Author Topic: WING TIP VORTICE  (Read 3704 times)

Offline ONEBADBUG

• Gearheadscookbook
WING TIP VORTICE
« on: March 29, 2019, 05:17:07 PM »
So, I know quite a bit about aero, but watching F1 last week, I realized there's something I don't get. You could see the vortice, but my question is; is the air coming off the wing into the ambient air, or is the ambient air being sucked into the high velocity air at the wing? Or, neither, just rotating the adjacent air like a tornado?

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
Re: WING TIP VORTICE
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2019, 06:47:44 PM »
most likely both would be my SWAG  :-D
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline Interested Observer

« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2019, 07:31:55 PM »
The ambient air through which the wing is passing is induced into a vortex at the wing tip.  Due to the rapid rotation of the air in the vortex, the local pressure in the core is reduced from ambient.  Depending on the temperature and humidity of the air, the drop in pressure and temperature in the vortex can be sufficient to cause condensation, creating a small visible “cloud”.

Offline ONEBADBUG

• Gearheadscookbook
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2019, 10:09:29 PM »
Yes, I know why you can see it. I still wonder if the net effect is air being pulled in towards the wing, or away. I think the ambient air is just rotated without any other changes, but I don't know.

In other news, my new rear wing makes something like 600 pounds of downforce at only 50, 60 mph.

Offline donpearsall

• http://soundappraisal.com
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2019, 12:16:49 AM »
Why would you want the drag that comes from 600 pounds of downforce? Instead of drag, why not add weight? Is it due to the need to accelerate quickly? That's not an issue in landracing of course.

Don
550 hp 2003 Suzuki Hayabusa Land Speed Racer

Offline tortoise

« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2019, 01:05:13 PM »
Instead of drag, why not add weight? Is it due to the need to accelerate quickly?
Yes. Both positive and negative acceleration, not to mention lateral acceleration.

Offline ggl205

• G/FL 218.282 since 1995. G/FL record since 1993.
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2019, 05:36:53 PM »
ONEBADBUG's car looks like an A Mod Solo car. These are bad a** parking lot racers that are very quick and nimble. Adding weight would destroy corner handling so they rely on aero downforce.

John

Offline ggl205

• G/FL 218.282 since 1995. G/FL record since 1993.
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2019, 05:48:53 PM »
I stopped by the exploration center here in Wichita and Boeing had a wing section there explaining why those raised wing tips exist. Boeing says these vertical wing structures capture vortices running off a conventional wing tip and thereby uses this otherwise lost energy to assist with lift. I looked closely at these structures and they are not just simple upturned end plates.

John

Offline ONEBADBUG

• Gearheadscookbook
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2019, 09:45:04 PM »
Why would you want the drag that comes from 600 pounds of downforce? Instead of drag, why not add weight? Is it due to the need to accelerate quickly? That's not an issue in landracing of course.

Don

Yes, it's an autocross car. I have been to Bonneville twice in other cars. This car is all about downforce with no concern for drag. When you can run the whole course and never lift, you have enough! That's impossible though, because the rules limit me to "20 square feet of wing as viewed from above."

It is incredible to drive something that can go through a corner at 70 mph, that it can't do at 40 mph.

Offline ONEBADBUG

• Gearheadscookbook
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2019, 09:46:23 PM »
I stopped by the exploration center here in Wichita and Boeing had a wing section there explaining why those raised wing tips exist. Boeing says these vertical wing structures capture vortices running off a conventional wing tip and thereby uses this otherwise lost energy to assist with lift. I looked closely at these structures and they are not just simple upturned end plates.

John
Can you explain that anymore? That's what I want to know.

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2019, 11:45:58 PM »
The wingtip of on airplane generates a vortex that looks like a horizontal tornado... This causes drag and eats power... the winglets are intended to improve wing efficiency by reducing drag. There are several versions... but all are there to reduce an aircraft's drag by partial recovery of the tip vortex energy. 
The simple explanation is they fool the air into believing that isn't where the wing ends.
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O