Author Topic: Bockscar 2.0  (Read 467309 times)

Offline floydjer

• "There is no duck side of the moon..."
Re: Bockscar 2.0
« Reply #1245 on: March 11, 2022, 04:34:35 PM »
🤔...Maybe the threads have slight slant to them?
I`d never advocate drugs,alcohol,violence or insanity to anyone...But they work for me.

Offline Interested Observer

« Reply #1246 on: March 11, 2022, 07:38:33 PM »
A filter to keep possible disintegrating turbo debris out of the engine?

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #1247 on: March 12, 2022, 01:13:47 AM »
The motor held all the oil in... o-rings on both sides of the fitting did the trick.  I'm calling that good and we're continuing the motor install. 
Tried to install throttle bodies... Ya know, I think the 750 and 1000 throttle bodies are different.  I had just grabbed some intake flanges put on new o-rings and installed them... not the same ones that I used on the husk motor.  Well the throttle bodies wouldn't slide in them... even with El Kabong lending assistance.  I looked and the part numbers were different.... dang... so I grabbed the ones from the husk, cleaned them up, added new rings and now the TB's fit.
Rounded up the injectors that I think are for a Honda S2000.... they look like busa and 1000 but flow about 100cc/min more, so I took them to Kurt at Advance Injector.  He will quick check the flow to ensure he has the big ones, then do a complete clean, new filters, o-rings and flow test.  He'll call Monday and hopefully tell me they are ready. 
As always there's plenty to do... glad Johnboy stopped in to help for a couple of days on his way to visit his sister for her 50th wedding anniversary.
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline floydjer

« Reply #1248 on: March 12, 2022, 09:54:50 AM »
Bob......What is a "husk"?
I`d never advocate drugs,alcohol,violence or insanity to anyone...But they work for me.

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
« Reply #1249 on: March 12, 2022, 10:10:50 AM »
The "husk" was the empty motor shell I was using to make fit up parts for the 3/4 liter.  The real motor is now in there... hoping to start it this month... The 1 liter is going back in for SpeedWeek.

A filter to keep possible disintegrating turbo debris out of the engine?

IO... oil or air?... My experience so far is the turbo is more durable than the engine....  :roll:
Stainless

Offline floydjer

« Reply #1250 on: March 12, 2022, 08:05:05 PM »
Ah.....A husk is a shell....Thought maybe it was a slug...... :cheers:

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
« Reply #1251 on: March 12, 2022, 11:21:25 PM »
Jerry, I'm hoping the 3/4 isn't a slug....  lol8

Y'all remember that chain guard I made a while back.... well it was time to finish it get it installed.  I decided it needed to bolt the loose end to the car so it is fairly rigid and continuous to the rear chain guard.

Also part of this is the clutch slave.  Made a new push rod and now have the  clutch working.  Started installing the electrical and fuel plumbing.  I will probably throw the sprocket alignment laser on again tomorrow to make sure motor installation is repeatable...
The fun continues while I wait for the 1 liter head...
Stainless

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
« Reply #1252 on: March 15, 2022, 01:12:53 AM »
I've been hooking things up and adapting the 3/4 liter.... For sure, the air filter box will not work with this motor... but I think the one I am working on may work for this and the other motors.  Johnboy and I started looking at what we could do before he left... came up with an idea to make a new box, bring air in the side... put a filter down the middle, and send air out the same side after it passes through the filter. 
We went to the parts store and browsed air filters... opened a lot of boxes...brought one home to think with.
Then I discovered the K&N find a filter by type and size website.  Put in the dimensions I wanted and it kicked out 4 filters... I settled on one for a Camry...   went back and traded for that one.... now we even know what it fits... ya know, when you go in there and they always ask what car you're working on... they can't find a part unless they know what you're working on... Well it ain't a lakester anymore... it's a 2017 Camry  aktion086  OK, just when I need an air filter  :laugh:
Here's the start of the idea
Stainless

