Author Topic: Do I need midrange power.  (Read 2070 times)

Offline panchop

Do I need midrange power.
« on: November 13, 2006, 03:09:08 PM »
I have never tried building a LSR bike engine. If i am building a 1000cc NA gas motor, do I need a strong mid range like a hot rod street motor or more of a high RPM drag strip type motor that will hold together for an extended run?
Thanks
Greg

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
Mid-range question
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2006, 03:20:22 PM »
Mid-range?  I don't think so. . .  At least, not if you're building for Bonneville.  You've got two miles before you get to the first of the lights, and that ought to be plenty to get you into the top end of the motor's capabilities.  A good strong motor will often/usually be short-shifted on the Salt, because once a whole bunch of power comes on you get wheelspin -- so you might as well go to the next gear and try again.  I don't pin the throttle until (maybe) in third, more likely fourth, and then hold fifth to redline and put it in sixth and hang on, baby.

Maxton and El Mirage are short tracks -- there you'll need some mid-range.

Wherever you go, take along an assortment of sprockets and play around to find what works best.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline ddahlgren

• Global Moderator
Do I need midrange power.
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2006, 04:53:08 AM »
You have to work backwards from the target speed and rpm to make sure it will pull the next gear with the rpm drop. You can get in a situation depending on the gearing that it will pull fifth at red line but will not pull 6'th or top gear at the bottom of that gear due to falling out of the power band, though it might still easily pull the top of high gear if you could get there. the more peaky an engine is the closer the splits in gears need to be as you progess up through the gears. That meaning 1 to 2 can be pretty wide and the difference between them has to be less as you get closer to high gear. the killer is the transmission made for a touring type bike that has nice splits in all but the last gear that is prmarily used for cruising so has a big jump tp to some silly overdrive ratio deal. This is the last thing you want to see. Sometimes if you can get the right sprockets you might consider ignoring high gear if the split is too steep. If you can not get the correct gearing without using a overdive wide split gear then you either have to build an engine that can deal with it or buy or have gears made to fix the splits..
There is some great software on this site for figuring all this out quickly.. The real problem with going 200 is you have to go 190 first..
Dave

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
GET CLOSE
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2006, 07:29:22 AM »
The closer the ratio you can get for the final gearshift and your projected
 speed the easier it will be.
You won't ever have a power saving  direct drive anyway and will always
 be through a gear set.
Most often in a  street trans the last gear is an overdrive and many times
you can't pull the power back up when the demands are the greatest and
the drop with the shift is the most.
Look at all the ratios and find the closest highest gear and sprocket to use that.
You will be geared pretty tall at the start but you can still take it easy on the clutch for the start.
You don't need a drag race start at Bonneville.
For example, I had a six speed -2 smoke and chose to use 3rd to 4th for
 the final change and didn't use 5th or 6th at all.
I changed sprocket to the required ratio and was on my way.
The next class higher motor size had different RPM demands and with the
same sprocket ratio would pull the 4th to 5th change and it had the
 increased power at a lower RPM to pull it.
All of that with the same bottom end. :wink:
"I would rather lose going fast enough to win than win going slow enough to lose."
"That horrible smell is dirty feet being held to the fire"