Author Topic: Bockscar 2.0  (Read 467137 times)

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
Re: Bockscar 2.0
« Reply #1275 on: May 14, 2022, 10:34:51 AM »
I did not fall off the planet... I'm still working on the car... when I connected the hat and turbo on the 3/4 liter getting ready to jump on the dyno it smoked... I knew I might have a turbo drain issue since the foot of line only dropped an 1/8 inch and returned at oil level. I went on the hunt for a scavenge pump. There is a mechanical made for these but the guy that makes them said the 750 GSXR might have the cover at a slight angel... and he has had some folks break the drive shaft.  I measured and the cover had about .015 of angle over the 2 inches of mount... not sure I want to chance that at 13000 RPM.
This is the one I landed on.  It is a small electric, takes 3 amps to start up and runs on about 2 or less when the oil is warm. I'm returning oil below the level so I added a check ball in the return line as it exits the pump... that's the tall line, the top of the hump is well above engine oil level. I have it wired to the fuel pump relay so it runs for 4 seconds when the ECU is turned on and runs anytime the motor is turning.  It says it is self priming and can run dry... but I should never need to find out.  It is not final installed, I have proper hardware and need to paint.
Started it up and no smoke.... it is pumping warm oil... now I'm ready to throw it on the dyno.
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline Rex Schimmer

• Only time and money prevent completion!
« Reply #1276 on: May 14, 2022, 01:28:06 PM »
Quoting Stainless "now I'm ready to throw it on the dyno." Let the suffering begin!!

Rex
Rex

Not much matters and the rest doesn't matter at all.

Offline floydjer

• "There is no duck side of the moon..."
« Reply #1277 on: May 14, 2022, 01:51:00 PM »
Pump mount is downright artistic. 1drink
I`d never advocate drugs,alcohol,violence or insanity to anyone...But they work for me.

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
« Reply #1278 on: May 14, 2022, 11:19:48 PM »
Coming to SpeedWeek this year Jerry?  I plan to have the car there again with the 1 liter... You can see it in person.... although it may look better in pictures.  :roll:
It's a small car... gotta put stuff where you can find a spot... that sometimes requires making the permanent part small enough to leave in place. 
Life may be running interference on my dyno time... my cousin is putting a solar system in his cabin in NM.  I recently built burglar bars for his doors and windows... he also wants a cage for the components and batteries on the inside.  I grabbed stuff for that today.  He would like us... us... to go install all this in a week or so....   I guess I will not move the car to the dyno until everything is built for the cabin... just in case I need the space.
Back to ya with more details... when they occur...  :cheers:
Stainless

Offline floydjer

« Reply #1279 on: May 15, 2022, 12:34:25 PM »
This year??? Geez Bob, We spoke for about 15 minutes last year...Guess I should have introduced myself.....🤔
I`d never advocate drugs,alcohol,violence or insanity to anyone...But they work for me.

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
« Reply #1280 on: May 16, 2022, 12:12:20 AM »
Really... were you the guy in the pink shoes or the one with the funny hat?   :naughty
Hey I don't even recognize the old guy that I see in the mirror every now and then...
Stainless

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
« Reply #1281 on: May 21, 2022, 09:08:09 AM »
Keep Moving... well kinda... the car is on the dyno finally.  The delay was caused by that cage looking thing behind the car.  I'll be taking that to NM next week to install it and the burglar bar covers I built for the doors and windows for my cousins Pie Town area cabin. The cage will house his new solar system batteries, inverter and controller.  The place is off grid... although I think electricity is available about 5 miles away.  :?  He did say that last year a cell tower was built close enough to get service. The covers and cage are to deter casual entry and theft... an issue he has been having.
But I plan to get started today with a little dyno work.  I spent a bit of time cleaning up the dyno wiring and getting the control box off the floor.  Almost looks organized...  :roll:
Time to start tuning and checking systems.
Stainless

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #1282 on: May 21, 2022, 11:44:43 AM »
Two torpedo tubes in the bow?
Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ

Offline salt27

« Reply #1283 on: May 21, 2022, 05:26:23 PM »
Two torpedo tubes in the bow?

Not a sub, it's a bomber, they're in the radome.   :wink:
« Last Edit: May 21, 2022, 09:06:02 PM by salt27 »

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
« Reply #1284 on: June 13, 2022, 12:35:40 AM »
OK got back from my 2 weeks off grid... place is locked up and solar installed... left the fridge running, a light on and a couple of ultra-sonic transmitters hopefully making the local rodents unhappy being there.
The grass is mostly cut and I got caught up enough to run the dyno today... got the 3/4 tuned up through 7500 rpm... in 4 sessions, I have to allow cool down for water and oil between runs...  only another 5000 rpm to tune. That will take 5 sessions, higher RPM's build heat faster and take longer to cool down.  Intercooler only required 3 bags of ice today.... from here it will be 1.5 - 2 bags per 1000 RPM... tuning in 500 RPM steps every 10% of throttle position. 
Stainless

Offline Rex Schimmer

• Only time and money prevent completion!
« Reply #1285 on: June 13, 2022, 09:12:59 PM »
 And you wonder how you wear out your sprockets and chains!

Rex
Rex

Not much matters and the rest doesn't matter at all.

Offline floydjer

« Reply #1286 on: June 13, 2022, 09:29:44 PM »
I had a critter move into the shop and force me to install an electro- gut twister device....He went....RACING out into the wild. :cheers: Good luck with your tune. 😀

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
« Reply #1287 on: June 14, 2022, 01:37:14 AM »
Well Rex, I guess I will probably do 80, 90 and 100% from here since everything above 9K better be WFO.... I should be able to interpolate the other. I calculated license speeds, and RPM... you don't want to lean it out trying to go slow...  the area below 9K is required to make those passes. 
Does that mean we'll be working on a new driver when the 3/4 goes in... possibly... and if we are, we will be prepared....
with any luck  :cheers:

Jerry, seems to be mice and ground squirrels.... they move indoors to build nests.... hopefully not any more.
Stainless

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
« Reply #1288 on: June 19, 2022, 10:45:25 PM »
Done tuning with gas... next up is E85... but that will require larger injectors... So out comes the 375cc and in goes the 650cc.  This will be quicker... maybe... I have the 1 liter with those same injectors as a starting point.  I wonder if the 1 liter gas tune will be close to the 3/4 liter E85 tune?  Time to start looking at the numbers.

But in the mean time I painted the exhaust manifold and pipes... House of Color "MC Hammer - Can't touch that" orange...  :roll: I think the wastegate is working as well.  I might need to get the exhaust heat shield built... and everything wrapped before it goes in for racing.  And yes I have a fan blowing through there during testing.
Stainless

Offline floydjer

« Reply #1289 on: June 20, 2022, 04:04:49 PM »
You left yourself notes near the throttle bodies...What are those for?