some of the best used NASCAR engine and engine related parts around at VERY affordable prices. His eBay name is hindel15. Example: 1 or 2 race old Pankl or Carrillo con rod set of eight for $85. May be a good source for LSR racers on a tight budget but still want the best.

John

Offline fordboy628

• GONE FISHIN' . . .
Re: Race engine parts
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2019, 08:33:16 AM »

Some may already know about this eBay seller but he has some of the best used NASCAR engine and engine related parts around at VERY affordable prices. His eBay name is hindel15. Example: 1 or 2 race old Pankl or Carrillo con rod set of eight for $85. May be a good source for LSR racers on a tight budget but still want the best.

John

Hi John,

While I agree with you that some used NASCAR "cast off parts" can be a great value, I disagree with the idea that those parts might be the "best".   After having spent a lot of time in NASCAR engine shops, everyone needs to know that typically these rods are manufactured for "maximum lightness", and therefore have a very short "reliable service interval".    Probably something like 1 million cycles, perhaps a bit more.

After inspections and with a set of NEW rod bolts, these types of parts could be used, AS LONG AS THE USER REALIZES THE INHERENT RISK.   I don't presume to make decisions for racers, I'm at the point in my career where I merely remind racers of the math or the science that SHOULD be involved in their decision making process.

I'm adding in something I posted on another site, Vintage Racing Online.   Read on about one racer's experience re-using older Carrillo rods, without cycle life knowledge and without any testing or inspections . . . . . . . .

Once again, down the same rabbit hole . . . . . . part 2 . . . . .

Well, I confess: I'm getting tired of a being a "racing engine coroner". . . "It's like deja vu, all over again." Yogi Berra

No photos of these bits either, a courtesy to the owner. However I know the owner is a "reader", and perhaps may post photos of the "carnage".

This past Monday, a third party brought by the shards of one of the latest BMC 'A' series engine failures. It wasn't a typical failure, as it was a breakage involving "premium quality parts". The failure was a broken, aftermarket "Carrillo style", H beam connecting rod. I think it was in fact, an actual Carrillo (or CP Products now) produced part. Atypically, the rod broke just above what rod manufacturers call the "shoulder" of the rod. This area is just above the "big end", where the beam of the rod narrows heading up to the pin end. This narrowing is required for the rod's big end to clear the bottom of the cylinder walls as the crankshaft rotates. Needless to say, when the rod separated into 2 pieces at high rpm, BAD THINGS happened as a result! The remains were in at least 4 large pieces, and many smaller shards.

The question became: "It's a Carrillo rod, how could this happen? ? ? ?"

Well, let's do a bit of thinking about this question, and this failure . . . . . .

It seems that there is a presumption that, somehow, premium quality aftermarket parts are "indestructible". This is, of course, untrue. But after racers pay out their "big bucks", however, most racers would like to think: That item is "forever".

You are not buying a "diamond"! ! ! (And despite what De Beers claims, even diamonds are not forever . . . .)

OK, OK, I'll get back to reality then . . . . .

A/ H beam connecting rods are usually used because they can be made LIGHTER than I beam connecting rods.
It's a fact that the rod set in question was made for maximum lightness, ie: minimum weight. Premium quality material and premium quality 5/16" rod bolts were used. The ONLY reason to do that is a quest for minimum weight. There can be "advantages" to minimum weight. There are also "disadvantages" . . . .

2/ Note that lighter components are usually LESS durable than heavier parts.
These Carrillo rods are sub 490 gram total weight each. Compare that to the ultra-heavy stock BMC rods weighing 680 grams each, using 3/8" rod bolts. I'm not going to cover this topic again. Go back and re-read reply #21 to this thread. It concerns materials science and reliability.

d/ And there are "other" factors.
I have seen this type of failure previously, on several occasions, for several reasons:
1/ The previously mentioned durability cycle/lifespan reasons.
2/ Unknown inclusions (defects) in the beam of the con rod. Quality manufacturers x-ray every rough blank con rod, and reject those with this type of defect. Lesser manufacturers may not do the same. And there can be "mistakes", despite the best intentions.
3/ Mechanical interference: H beam rods are wider than their I beam counterparts. I have seen engines where inadequate clearance existed between the "shoulder" of an H beam connecting rod and the bottom of the cylinder. Even slight contact between the shoulder of an H beam con rod and a cylinder with inadequate clearance, results in disaster.

