Author Topic: No Place to Race  (Read 2638 times)

Offline Freud

No Place to Race
« on: November 14, 2006, 10:27:12 PM »
In case you having a burning desire to race in an area with few spectators, maybe you should give this Salt Flats area a try. I think this is the location that has been discussed recently.

This was the Google for
ARIZARO SALT FLATS in NW Argentina.

http://www.iate.oac.uncor.edu/tolar/ss/site.html

With my oxygen mask in the dishwasher preparing for the trip, I'm waiting for my VISA and Passport to get current. The VISA is maxed and the Passport will need it's 50,000 mile check next week.

FREUD
Since '63

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
BUSINESS IS BUSINESS
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2006, 12:04:35 PM »
I sold Freud the exclusive rights to the Valet Parking Concession
and I know he is ancious to get started developing the business. :wink:
"I would rather lose going fast enough to win than win going slow enough to lose."
"That horrible smell is dirty feet being held to the fire"

Super Kaz

No Place to Race
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2006, 06:36:49 PM »
speaking of that :oops:  :?: How Much Longer will we be able to race at Bonneville as I have Heard all sorts of Stories :oops: :?  Is the Salt really disappearing? I'm pretty New to the LSR World doing my 1st race @ Bonneville in 2004 8) ! What about El Mirage? Will we be able to still race at these places 20 Years from Now??????? :(

Offline Dynoroom

• Global Moderator
No Place to Race
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2006, 06:46:03 PM »
Quote from: Super Kaz
speaking of that :oops:  :?: How Much Longer will we be able to race at Bonneville as I have Heard all sorts of Stories :oops: :?  Is the Salt really disappearing? I'm pretty New to the LSR World doing my 1st race @ Bonneville in 2004 8) ! What about El Mirage? Will we be able to still race at these places 20 Years from Now??????? :(

Let's hope so Kaz.

Whats the big rig tow for?
Michael LeFevers
Kugel and LeFevers Pontiac Firebird

Without Data You're Just Another Guy With An Opinion!

Racing is just a series of "Problem Solving" events that allow you to spend money & make noise...

Super Kaz

No Place to Race
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2006, 08:07:07 PM »
Quote from: dynoroom
Quote from: Super Kaz

Let's hope so Kaz.

Whats the big rig tow for?

1st Night out on the Salt with my BRAND NEW Renegade Totter Home .My wife wanted to spend the Night and Make Love under the Star's :roll: ! Well  of course IT RAIN'S,and I got STUCK in the Mud :oops: !
Those sign's that say" Don't Camp Off Road" because you'll get stuck in the Mud aren't Lying :evil: Man that Place is Humbling :wink:

Offline Dean Los Angeles

No Place to Race
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2006, 01:23:28 AM »
How much longer will we be able to race at Bonneville? El Mirage? Boy, don't we wish we had a crystal ball to read the future!

Go to the SCTA web site and read about Save The Salt:
http://scta-bni.org/news/Save%20The%20Salt/sts031005_history.htm
Read it? Ok, now please send your donations to:
Save The Salt
39937-90th Street West
Leona Valley CA, 93551

The salt was spectacular until the chemical companies started mining the minerals from the salt. Mining is a term used when something is removed and not replaced, it doesn't have to be a hole in the ground. If you have been to Bonneville you would have seen the drainage canal.
Labeled here as "The Dike"

The canals are used to drain off brine and metals are removed from the brine, with the related loss of salt. Your Bonneville fees helped to fund Save The Salt to pump brine back on to the race course. Your SCTA/BNI volunteers made it happen.
What will happen in the future? Only time and good stewardship will tell.
El Mirage, like Bonneville,  is BLM property.  When I first went there in the late 60's, on a moonless night it was totally black with no lights in sight. Now there are houses in the vicinity and the adjacent Victorville area is a boom town. How soon before the neighbors start complaining of the noise and dust? There used to be a few off roaders that wiould show up on the weekend, now there are several hundred every weekend. I think the SCTA has done an excellent job, but not everything is in their power.
Well, it used to be Los Angeles . . . 50 miles north of Fresno now.
Just remember . . . It isn't life or death.
It's bigger than life or death! It's RACING.