Author Topic: UK Lakester build G/GL  (Read 291426 times)

Offline ggl205

• G/FL 218.282 since 1995. G/FL record since 1993.
Re: UK Lakester build G/GL
« Reply #780 on: October 06, 2021, 09:40:51 AM »
Really clean, John. Tight seams and smooth flow. Bonneville air will like it.

John

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #781 on: October 06, 2021, 11:13:31 AM »
Those look like Hartwell latches.
Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #782 on: October 06, 2021, 11:28:40 AM »
Air... Water.... it's all liquid for flow...
I agree that's a nice shot... looks fast.... except for those darn axles and wheels sticking out all over the place  :?  :-o  :roll:
keep up the good work... 10 months left
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline Lemming Motors

« Reply #783 on: October 06, 2021, 03:11:38 PM »
I am going to delete the darn axles, add a propeller / screw at the pointy rear end and run when the flats are flooded  :cheers:

There has to be a class for that.....G/GS could be realigned (2 litre gas powered sub).
A Bonneville Lakester please barman.
Certainly sir; a lick of salt, a sip of gas and a twist of Lemming. More Lemming sir?
Just a squeeze.

A Squeeze of Lemming it is sir.

Offline Lemming Motors

« Reply #784 on: October 06, 2021, 03:14:14 PM »
Neil

Aerocatch 325. Not sure if that translates in the US.
Certainly sir; a lick of salt, a sip of gas and a twist of Lemming. More Lemming sir?
Just a squeeze.

Offline Lemming Motors

« Reply #785 on: November 09, 2021, 10:39:48 AM »
Some progress; I have been distracted by some DIY that will get the house finally sorted (and saleable) but I am finding some time in the garage.

56 pickup update; when it arrived from the US it had a GM G body front clip and in hindsight I probably should have scrapped that - first test drive last week nearly scared the brown stuff out of me; we were on rough heavily cambered back roads to be fair but wow, there was not much of a tendency to go in a straight line - all new bushes, ball joints, recon'd steering box etc but the backwards castor got the better of me. Changes to follow.

Aside from that excitement; one of the pics is me fitting a fibreglass 'ring' of body work and the firewall being fettled to be close to that to reduce the initial gaps - on the cockpit side I will use fibreglass to fix them together, on the engine side I will 'seal' the join with fireproof acrylic sealer and assume that meets the rule requirement - any comments on the approach?
Just a squeeze.

Offline Malcolm UK

« Reply #786 on: November 09, 2021, 12:49:14 PM »
on the engine side I will 'seal' the join with fireproof acrylic sealer and assume that meets the rule requirement - any comments on the approach?
As you know I spend my time on administration. Firewall holes have to be "sealed".  Whatever speed you hope to attain, just sit down and time how long a shutdown may take to bring the lakester to a halt from its top speed and for the driver to bail out. Then determine the time if the chutes were burnt off  With that information decide the best way to fire seal the drivers compartment.
Malcolm UK, Derby, England.

Offline Lemming Motors

« Reply #787 on: November 09, 2021, 05:12:06 PM »
Now there is a cheerful image Malcolm, but it is a good illustration as an answer to my question. I am liking the idea of an intumescent paint coating on the firewall and the few fittings that pass through it, over and above the fireproof sealant on the body / firewall interface.
Just a squeeze.

Offline Lemming Motors

« Reply #788 on: November 22, 2021, 07:00:57 AM »
The firewall and the fibreglass body ring (about 2 inches wide plus lips) have been fettled to tighten them up. I have used an intumescent sealer on the gaps and will then fibreglass the two together on both sides of the firewall.

The sealer says it has acoustic properties so that will make the cockpit nice and quiet  :-D

Nearly time to start on the rear bodywork.
Just a squeeze.

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #789 on: January 19, 2022, 10:28:01 PM »
Hey John anything going on out there?
You gonna get to the salt this year with your lakester?
We are all on the edge of our seats waiting for info...  :friday
OK maybe  we are just drinking and sliding to the edge of our seats  lol8
 :cheers:
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline WOODY@DDLLC

• ECTA made it to AR-Kansas!
    • Design Dreams, LLC
« Reply #790 on: January 20, 2022, 09:51:18 AM »
The sealer says it has acoustic properties so that will make the cockpit nice and quiet  :-D
You don't want to hear every terrifying bang, click, grind and whine?  :?
All models are wrong, but some are useful! G.E. Box (1967) www.designdreams.biz

Offline Lemming Motors

« Reply #791 on: February 08, 2022, 09:00:35 AM »
Hello from Lemming land.

The only salt I will see this year will be on my fush and chups (bit of Kiwi pronunciation there).  :-(

For a variety of reasons we (Tracey, Nonu the dog and I) are returning to NZ after 27 years in the UK.
The house here is sold and we have just had a nice man measure up the Lakester - turns out, using a 20 foot container, most of our household effects will not be travelling but the Lakester and the garage effects will. We have some land near Tauranga and will be building so I have convinced Tracey new furniture would be more appropriate (although the workshop might be the first room built).

As such I have had to do a rush job to get Squeeze on his feet to make travel easier - nothing like a deadline to get things moving; first time wheels have actually been attached to axles! In the process of jacking it went sideways and landed on its furry fibreglass underbelly - sounds of cracking body panels.  :cry: Not as bad as it could be and the silver lining - the rear suspension pushrod went over centre and locked up so that needs redesigning - better to discover that now than wonder why it went pear shaped on the salt.

A few pics to whet the appetite - one shows the rack and under all the bog dust you can just make out the lower pair of the 4-bar setup. The double D is a sliding steering column, under the floor (that's the x member you see).

:cheers:
Just a squeeze.

Offline Lemming Motors

« Reply #792 on: February 08, 2022, 09:01:25 AM »
A couple more.
Just a squeeze.

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #793 on: February 08, 2022, 11:05:37 AM »
Good luck on your move to NZ. The weather should be better in Tauranga.  :-)
Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ

Offline Lemming Motors

« Reply #794 on: February 08, 2022, 01:07:27 PM »
Thanks Neil

I reckon better weather, less traffic, worse beer, not as dog friendly (the Brits will let dogs in the public bar but children generally need to be on a lead - sensible people).
Just a squeeze.