Author Topic: Are records set at Speedweek, WOS and Finals world records  (Read 9649 times)

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
Re: Are records set at Speedweek, WOS and Finals world records
« Reply #45 on: May 23, 2022, 12:25:39 PM »
OK, for me it's easy... there is no FIA lakester class... although one has an FIA record... and got 2 guys in the 200 MPH club.... but it was 18MPH slower than my BNI (not SCTA) record.  SCTA records are set at El Mirage... 1.3 miles to a trap speed... Streamliners also easy.... the classes are the same... almost...

Actually, there is neither an FIA lakester or streamliner class. What the SCTA calls lakesters and streamliners the FIA calls "automobiles"  I like that.

You mean this...  that's what I call almost...  cromag

OFFICIAL LIST OF WORLD SPEED RECORDS HOMOLOGATED BY THE FIA IN CATEGORY A
LISTE OFFICIELLE DES RECORDS DU MONDE DE VITESSE HOMOLOGUES PAR LA FIA EN CATEGORIE A
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline TrickyDicky

« Reply #46 on: May 23, 2022, 12:43:29 PM »
OK, for me it's easy... there is no FIA lakester class... although one has an FIA record... and got 2 guys in the 200 MPH club.... but it was 18MPH slower than my BNI (not SCTA) record.  SCTA records are set at El Mirage... 1.3 miles to a trap speed... Streamliners also easy.... the classes are the same... almost...

Actually, there is neither an FIA lakester or streamliner class. What the SCTA calls lakesters and streamliners the FIA calls "automobiles"  I like that.

You mean this...  that's what I call almost...  cromag

OFFICIAL LIST OF WORLD SPEED RECORDS HOMOLOGATED BY THE FIA IN CATEGORY A
LISTE OFFICIELLE DES RECORDS DU MONDE DE VITESSE HOMOLOGUES PAR LA FIA EN CATEGORIE A
That will be it.  Category A is "Automobiles".

You might also like the FIA's definition of "World Record":

Best performance accomplished in a determined class or group. There are World Records for Automobiles and Special Automobiles.

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #47 on: May 23, 2022, 01:22:01 PM »
Yep, not to mention their list of absolute world records...
I find it interesting to know that according to the FIA the fastest 1/4 mile time actually happened in 1992 @ 298.118 MPH
I guess they don't recognize the NHRA either....  lol8
Again guys... the FIA is just another organization that certifies records... their list... You want to be on their list, give 'em money and get on their list.
Fastest is still the Fastest  :cheers:
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline kustombrad

• Project No Bucks '49
« Reply #48 on: May 23, 2022, 02:51:03 PM »
The only "common sense" statement in this entire conversation are those five simple words...FASTEST IS STILL THE FASTEST!"

Offline PorkPie

• think fast.....always
« Reply #49 on: May 23, 2022, 03:03:14 PM »
let me clarify some points.

a lakester and a streamliner runs under the FIA in the category special constructions and not "automobil"

the only records over the kilo and mile under the FIA - for a long time - which was called World Speed Record, was the unlimited category "C"...this was the records for vehicles powered by rocket or jet engine....all the wheel driven like the records set by the Summers Brothers or Al Teague was only called
"International Record"....it needs us a long time, including people like Dave Petrali or David Tremanyne to change this....this was about 10 years ago, to the the same time they also killed a long time rule..."the one percent rule"...what had means that you had to go 1 percent faster than the existing record...
a lot of people was faster but walked away with nothing as there was this one percent rule....which came from the stone age of speed records when the equipment wasn't that accurat and sometimes like Daytona the mile lost some yards over night......by the way, up to 1935 the turn around time was only 30 minutes, when Malcolm Campbell set the first record at Bonneville, where he became the first man on land going faster than 300 mph, he asked for a change of that 30 minute as they has to change the tire after every run.....and he got the go for that.....

to my understanding the DLRA copied the SCTA/BNI/USFRA used category and safety requirment rules when the start to go serious on the lake in Australia,
so here you can "compare" the racers.

Finally something to the Honda team and their streamliners....

yes, they had the record car and a clone of that at the salt....but the clone was never for racing....this car was installed on the dyno to get the necessary numbers to tune the used racer. yes, when I know right, Myagi stays shy under Rick's record of 271 mph.....
but we have to stay fair...when the Honda team run, the salt wasn't in the best shape...and bringing a car out of the nothing to the salt with zero expierence and than setting a so record straight out was a great job....the JCB in 2006 didn't set record before some of real old salt experts gave them the necessary information and tricks to be successful at the salt.....for a newby the Honda team done a d a m n good job....and especially....they never done a big arrogant show....they stayed humble through the time they were at the salt.....

this two cents from the other side of the pond
« Last Edit: May 23, 2022, 03:06:00 PM by PorkPie »
Pork Pie

Photoartist & Historian & 200 MPH Club Member (I/GL 202.8 mph in the orig. Bockscar #1000)

Offline ronnieroadster

« Reply #50 on: May 23, 2022, 03:22:15 PM »
The only "common sense" statement in this entire conversation are those five simple words...FASTEST IS STILL THE FASTEST!"

Those five words pretty much sum up this entire subject.      :cheers:
Working in the shop I use the 'F' word a lot. No not that word these words Focus and Finish go Fast and Flathead Ford!
 ECTA  XF/BGRMR Record 179.8561
 LTA    XF/BGRMR  Record 200.921 First  Ever Ford Flathead Roadster to hit 200 MPH burning gasoline July 2018
 SCTA  XF/BGRMR Record 205.744  First gas burning Ford flathead powered roadster to top 200 MPH at Bonneville August 7, 2021 top speed 219.717
 SCTA  XXF/BGRMR Record 216.131 plus a Red Hat
"Life Member of the Bonneville 200 MPH Club"

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #51 on: May 23, 2022, 04:07:41 PM »
"I find it interesting to know that according to the FIA the fastest 1/4 mile time actually happened in 1992 @ 298.118 MPH."

