Author Topic: UK Lakester build G/GL  (Read 291468 times)

Offline Lemming Motors

Re: UK Lakester build G/GL
« Reply #765 on: August 23, 2021, 04:16:10 AM »
I had to fight it but the nose eventually came out cleanly. I suspect the return lip locked it in the mold.

If you put you head inside you can hear the sea; call of the salt.

At some stage I will have to introduce it to the front of the beasty and find out how much work it will need but in the spirit of procrastination I will focus on the screens for a bit.
A Bonneville Lakester please barman.
Certainly sir; a lick of salt, a sip of gas and a twist of Lemming. More Lemming sir?
Just a squeeze.

A Squeeze of Lemming it is sir.

Offline ggl205

• G/FL 218.282 since 1995. G/FL record since 1993.
« Reply #766 on: August 23, 2021, 01:21:45 PM »
As per usual all, John, simply outstanding work.

John

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #767 on: August 23, 2021, 02:36:23 PM »
"... in the spirit of procrastination..."

I intend to look up that word someday but, for some reason, I keep putting it off.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Lemming Motors

« Reply #768 on: August 24, 2021, 02:06:55 PM »
Slim, seeing your comment reminded me; I you money (for all your good work) but I keep forgetting; cannot say its procrastination. I don't recall what the Midget dyno made so I will just guess a donation.

John G - thankyou for the encouragement; it will not necessarily go fast but you have to start and build something and someone has to come and drink your pale ales because there are too many on this site who seem to prefer mud  :cheers:
Certainly sir; a lick of salt, a sip of gas and a twist of Lemming. More Lemming sir?
Just a squeeze.

Offline Lemming Motors

« Reply #769 on: September 09, 2021, 11:34:55 AM »
As suspected the nose cone needs some slicing and dicing to fit - it was slightly aktion086 backward way of doing it but its close enough to work from.

I finished up the front shock / lever assemblies, put some wooden blocks to limit movement and lowered the front down onto axle stands. One side didn't drop to the wooden block, hung up, oh dear, somethings binding. Much poking and prodding only to discover one side has a coil spring on the shock and gosh darn it was doing its job. Amateur hour at the zoo in my garage today.

I will post some pickup progress as the Lakester is sulking after I swore at it.
Just a squeeze.

Offline ggl205

• G/FL 218.282 since 1995. G/FL record since 1993.
« Reply #770 on: September 10, 2021, 04:13:23 PM »
John, your old Chevy looks way better than mine. Unfortunately, I have to sell mine. The lakester is getting hungry again.

John

Offline Lemming Motors

« Reply #771 on: September 11, 2021, 07:29:36 AM »
Hope you can find an alternative (sell some offspring maybe?). There is some nice work under the hood / bonnet of that Chevy and it deserves to continue like that.
Just a squeeze.

Offline Lemming Motors

« Reply #772 on: September 14, 2021, 01:27:28 PM »
I made the introductions (nose to body) and had to beat some on the nose but the alignment is now pretty good.

Next is to do the latches to connect them together then use that fixed alignment to do some skim filler.

Some increase was required in the upper canopy body line (top of the hood if you will) so PorkPie, if you are reading this, your previous observations about the opening leading edge binding might have come true so obviously if that becomes the case it is your fault  :laugh:
Just a squeeze.

Offline Lemming Motors

« Reply #773 on: September 21, 2021, 05:11:18 AM »
Tracey had a late call so I used the time to watch a recording of a popular hot rod fabrication show based in Salt Lake City (other fabrication shops are available) and they went to the salt for a look at SW (no idea what year this was) and what did I see .....
Just a squeeze.

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #774 on: September 21, 2021, 09:35:34 AM »
I'm not sure I want to admit that I recognise them, but aren't those Stainless' legs in the foreground?  Can we use them to somehow date the photo? lol8
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #775 on: September 21, 2021, 09:57:07 AM »
Those look like 2017 legs to me.... but what do I know  :cheers:
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline Lemming Motors

« Reply #776 on: September 24, 2021, 09:31:37 AM »
The 'other' build diary of the truck that gets more people looking at the pics than the Lakester does  :-D

The UK uses amber for turn signals but I also added high level LED for turn in the bed roll ends and the top of the tailgate for brakes; sure the flipped fender and that tow hitch will say serves ya right of someone rear ends it but I would rather they didn't.

The things sticking up from the bed stake pockets are a removeable roof rack for transporting the racing canoe - its a USA style C2 sit-n-switch marathon canoe that a friend of mine and I have successfully competed in over a number of years. For the canoeists its a We-no-nah ICF model.
Just a squeeze.

Offline Lemming Motors

« Reply #777 on: October 06, 2021, 08:23:38 AM »
Luckily I don't have kids; if I did the first born would have been sold to pay for the catches that attach the nose to the body and that would have meant a short period of guilt. I am told they are cnc from billet and have been on quite a few cars at LeMans.
Just a squeeze.

Offline Lemming Motors

« Reply #778 on: October 06, 2021, 08:26:55 AM »
I acknowledge the comments made previously about reinforcing the canopy opening. For now it works after some further hinge mods as anticipated by PorkPie some time ago: I will move forward to the side windows.

I will come back to this and a few other areas in the future assuming it does not become a last minute rush to ship (of course it will).
Just a squeeze.

Offline Lemming Motors

« Reply #779 on: October 06, 2021, 08:28:33 AM »
If this LSR thing does not work out I thought I could apply at the Electric Boat Company in Groton Ct. as a designer.

I love this camera angle.
Just a squeeze.