Author Topic: Are records set at Speedweek, WOS and Finals world records  (Read 9644 times)

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
Re: Are records set at Speedweek, WOS and Finals world records
« Reply #15 on: May 08, 2022, 08:23:04 PM »
Well boys if it is the fastest anyone has gone in a vehicle class.... I don't care where it was timed over a mile distance at a sanctioned event, that would make it a "World Record"

So if my world record is faster than your world record....
I know who has the world record  :cheers:
and who has a national or regional record  :dhorse:

My feelings on this subject again... oh, I guess that's why I quoted myself.  If you have a pair of timing slips in my class that are faster than mine then you have the world record.  If not, I have it...
Or to put it so all can understand.... if my record is faster than yours in the same class then I'm faster than you and have the world record... until some else goes faster. 
Fastest is still fastest  :clap  :cheers:
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline ronnieroadster

« Reply #16 on: May 08, 2022, 09:07:19 PM »
Its actually pretty simple I'm the fastest in the world {add class} until someone else is.    :laugh:
Working in the shop I use the 'F' word a lot. No not that word these words Focus and Finish go Fast and Flathead Ford!
 ECTA  XF/BGRMR Record 179.8561
 LTA    XF/BGRMR  Record 200.921 First  Ever Ford Flathead Roadster to hit 200 MPH burning gasoline July 2018
 SCTA  XF/BGRMR Record 205.744  First gas burning Ford flathead powered roadster to top 200 MPH at Bonneville August 7, 2021 top speed 219.717
 SCTA  XXF/BGRMR Record 216.131 plus a Red Hat
"Life Member of the Bonneville 200 MPH Club"

Offline aircap

« Reply #17 on: May 09, 2022, 12:09:36 AM »
Guinness....a book for settling arguments on trivia between drunks. Hardly an authority.
"Act your age, not your shoe size". - Prince

Offline PorkPie

• think fast.....always
« Reply #18 on: May 09, 2022, 12:47:34 PM »
well...you can see it from different views....saying...the fastest is the fastest...this is one view...

let us look back to the beginning....

when the first world record was set in 1898....it was a small automobil club in Paris who tooks care....as the first record attempt was a little bit outside of Paris....so they also took care for the next couple of months....and when the next real attempt was on....a couple years later....they took again care as no one other was at the place....

so this small club became what we know today as FIA....the FIM needs a little bit longer to take care.....and both changed their names over the years before they became the today name....

especially in the beginning the "FIA" act sometimes very strange and to today the historians having no idea why....but the certification or not of a record attempt....it was more a lottery the driver has to play....

viewing now the role of the FIA and FIM in the today speed record world....what they really doing....?

the organisations like SCTA/(BNI)/USFRA......their rules, for myself, I see them as the American rules....especially here the safety requirements and the categories....and in fact....also the Australian meets using them....so it is actually a international rule.....as finally, since a couple years, the international copied this rules and using it for safety and inspections of the racers....

that the FIA and FIM runs the record attempts under a different rule.....well....it is impossible to use their rules on meets like the Speedweek.....so, the solution we run the records at the yearly salt meets isn't bad and it works for us....

and comparing the attempt rules....you can't do it....both have advantages and disadvantages.....when you run FIA....one hour return is maybe tough....but in the other hand you can check for a perfect weather window....you run, like at the Speedweek....well....you have to run under the weather and salt condition you got on the next morning....

this is one point to view

the other is the classes....

the FIA got no roadster or lakester classes........they got special constructions....this is normally that what be called....streamliner.......and they got production cars.....and some special sport categories which run under the flag of FIA.....
streamliners.....as the FIA records are very often from stone age.....a lot of records are a lot slower as the records in the SCTA/USFRA record book....

so.....here we are....if you run a roadster or lakester it is simple so that the FIA can't offer a matching category.....

who is now the world fastest......

the answer can be only.......the one who is the fastest in the class he run....doesn't matter under which organisation....especially as the organisation who means they have the rights to rule and says ours are the world or international records.....didn't offer the chance to run for all this class records.....

so, finally, what really counts, is....

that we all go over a flying kilo or mile...with a two way average....

and the one who does the best job is best......important is that the competitor in the class/category is matching to the rule and can be compared.....apple against apple....

wish you all a safe season
« Last Edit: May 10, 2022, 12:48:50 PM by PorkPie »
Pork Pie

Photoartist & Historian & 200 MPH Club Member (I/GL 202.8 mph in the orig. Bockscar #1000)

Offline tortoise

« Reply #19 on: May 09, 2022, 04:46:58 PM »

But in SCTA we have a two run average, not a two way average....