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
« Reply #1253 on: March 19, 2022, 11:40:06 PM »
As usual I have several projects for the lakester in work at the same time.  I guess it my Air Force training... work a job to parts, order parts... start the next, order parts...
So the air box... I went to the yard thinking I could find some small aluminum channel or even square tube that I can mill the top off... nothing... I back burner that project and go to Home Depot for a house project... I walk by their metal rack and they have aluminum 1/2" channel 3 ft $14... .well that might work... then I notice the same channel 8 ft for $9.... Want to guess which one I bought? 
I am also working on exhaust, turbo oiling supply and return. 
I built the return line, connected to the turbo, but didn't connect to the motor yet... couldn't get a wrench under the turbo with the bottom of the car on...
Started on exhaust.  Had a plan that worked all the way until the Waste Gate wouldn't fit in the allotted space. Unfortunately I welded a couple of the pipe bends... crap... I will probably cut those apart tomorrow.
So bounced back to the air box... cut up the aluminum channel and welded a frame for the filter... My hold up on the air box now is finding a brake to bend up the box, or find thinner aluminum I can cut up to make a box... I have some 1/8 that is sized close to what I need... oh, need to find a shear for it as well.  John Goodman might know a guy... OK
Race car building is fun... sometimes  :?  :x   :clap  :wink:  :dhorse:  :cheers:
yea you get the full range of emotions almost every day
« Last Edit: March 20, 2022, 11:35:02 AM by Stainless1 »
Stainless

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #1254 on: March 20, 2022, 11:52:06 AM »
"Race car building is fun... sometimes ...  yea you get the full range of emotions almost every day"

Ain't that the truth!
Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
« Reply #1255 on: March 22, 2022, 01:29:29 AM »
The exhaust... previously I tried to feed the wastegate exhaust back into the turbo exhaust for a single pipe... That leads to cracks and being a general PITA to build.... the 3/4 may just end up as dual exhaust... wonder if it will sound different...  :roll:
So some of this is welded... some of it is tacked.. The trick is to make it so everything fits... and is removable
Stainless

Offline kiwi belly tank

« Reply #1256 on: March 22, 2022, 03:10:26 AM »
Looking good, lots of room! You only have 3lbs of $hit in a 5lb bag. :-D
  Sid.

Offline Lemming Motors

« Reply #1257 on: March 22, 2022, 07:53:12 AM »
I.... now we even know what it fits... ya know, when you go in there and they always ask what car you're working on... they can't find a part unless they know what you're working on...

That girls and boys is very sound advice when visiting the modern parts department.

Years ago when I was rebuilding my MkI Midget you could go in, hold up some part you didn't know the name of and the counter staff would go ah - that's part number 123 from an MG Midget and we will have to order it in but if you buy part number 124 from an Austin A40 it is identical and only 2/3rds the price. I will go out back and grab you one - I know exactly what shelf it is on.

When I converted the S2 Europa to Ford Zetec motive power I actually needed a registration number of the car to buy parts for the engine but their computer said no. Luckily someone behind the counter had a 2.0 litre Focus and let me know the registration plate to enable me to buy parts.
A Bonneville Lakester please barman.
Certainly sir; a lick of salt, a sip of gas and a twist of Lemming. More Lemming sir?
Just a squeeze.

A Squeeze of Lemming it is sir.

Offline floydjer

« Reply #1258 on: March 22, 2022, 01:09:09 PM »
Looking good😀

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
« Reply #1259 on: March 22, 2022, 11:02:52 PM »
Sid... it is a smaller engine...  so realistically it is 3.75 lbs of shit in a 5 pound bag... small cars are always an exercise in packaging... although even when you are packed in tight you are still carrying around a lot of air....

John, the shocks in the car years ago were pinto... then all the sudden(ok 20-25 years later) you couldn't get pinto parts any more.  I still tell the counter guys at the autozone it's a  1984 MSA Lakester.... half of them ask me to spell it after the first try  :laugh:  :laugh:  aktion086

Welded most of the exhaust... have a chunk of straight pipe on the way to finish the wastegate pipe... those bends are all old Suzuki MC header parts... non magnetic... kinda welds like 304... it's not Ti... I'll start on tailpipe support brackets tomorrow
I need to install more body to determine exhaust pipe length... to the same length as the previous... no use burning off more paint than necessary  :?  :roll:  :laugh:
Stainless