Author Topic: Hooley's spin video....  (Read 6368 times)

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
Hooley's spin video....
« on: November 15, 2006, 10:53:48 PM »
John, WZJUNK, got the video of Hooley's spin on our 2nd run last year posted on YouTube:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=CU59SUocJoA

This was taken with one of the cheap helmet cameras that Jim Rivers brought with him.  He mounted it under the rear spoiler for this run on the driver's side.

Hope you guys enjoyed it.  After the run Hooley said "glad we got that out of the way" :D .  The car never did do a 360 and the roof flap did deploy, but we have no idea if it helped or not.  There are pictures of the roof flap on my site under the Hooley 2006 link and there are other video links under my links page.

Thanks John and c ya,

Sum

Offline Leon

• http://www.ridgenet.net/~biesiade/
Hooley's spin video....
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2006, 11:42:43 PM »
Cool video.  The car looked like if stayed on the ground nice through the spin.

Offline Rick Roberts

Hooley's spin video....
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2006, 11:47:47 PM »
Looks like one heck of a ride
ECTA 200 Club

Offline GH

hooleys spin
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2006, 09:34:37 AM »
Wow, what a ride, I hope I never have to do that. Check out the in-carVideo  on my first run at speed week 06 with 1/4" toe-out on the front axle, the car never got real loose because of the weight distribution 51% on the front end. The video is at this site...geocities.com/garyhartracing....... ..Cya

Offline jimmy six

Hooley's spin video....
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2006, 09:56:02 AM »
What was his 1/4 speed and 3 mile?
First GMC 6 powered Fuel roadster over 200, with 2 red hats. Pit crew for Patrick Tone's Super Stock #49 Camaro

Offline Cword

• http://www.ucalgary.ca/~mdsiewer
Hooley's spin video....
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2006, 10:56:39 AM »
Quote from: jimmy six
What was his 1/4 speed and 3 mile?

Quarter, 210.788
mile, 179.192
Mike Siewert
North of 49 Crew
 1149 B/STR

Offline Dave Cox

• http://www.olddeadcars.com
Hooley's spin video....
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2006, 11:47:25 AM »
...brings back sweet memories..... love bonneville........

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
hooleys spin
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2006, 11:52:59 AM »
Yep, it  was right in front of the timing trailer, cool spin and the video was great.  :shock:
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline WZ JUNK

Hooley's spin video....
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2006, 01:58:10 PM »
Hooley never said much about the handling before the spin.  I did not realize that he was really driving and pedaling the car to keep it straight.  Throughout the spin run you can listen to him getting in and out of the throttle and if you watch closely you can tell when the rear end gets loose several times before the spin.  When he does spin the car just takes off and there is no stopping it.  It seems to me that it made a couple of turns back and forth, goes more or less straight a little, and then goes really fast side to side.  I wonder why that the last part of the spin was so quick?  When you look at the other pictures we have showing the car it seems to dig in and lift near the end of the spin, but I can see that in this video from the car.  We think the jump that it took was when it ran over the parachute cord.

John
Crew chief #974 B/BGCC 1953 Studebaker Past Bonneville record holder.

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
Hooley's spin video....
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2006, 02:57:07 PM »
Just to add to John's reply a little.  The first run was a pretty easy pass at about 23%-30% throttle to check out the air/fuel and everything else.  I think the speed was about 200 and I believe we just ran to the 3 mile.  I'm at my mom's and have the copy of the slips at home.

We didn't run any WOT on the first run, so we didn't know where we were at on air/fuel and EGT WOT, so we wanted Hooley to run more WOT on the second run.  I had calibrated the TPS for 0 to 100% with the throttle sitting still.  Yet on the run in the last part of 2nd, and then 3rd and into 4th Hooley was running 107% throttle, so he was really mashing the gas.  He was over 100% TPS when the car got away from him.  At this point we were at the 2005 weight plus about 250 lbs..  After the spin we added another 600 lbs and never had a problem the rest of the week.

He ended with an exit speed of 241 on the record run.  I think we are right on the verge of needing to add more weight again.  The plan now is to start next year with 400-600 lbs more than we had this year.  It sould help our 2 1/4 speed by allowing the car to accellerate faster without spinning the tires in the lower gears.

I notice the other day that we were about 7 miles an hour faster on the record run than the qualifing run at the 2 1/4 and carried almost that whole 7 miles an hour faster all the way to the exit at the end of the 5 mile, so we need to be going faster at the 2 1/4 than we are now if we hope to go faster.

c ya,

Sum

Offline Dynoroom

• Global Moderator
What a concept
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2006, 03:28:36 PM »
A heavier car is faster??!! WOW, cool!!   :wink:
Michael LeFevers
Kugel and LeFevers Pontiac Firebird

Without Data You're Just Another Guy With An Opinion!

Racing is just a series of "Problem Solving" events that allow you to spend money & make noise...

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
Spinner Hooley
« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2006, 04:24:18 PM »
Nancy happened to be in the office when I played the video -- and she says she thought she heard him utter a mild oath at first -- followed by laughter as things settled down a bit.  Was there an in-car microphone, or was it just her giggling as she watch that fine panoramic video of the Wendover scenery?
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
Re: Spinner Hooley
« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2006, 06:24:23 PM »
Quote from: Seldom Seen Slim
......she thought she heard him utter a mild oath at first -- followed by laughter..........

I don't think Hooley knows any "oaths"  8) , but he does know how to laugh  :D .

That camera was outside the car and I think if John wouldn't of ended it there you would have heard him talking to one of the course safety workers a little later after the car came to a stop.  You can't hear him on that camera when the car is going down the course.  We had in-car cameras also, but I just got those tapes from John the other day.  I'll combine the in-car and the shots from my truck (you can see us doing that shot in the video) and all the other shots onto one vcr tape and we might put it up for sale like in the past (for not much -- mainly a donation to the car and to this site if you mention it).

I finally put all of our various tapes from 2005 onto one video the other day, but the course was so bad that our in-car cameras went blurry and to black and white from the vibration, so last year's is not great.  If anyone is interested it in you could have it for $9.95 (includes shipping) and mention this site and we will get $2.50 to Jon for this site (Jon if this isn't ok edit this post and remove this).

Hey Mike adding weight will always make the car faster if it is in the form of a larger motor :shock: .  I had some questions I was going to ask you on the chat, but now I forgot them :cry: .

c ya,

Sum

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
Hooley's spin video....
« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2006, 10:50:56 PM »
Great video!
It looks like he got the chute out in time, but then it did a little more swapping after it should have been back going straight.  Is the chute large enough for the weight of the car?
You should show the video to your chute maker (Stroud?) to get his impression.
Just a thought....
Great video!
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
Hooley's spin video....
« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2006, 11:07:01 PM »
Quote from: Stainless1
Great video!
It looks like he got the chute out in time, but then it did a little more swapping after it should have been back going straight.  Is the chute large enough for the weight of the car?
You should show the video to your chute maker (Stroud?) to get his impression.
Just a thought....
Great video!

Thanks Stainless, good questions.  Yes it did come from Stroud and Hooley had talked about getting another chute, but I'm not sure why.  Maybe I might be able to stop at Stroud's monday when I leave Missouri if I get there in time (I won't leave here until noon).

The car did swap sides about 3 times after the chute went out, so you are on to something there.

c ya,

Sum