So what's the answer?

Well, if you are racing for money or prestige, the lightest weight (mass) components can give you an advantage. This is merely the math, and professional racers accept the risk and the cost of periodically replacing components. This is why ebay has countless "slightly used, but cast off" components for sale. Professional teams use these components for a set number of miles or hours, then discard them. The idea is to prevent a component failure while perhaps leading a race. Statistical analysis proves this to be a sound methodology for success, in spite of increased cost.

But what if I'm racing for "fun"?

If that is the case, then your decision criteria are probably different. The final decision about component weight and the resulting reliability gets to be made by those whose "checkbook does the talking". The decision is: "unlimited" component life Vs. the perceived advantage of light components.

Caveat emptor!

:cheers:   :dhorse:
Science, NOT Magic . . . .

I used to be a people person.  But people changed that relationship.

"There is nothing permanent except change."    Heraclitus

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."     Albert Einstein

Offline desotoman

« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2019, 01:19:26 PM »
Fordboy,

Excellent reply. Buyer Beware on Ebay.

I was on one site and someone replied about an Ebay vendor buying all of the stuff no one else would touch at Nascar Auctions, then unloading it on Ebay.

Tom G.
I love the USA. How much longer will we be a free nation?

Asking questions is one's only way of getting answers.

The rational person lets verified facts form or modify his opinion.  The ideologue ignores verified facts which don't fit his preconceived opinions.

Offline ggl205

« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2019, 09:44:35 PM »
All true comments above. I can not argue with a single syllable. When using engine parts from former race engines, it would be silly not to have them tested for cracks or failure points (bolts, stretched rods from an over rev, etcetera). NASCAR teams I had contact with replaced components at regular intervals leaving a goodly amount of reliability cushion left in them. They did not try and eek out every possible bit of service life. Very similar to aircraft engine overhaul intervals. So, with a little checking, there may be enough reliability left in these components for our purposes. I mean, we do not put that much time on our engines the way other race venues do.

BTW, should I post a picture of a brand new Carrillo rod that broke on the dyno? Not a pretty sight.

John
« Last Edit: July 07, 2019, 09:47:04 PM by ggl205 »

Offline fordboy628

• GONE FISHIN' . . .
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2019, 11:14:08 PM »

All true comments above. I can not argue with a single syllable. When using engine parts from former race engines, it would be silly not to have them tested for cracks or failure points (bolts, stretched rods from an over rev, etcetera). NASCAR teams I had contact with replaced components at regular intervals leaving a goodly amount of reliability cushion left in them. They did not try and eek out every possible bit of service life. Very similar to aircraft engine overhaul intervals. So, with a little checking, there may be enough reliability left in these components for our purposes. I mean, we do not put that much time on our engines the way other race venues do.

BTW, should I post a picture of a brand new Carrillo rod that broke on the dyno? Not a pretty sight.

John

Hi John,

Absolutely!!     That's not a common occurrence though.    Possible clearance or installation problem?     "Shoulder" clearance at the bottom of the bore is always an issue when changing over to H beam rods.

Having used Carrillo Products for decades, some notes are in order:

C/P rods are available in several "permutations".    It is worth speaking to one of their engineers/designers PRIOR to placing your order.  Their max light designs are just that, MAXIMUM LIGHTENING, and as such, are much less "durable".

From time to time, I have had to have a "discussion" with an "engineer", to get what I needed, as opposed to what he thought I wanted/needed.    Sometimes you have to pull rank, to get what you need . . . . . .

BTW, the aforementioned situation has occurred with many suppliers.    IMHO, sightly heavier and "durable" tops "superlight" and iffy.    Again, the cutting edge can provide an advantage when racing for money or prestige, but only if you are willing to accept the risk.