Offline PorkPie

• think fast.....always
« Reply #20 on: May 09, 2022, 06:35:39 PM »

But in SCTA we have a two run average, not a two way average....

it is impossible to use their rules on meets like the Speedweek.....so, the solution we run the records at the yearly salt meets isn't bad and it works for us....

and there are  no words about.....two runs in opposite ways (direction).......in my note.......

two run and two way is the same....it only depends what English you use......American, English, Australian.....two cents for that     :dhorse: :dhorse: :dhorse:
Pork Pie

Photoartist & Historian & 200 MPH Club Member (I/GL 202.8 mph in the orig. Bockscar #1000)

Offline PorkPie

• think fast.....always
« Reply #21 on: May 09, 2022, 06:40:57 PM »
...and as it looks that my note is tough to understand....

here the short summary...

NO SINGLE Organisation has the rights to say...."that only we have the rights to certified World Records...and all other not..."
Pork Pie

Offline tortoise

« Reply #22 on: May 09, 2022, 06:48:42 PM »

two run and two way is the same....it only depends what English you use......American, English, Australian.....two cents for that     :dhorse: :dhorse: :dhorse:
I defer to your superior knowledge of Englishes.

Online stay`tee

• "Kawasaki ZX12 Turbocharged"
« Reply #23 on: May 09, 2022, 07:05:38 PM »
What muddies the waters are these tarmac events originaly refered to as "Sprints", thay have now tagged the term "Landspeed",,

Little Johnny fronts, makes a one way pass, timed thru a short (32', 66', ?) trap and is hailed as a World "Landspeed" Record holder  :roll:

First Australian to ride a motorcycle over 200mph at Bonneville,,,

Offline salt27

« Reply #24 on: May 09, 2022, 09:45:07 PM »
...and as it looks that my note is tough to understand....

here the short summary...

NO SINGLE Organisation has the rights to say...."that only we have the rights to certified World Records...and all other not..."

I thought you were quite clear and think you summed it up nicely.

Don

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #25 on: May 10, 2022, 10:40:15 AM »
Well said Pork Pie...
You have the World Land Speed Record for 1 Liter Normally Aspirated Gas  Lakesters.
You will continue to own that until someone goes faster... and someone will  :cheers:
Records are never forever... technology will guarantee they will be overcome sooner or later  :cheers:
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline gowing

« Reply #26 on: May 10, 2022, 12:35:31 PM »
The more I research, the more I find:

different organizations, different rules = different results.

It all seems pretty arbitrary to me.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2022, 12:37:10 PM by gowing »

Offline PorkPie

• think fast.....always
« Reply #27 on: May 10, 2022, 12:38:56 PM »
a record is only borrowed
Pork Pie

Offline salt27

« Reply #28 on: May 10, 2022, 01:41:07 PM »
Some of the record keeping organizations seem a bit more organized than others.   :deal

Don

Offline Malcolm UK

« Reply #29 on: May 10, 2022, 02:16:33 PM »
What muddies the waters are these tarmac events originaly refered to as "Sprints", thay have now tagged the term "Landspeed",,

In Britain, where we only have beaches and a few long airfields, World land speed records have been achieved under FIM and FIA governance for many decades on both surfaces. The flying start kilometre and flying start mile distances being timed, along with other shorter national timed distances. 

The name of Elvington Airfield appears against many records up to this day. Once there were outright world speed records too, but that changed when Daytona beach and then Bonneville could be reached in the late nineteen twenties. (If you had money to ship cars and other vehicles that far).

In May 2023 there will be World two run average (2RAT) speed records established in Britain at an event organised by UK & International Timing Adjudication, with participants from numerous countries.

By the way to many of us a 'sprint' is the name for a standing start straightline or twisty course, timed from start to finish. The course may be up to 1 mile in length. The competitors time allows positions in class to be determined. [There is no calculation of speed].         

Malcolm UK, Derby, England.