Author Topic: Australian Jaguar Build  (Read 53803 times)

Offline dw230

Re: Australian Jaguar Build
« Reply #60 on: January 22, 2011, 09:32:01 PM »
Damn, all that work and you guys put the steering wheel on the wrong side of the cockpit.

Other than that looks great!

DW

White Goose Bar - Where LSR is a lifestyle
Alcohol - because no good story starts with a salad.

Don't be Karen, be Beth

Offline Geo

« Reply #61 on: January 22, 2011, 09:47:15 PM »
Wow!  Looks great!  I was wondering what was happening.  Thanks for the update.  :cheers:

And... when you are making those specialty Jaguar racing parts...  make a second for your fellow XJS racer in the States.  :wink:

Geo

Offline 38flattie

• http://www.flatcadracing.org/
« Reply #62 on: January 22, 2011, 10:04:08 PM »
Looks great! I really like this build, and it's coming along nicely. :cheers:

I've got a buddy in Brisbane, Wayne Woonton, that plays with Flatcads and Jags.

With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. However, this is not necessarily a good idea. It is hard to be sure where they are going to land, and it could be dangerous sitting under them as they fly overhead. -- RFC 1925

You can't make a race horse out of a pig. But if you work hard enough at it you can make a mighty fast pig. - Bob Akin

http://www.flatcadracing.org/
http://youtu.be/89rVb497_4c

Offline Lynchy

« Reply #63 on: January 23, 2011, 05:58:34 AM »
Dan - Thanks, funnily enough the XJS is set up for the wheel to go either side. All the holes and mounts are already there. But - it would mean looking for a different steering rack..... A very belated Thankyou to you as well for your time at Speed Week. We'll see you again. We will come back.

Geo - the steering wheel boss took 2 days to make. Gaz's dad did the work. He was a fitter and turner back about 50 years ago and does things the right way. If you worked out an hourly rate for the work, you wouldn't buy it. Have you got the stock spin lock adjustable column in yours?

Flattie - The car is in Sydney, and unfortunately I live in Brisbane which makes it difficult to get over to work on the car. I just handle Gaz's publicity since I'm an IT guy and he's an accountant.

I'll post some more stuff sooner next time.

Lynchy

Offline grumm441

• HK 327
« Reply #64 on: January 23, 2011, 06:16:52 AM »
Dodge, all that work and you guys put the steering wheel on the wrong side of the cockpit.

Other than that looks great!

DW

Sorry Dan
The wheel is on the right side
G
Chief Motorcycle Steward Dry Lakes Racers Australia Inc
Spirit of Sunshine Bellytank Lakester
https://www.dlra.org.au/rulebook.htm

Offline Rex Schimmer

• Only time and money prevent completion!
« Reply #65 on: January 23, 2011, 02:26:32 PM »
Lynchy,
I love your head restraints!!! Great idea and execution.

Tee Shirt: I still have it in the bag and of course I lost your address (I blame that on being an old guy!) so send me your address and I will post it to you. My E mail address is rexschimmer@gmail.com.

Better yet come over for Speed Week 2011 and I'll give it to you!! Great meeting you guys! and hope to see you again.

Rex
Rex

Not much matters and the rest doesn't matter at all.

Offline Lynchy

« Reply #66 on: January 23, 2011, 07:08:42 PM »
Rex

It's all Gary's work on the car. He might be slow but at least he takes a long time! He was thinking of making the right hand one swing out but slapped himself and just got it done. Don't worry about the shirt. We're happy it's got a good home. We will definately be back but maybe 2012???? I start a new job soon so holidays will be an issue and I've really got to give priority to our event first.

Lynchy

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #67 on: January 23, 2011, 09:56:45 PM »
Re:

"Gary also decided that as the car is a Jag then he should add in a wooden steering wheel..."

A wooden steering wheel in a race car is a very bad idea; in a crash the wood will splinter and become a potentially lethal fragments.

Regards,
Neil
Tucson, Arizona
Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ

Offline Lynchy

« Reply #68 on: May 16, 2012, 05:09:23 PM »
It's been a while since posting here but the Jag is nearly complete. The DLRA is attempting to have an even in a few weeks time due to being washed out in March. This gave Gary a few more months to finish the car to the standard that he had hoped for. Here are a few recent pictures but more work has happened since these.

Enjoy! If you want to see more go to the DLRA forum under Build Diaries.

Lynchy

Offline Peter Jack

« Reply #69 on: May 16, 2012, 08:37:07 PM »
That is a nice looking piece.  :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

Pete

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
« Reply #70 on: May 16, 2012, 09:57:04 PM »
Have you ever looked out over a parking lot and wondered, "Where'd I park my car?"

I didn't think so.

Kosmic Killer Kat Kolor.   :cheers:
"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline Lynchy

« Reply #71 on: March 04, 2013, 01:51:42 AM »
As promised some recent photos.....

The Shaguar finally got her chance to run at the 2013 DLRA Speed Week event held recently. The cat performed well with licencing runs of 125mph and 150mph. Then over to the long course for the 175mph run and chute pull. All OK so far....

Gaz and the Jag were cleared to go for 200 next and this is where the problem occured. This is the final shot after the spin at 195mph when the bonnet popped open and upset the aero. It looks like the bonnet lifted due to pressure building inderneath and upset the aero causing the rear to let go. When the car went around the bonnet flopped right open and then slammed back when the car came back around. Damage is superficial and will be sorted out for next year with several bonnet pins.

Lynchy

Offline bvillercr

« Reply #72 on: March 04, 2013, 10:03:55 AM »
Sorry to see the damage, how did the car feel while under power?  Was the car stable, how was the traction?

Offline tauruck

« Reply #73 on: March 04, 2013, 10:34:49 AM »
What a shame. It looks great (before). It's a pity to have to wait that long. Thanks for the great pics.

Offline fordboy628

• GONE FISHIN' . . .
« Reply #74 on: March 04, 2013, 11:32:52 AM »
Ouch!!   I hate when that happens!

Car has got potential though.   Best of luck next year!
 :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
Fordboy
Science, NOT Magic . . . .

I used to be a people person.  But people changed that relationship.

"There is nothing permanent except change."    Heraclitus

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."     Albert Einstein