:cheers:

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."     Albert Einstein

Offline wheelrdealer

• D/CBGALT
    • WHEELRDEALER RACING
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2019, 08:25:45 AM »
Not related to the great explanation from Fordboy but does relate to "Caveat Emptor".

I have fallen victim to the the "good" deal on eBay. I bought a MSD 6A, new at what looked to be about $100 off  MSRP. Put it in the trailer for a spare. A year or so  later I read an article in Hot Rod about counterfeit products. Took a look at my eBay bargain MSD and it had the same serial number as the one on the Hot Rod article! Counterfeit   :x.   Second, there was once a LSR guy, who has since passed away, that I had some dealings with. He bragged about  "his guy in China" was counterfeiting items to sell in eBay and one of those  items he said was Carrillo Rods! He said it took his guy a couple of tries to get the logo etching just right. I chastised him for his greed and lack of concern for his fellow racers while I never spoke to him again. I never saw the rods so it could have all been his BS.

BR

ECTA    Maxton D/CGALT  Record Holder 167.522
ECTA    Maxton D/CBGALT Record Holder 166.715

WWW.WHEELRDEALER2100.COM

Offline sabat

« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2019, 01:31:46 PM »
I just scrolled through a few pages of the 1000+ auction listings from hindel15 on eBay, and there's a bunch of bargains on AN lines, fittings, (many new in package) and other stuff that I would consider non-wear items. Worth checking if you are "frugal" like me :)

Offline fordboy628

• GONE FISHIN' . . .
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2019, 08:13:24 PM »

I just scrolled through a few pages of the 1000+ auction listings from hindel15 on eBay, and there's a bunch of bargains on AN lines, fittings, (many new in package) and other stuff that I would consider non-wear items. Worth checking if you are "frugal" like me :)

Hi Sabat,

I agree that "frugality" can be a virtue, and save racers some dough.    AN fittings and lines . . . probably OK, as long as they are not "knock offs".

But it's a far cry from AN bits to con-rods . . . . . .  kinda like apples and oranges . . . . .     and that's my only point.

You want your main engine components to perform, not give up the ghost.     Low cycle life parts, that pass inspection and with new bolts?   No problem for me.

:cheers:

Offline ggl205

« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2019, 10:24:59 AM »
You guys are making me wish I had not used con rods as an example (lol).

?You want your main engine components to perform, not give up the ghost.     Low cycle life parts, that pass inspection and with new bolts?   No problem for me.?

This was what I was trying to convey.

John

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2019, 12:04:17 AM »
John, No good deed ever goes unpunished....  :cheers:
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline mc2032

• Reliability and performance are highly overrated.
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2019, 09:09:29 AM »
John, cheap parts fail too so don't feel bad.  And they fail spectacularly.
#1032 1350 A, APS-PBG & F, #1000 I/BFL.  My number is 241.273.

Offline Speed Limit 1000

« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2019, 08:31:54 PM »
Any video :cheers:
John Gowetski, red hat @ 221.183 MPH MSA Lakester, Bockscar #1000 60 ci normally aspirated w/N20

Offline racergeo

« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2019, 08:52:40 PM »
    I have a history with used NASCAR parts. In the 90's I went to an auction on Thanksgiving weekend in the Hoosier Dome. Came home with 5 pallets in a trailer we bought.I built a lot of budget engines based on those parts. The Carrillo's were the old heavy clubs. Pistons were new that had obsoleted them self by being heavy. Heads were18 deg. and Pontiac (chevy). Had some Yates Ford and even Buick V6 Bucsh stuff. Later I saw all the SB2 heads and Jessel rockers Etc. come up and it was the foundation of my record setting C lakester engine. I owe my red hat to those cheap E bay parts. My guy at Corrillo says the only 5/16 bolt stuff was for the old qualifying engines from almost 20 years ago. Parts made for 2 laps probably aren't a good fit for Bonneville. When something is selling for $85 that cost $2300 you should read the fine print. Sorry I didn't use huge red letters. :-D   

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2019, 10:43:07 PM »
One good thing about buying used NASCAR parts from a reputable seller is that they are not Chinese knock-offs.

Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ
Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