Author Topic: UK Lakester build G/GL  (Read 291457 times)

Offline salt27

Re: UK Lakester build G/GL
« Reply #735 on: May 21, 2021, 02:48:44 PM »
John no worries, lakesters don't require bodies... unless you want to go fast  :dhorse:

As Jonny Carson always said when you come to a fork in the road... take it
It wasn't Johnny Carson.  I'm pretty sure that Charles DeGaulle penned that phrase.

Or maybe, Yogi Berra or Robert Frost Or Alice in Wonderland......

Offline Lemming Motors

« Reply #736 on: June 28, 2021, 05:07:42 AM »
Since I will not make it to SW this year progress has slowed - currently mocking up the windscreen area.

The current plan is to have A pillars and have two side windows - this allows me to transition (I will not say neatly) from flat screen to curved side panels but I am sure this plan will change once it is completed.

I have the beasty jacked up to a reasonable working height but my garage has a low flat roof so I can't hinge open the canopy in the space and that work has stopped for now.

Turns out aluminium is not a great windscreen - I thought if I purchased the clear (not brushed) finish ........ :-D
A Bonneville Lakester please barman.
Certainly sir; a lick of salt, a sip of gas and a twist of Lemming. More Lemming sir?
Just a squeeze.

A Squeeze of Lemming it is sir.

Offline Lemming Motors

« Reply #737 on: June 28, 2021, 05:11:19 AM »
The fibreglass triangle that looks like a quarter light window is actually a piece laid up in the mold (without gel coat) to infill - it will be glassed in place and to the A pillars then most of it will be cut out for the side windows which are in marker pen for now.

The nasty looking A pillar and roof leading edge is a very crude mold over card, tape and shape timber. I will smooth it, wax and lay up in that to get a panel that is close- I can then work on that to get the shape I want. I decided this was easier than trying to carve fiddly small bits of foam.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2021, 05:14:21 AM by Lemming Motors »
Certainly sir; a lick of salt, a sip of gas and a twist of Lemming. More Lemming sir?
Just a squeeze.

Offline Lemming Motors

« Reply #738 on: July 01, 2021, 10:03:13 AM »
Some refinement.
Just a squeeze.

Offline Lemming Motors

« Reply #739 on: July 13, 2021, 04:23:44 AM »
Nosing along.
Just a squeeze.

Offline Lemming Motors

« Reply #740 on: July 13, 2021, 04:31:29 AM »
The (UK) tow vehicle should be on the road soon.
Just a squeeze.

Offline Lemming Motors

« Reply #741 on: July 13, 2021, 04:45:26 AM »
I think, a few pages back, I said the truck wouldn't get panel and paint, just get it on the road. Its not perfect, it is not a show truck, but is starting to become a rather nice truck.
Just a squeeze.

Offline ggl205

• G/FL 218.282 since 1995. G/FL record since 1993.
« Reply #742 on: July 13, 2021, 10:55:30 PM »
John, your truck looks like it is in the company of some pretty nice hot rods.

John

Offline Lemming Motors

« Reply #743 on: July 14, 2021, 08:03:51 AM »
Yes, it is at the shop that did my Lakester roll structure for me.

The orange Ford Pop is fenderless, inboard rear suspension, and very nearly won best in Britain a few years ago (the proprietors personal ride).

There is a very good GT40 replica in the background being finished.

On any given day a hot rod truck or car and / or a classic car for restoration plus some classic race cars (Lolas and the like). The other truck in at the moment is an early 50s Chev and the bed cantilever hinges open to see the rear end which is cool. Looks stock when down and totally usable for grocery getting.

The other day job there is building / tuning / fettling the Sports 2000 race car of his own design that does 'quite well' in the national series; 7 out of the last 10 championships well.
Just a squeeze.

Offline ggl205

• G/FL 218.282 since 1995. G/FL record since 1993.
« Reply #744 on: July 14, 2021, 11:23:30 AM »
S2000 Sports Racers we?re my most favorite road racing cars. Easy to work on, easy to set up and an absolute joy to drive. I especially liked them because I could put my helmet in the passenger side and take a little nap on pre grid waiting for the five minute warning.

Anyway, I like progress on your lakester and can?t wait to see it run. I seem to run into one problem after another getting mine back out on the salt. Maybe 2022 for the both of us?

John
« Last Edit: July 14, 2021, 11:25:14 AM by ggl205 »

Offline Lemming Motors

« Reply #745 on: July 22, 2021, 10:41:08 AM »
Where do they manufacture noses?
At the olfactory.
Just a squeeze.

Offline Lemming Motors

« Reply #746 on: July 22, 2021, 10:48:12 AM »
Almost a nose plug.
Just a squeeze.

Offline Lemming Motors

« Reply #747 on: August 17, 2021, 06:44:05 AM »
As the salt slowly settles on SW 2021 - congratulations to everyone who made it there (not at all jealous) and  :cheers: to successful runs and  :clap to new records.

While ya'all were having fun a little progress was made in Lemming Land.
Just a squeeze.

Offline Lemming Motors

« Reply #748 on: August 17, 2021, 06:50:52 AM »
And from the olfactory......

It turns out using Durabuild over Polyfilla does not work. It seemed like a good idea at the time; without mistakes how do we learn; man I must be smart :lol:

The Durabuild simply creates an egg shell - next time use proper auto filler  :roll:
As a result sanding high spots and bogged low spots was problematic; kept cutting through to the polyfilla.

I decided to wax what was there and layup a quick mold to get the nose out in fibreglass and finish it off in situ rather than at the plug stage.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2021, 06:59:09 AM by Lemming Motors »
Just a squeeze.

Offline Lemming Motors

« Reply #749 on: August 17, 2021, 06:56:52 AM »
With more than a little relief the mold halves parted (the lips were predrilled for later alignment) though the plug suffered a bit - no worries as that is for the big heave ho.

I had left the tailings in place to give me something to layup a return lip onto - the mold halves were bolted back onto the plug and I laid the lip onto the waxed ply that formed the base of the plug.

This weekend will be one of discovery - after the nose comes out of the mold will it be a matter of fairing it in situ or will it need surgery; stay tuned for the next instalment of Lemmings mess with fibreglass.
Just a squeeze.