Author Topic: Intercooler question  (Read 17328 times)

Offline firemanjim

Intercooler question
« on: November 15, 2006, 02:14:52 AM »
Can you turbo bike guys give me pros/con of air-to-air vs water-air intercooler. Am putting together new bike for next year.
Bonneville 2001,2002,2003,2004,and NO stinking 2005,DLRA 2006, next?
Well,sure can't complain about 2008--6 records over 200 and 5 hats from Bonneville,Bubs, and El Mirage for the team!

Offline hawkwind

Intercooler question
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2006, 03:51:10 AM »
For LSR Jim? IMHO air/air best allround general purpose , air/water where space is at a premium and a one shot icewater/air for LSR
Gary
slower than most

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
Intercooler question
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2006, 06:17:33 PM »
Like Gary said for the salt and an all out effort the air to water (ice water) is by far going to be the best deal as you can actually, with a well designed system, get the air charge after the turbo below ambient air temp.. With the air/air you can just lower it.

For the street you can't use ice water, so you are stuck with air/air or air/water where the water circulates through a radiatior to cool it as much as possible.

c ya,

Sum

Offline ddahlgren

• Global Moderator
Intercooler question
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2006, 10:05:45 AM »
why would you even consider the drag from air/air??
No holes might be the golden rule..
Dave

Offline Dean Los Angeles

Intercooler question
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2006, 02:40:16 PM »
All engines are air limited. The turbo allows us to jam more air in for a bigger bang, but the pressurization creates heat, expanding the air. An intercooler will drop the temperature back down creating a denser charge.

Air to air is limited by the ambient temperature. Water intercoolers can remove more heat.

But what you REALLY want is dry ice and methanol. -70C/-108.4F. For the short time of the run this is the best bet. If you don't like the flamability of the methanol, 70% Glycerine in Water will give you -39C/-38.2F, Calcium Chloride will give you -42C/-43.6F.
Well, it used to be Los Angeles . . . 50 miles north of Fresno now.
Just remember . . . It isn't life or death.
It's bigger than life or death! It's RACING.

Offline Dakin Engineering

Intercooler question
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2006, 06:57:05 PM »
How about running the NO(S) thru there before dumping it in the intake runner?

Sam
Turbo Sportsters since '97

Offline firemanjim

Intercooler question
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2006, 12:48:46 PM »
Thanks for the replies,guys.
Sam,no NOS next year,just big turbo,big motor.
Bonneville 2001,2002,2003,2004,and NO stinking 2005,DLRA 2006, next?
Well,sure can't complain about 2008--6 records over 200 and 5 hats from Bonneville,Bubs, and El Mirage for the team!

Offline panic

• My tech papers
Intercooler question
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2006, 08:24:32 PM »
Sacrificial freon.

Offline Dean Los Angeles

Intercooler question
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2006, 08:40:57 PM »
Sacrificial freon.

Freon 113? Freon 14? 13? 12? Oh, how about Freon 11, that's a good one.

Chlorofluorocarbons (CFCs) are compounds containing carbon, chlorine and fluorine.
Chlorofluorocarbons (CFCs) are sold under the trade name of Freons.
Used as working fluids in refrigerators and air conditioners because they are gases at room temperature wich can be easily liquified by compression and because they are stable and non-toxic

Hey! Good so far!

CFCs destroy the ozone in the stratosphere (15 - 20 km above the earth's surface)
Ozone loss is greatest over Antarctica where the ozone depletion has been recorded and is commonly referred to as the "ozone hole".
Ozone (O3), an allotrope of oxygen, is poisonous to humans if breathed in, but is important to life in that it filters out or absorbs short wavelength ultraviolet radiation (u.v) in the 280 - 320nm range which can cause serious sunburn, skin cancer and eye disorders.
The inertness and lack of water solubilty of CFCs mean they are not destroyed nor are they dissolved in rain water so they stay in the atmosphere for a very long time and diffuse up to the stratosphere

And . . .
International treaties, and U.S. law, prohibit any release of freon into the atmosphere.

Other than that, good idea!

Offline maj

Intercooler question
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2006, 04:10:37 AM »
Quote from: Dean Los Angeles

But what you REALLY want is dry ice and methanol. -70C/-108.4F. For the short time of the run this is the best bet. If you don't like the flamability of the methanol, 70% Glycerine in Water will give you -39C/-38.2F, Calcium Chloride will give you -42C/-43.6F.

Would this operate for long before iceing up something ??

Offline Dean Los Angeles

Intercooler question
« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2006, 02:37:21 PM »

As with all answers, it depends. Iceing is a function of relative humidity and dew point, or in this case frost point. On a cool day with high humididty it could be a problem. The runs, except for Bonneville are incredibly short. Even at Bonneville 5 minutes is about the window you are looking at.

So, plan accordingly. If iceing occurs, it can cut down on the air flow. The same way you have to calculate fuel flow depending on air conditions, you have to dial in the amount of dry ice you can tolerate.

Nobody said going fast was easy!

Super Kaz

Intercooler question
« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2006, 03:40:31 PM »
Quote from: Dean Los Angeles

As with all answers, it depends. Iceing is a function of relative humidity and dew point, or in this case frost point. On a cool day with high humididty it could be a problem. The runs, except for Bonneville are incredibly short. Even at Bonneville 5 minutes is about the window you are looking at.

So, plan accordingly. If iceing occurs, it can cut down on the air flow. The same way you have to calculate fuel flow depending on air conditions, you have to dial in the amount of dry ice you can tolerate.

Nobody said going fast was easy!

Or INEXPENSIVE :shock: !

Offline RacerX

• New folks
Re: Intercooler question
« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2006, 07:42:34 PM »
All right,   All right    I gotta know !   Have you ever iced it up?????   Jim
I like to cut my butter with a chainsaw, why do you ask?

Offline generatorshovel

• http://www.dlra.org.au/forum/viewtopic.php?t=556
« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2006, 09:46:48 PM »
After poking my thoughts "outside the square" for a while , the possibility of cooling the incoming fuel / air mixture in the intercooler using escaping compressed CO2 to remove heat apperared in my brain,
waddyarecon ?????
Tiny  :?
Tiny (in OZ)
I would prefer to make horsepower, rather than buy, or hya it, regardless of the difficulties involved , as it would then be MINE

Offline Loose Goose-Terry#1

• Terry
  • When in doubt, GAS IT!
« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2006, 01:26:10 AM »
http:// :lol: Ever make home made ice cream? Layor of ice, layor of salt (to which you should have in abundance of), layor of ice and so on. It gets pretty darn cold and can freeze ice cream so hard you can't scoop it (had to cut it with a chain saw once, it turnd into an ice sculpture)  8-)
If I had it all to do over again...I would!