Well, the ones running now wouldn't qualify -- I think 1000 feet is shorter than a quarter mile.

And, completely off the subject, Colton shortened to 3/16 (about 1003 feet) in the 60s.  So I'd guess that all their record holders still hold "World Records".

And the stupid (at least in the way they wrote it) C/AIR class created to get "World Records" for incompetent engines was a true blessing.
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline tortoise

« Reply #52 on: May 23, 2022, 05:04:13 PM »
a lakester and a streamliner runs under the FIA in the category special constructions and not "automobil"
Not so. Read Appendix D. Nothing in the rules prohibits production bodies in Class A. Excuse me. "Category" A
« Last Edit: May 23, 2022, 06:37:35 PM by tortoise »

Offline TrickyDicky

« Reply #53 on: May 23, 2022, 06:16:25 PM »

Unfortunately, I think you may be a little out of date, Thomas.

Lakesters and streamliners are in Category A which is today called "Automobiles".  This is where you can find the famous (FIA) records set by the Summers Brothers, Al Teague, Don Vesco, Tom Burkland, George Poteet and many others.

Category C is the one called "Special Automobiles", and seems to be mainly (but not exclusively) for thrust-powered vehicles.  This is where Gary Gabelich's Blue Flame and Andy Green's ThrustSSC records sit.

Oh, and Category A used to be called "Special Automobiles" just to confuse us further.

Is that clear now?   :-D  :friday  :cheers:

Offline TrickyDicky

« Reply #54 on: May 23, 2022, 06:20:45 PM »
Agreed.

But you can be the fastest and not hold a record.  See, for example, Mickey Thompson in 1960.

Offline TrickyDicky

« Reply #55 on: May 23, 2022, 06:34:30 PM »
I find it interesting to know that according to the FIA the fastest 1/4 mile time actually happened in 1992 @ 298.118 MPH
I find it interesting that it says 185.242 mph / 298.118 km/h in the list I'm looking at.

Offline trimmers

• Jeff in Boise
« Reply #56 on: May 23, 2022, 06:48:23 PM »
Yes, TrickyDicky, you are correct!  Eddie Hill set the record at 185.xxxMPH back in 1992.   But as I recall from FIA Appendix D, that's an average speed from a standing start over an entire quarter mile (1320 feet), rather than NHRA's 66-foot speed trap at the end.
Jeff in Boise
« Last Edit: May 23, 2022, 07:21:55 PM by trimmers »
------------- 1 of just 3 in all 3  -------------
USFRA 130 MPH Club 09/18/2008 136.757
USFRA 150 MPH Club 09/17/2009 152.162
Bonneville 200 MPH Club 09/15/2019 218.600
Best Run: 253.080 MPH 09/14/2019 #6556

Offline trimmers

• Jeff in Boise
« Reply #57 on: May 23, 2022, 07:01:58 PM »

Pork Pie:  Actually, streamliners, lakesters, roadsters, and all other "race cars" do run in FIA Category A: "Automobiles", except thrust-power ones (aka wingless airplanes taxiing) which are in Category C: "Special Automobiles".   Category B is "Series Production Automobiles" (FIA randomly picks ones to run from a group of bone-stock cars), and Category D is Drag Racers - in which (like Category A) the only thing that counts is engine type, size, and aspiration.
Jeff in Boise   
------------- 1 of just 3 in all 3  -------------
USFRA 130 MPH Club 09/18/2008 136.757
USFRA 150 MPH Club 09/17/2009 152.162
Bonneville 200 MPH Club 09/15/2019 218.600
Best Run: 253.080 MPH 09/14/2019 #6556

Offline PorkPie

• think fast.....always
« Reply #58 on: May 24, 2022, 12:09:48 PM »
Oh, they really changed the call out finally....they said they like to do some changes here when they start in 2014 this "great" idea to split the former 11 displacement sizes for combusting engines into 14....also some weight splittings....

interesting...in the final 2020 list (I'm getting them every year from the FIA) they sent me it was still the old calls....?????

maybe I log me in into the FIA web and check what is going on....than I can also check what the final result is for the 4.2 litre....as a while ago it looks that a record by Mercedes from 1938 would be now the record holder...and the BB CN7 from Donald Campbell will be back in the record list.....

if it's too easy....make it complicate....the FIA is very successful here..... :friday

Pork Pie:  Actually, streamliners, lakesters, roadsters, and all other "race cars" do run in FIA Category A: "Automobiles", except thrust-power ones (aka wingless airplanes taxiing) which are in Category C: "Special Automobiles".   Category B is "Series Production Automobiles" (FIA randomly picks ones to run from a group of bone-stock cars), and Category D is Drag Racers - in which (like Category A) the only thing that counts is engine type, size, and aspiration.
Jeff in Boise
Pork Pie

Photoartist & Historian & 200 MPH Club Member (I/GL 202.8 mph in the orig. Bockscar #1000)

Offline tortoise

« Reply #59 on: May 24, 2022, 02:04:56 PM »
Yes, TrickyDicky, you are correct!  Eddie Hill set the record at 185.xxxMPH back in 1992.   But as I recall from FIA Appendix D, that's an average speed from a standing start over an entire quarter mile (1320 feet), rather than NHRA's 66-foot speed trap at the end.
Jeff in Boise
That's a 4.86 second ET, by my math. Maybe that's why nobody in the USA is interested in FIA standing start records; they sound so slow. The runways where they run standing mile are quite suitable for 2-way standing kilometer runs.