Author Topic: Bockscar 2.0  (Read 466623 times)

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
Re: Bockscar 2.0
« Reply #1215 on: February 24, 2022, 11:42:13 PM »
Thanks Dallas, but I think I have several jars on the shelf right now... I'm sure if Lemming John lived closer he could afford the shipping.... but he may be stocked as well  :laugh:

Grabbed one of my extra heads and got it on the head fixture... moved the header over to it... I think I'm running out of room in the warm side of the shop... I have a couple of engines on stands, one on the bench, another in the car... I may be done with the husk that is in the car fitting up parts but it is staying in there for a while.  When I get the pipes reasonably placed, then I will need the car installation to make sure the turbo flange is welded right.
At least the head/header work is now portable... and the little bench can move closer to the welder when the time comes.  My back is already thanking me for getting it to a less confined space.
Got sidetracked by life and little dogs and didn't get to town to pick up stuff for back purge... Tomorrow is another day  :lol:  :cheers:
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #1216 on: February 25, 2022, 10:14:59 AM »
" Tomorrow is another day "   "Fiddle Dee Dee, I'll think about that tomorrow!"

- Scarlett O'Hara  :-)
Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ

Offline floydjer

• "There is no duck side of the moon..."
« Reply #1217 on: February 25, 2022, 02:07:42 PM »
That is a small space ....Carry on..I have faith in ya. :cheers:
I`d never advocate drugs,alcohol,violence or insanity to anyone...But they work for me.

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
« Reply #1218 on: February 25, 2022, 10:43:25 PM »
Got the new 180 tube today...cut it in half and continued trying to make a manifold... no it is not done...  I have 3 of 4 tubes finished.... and the 4th started...  that means I'm about 25% of the way there  :?

I made it into town today, met a guy for a burger at Buster's and then gathered some parts to get a back purge setup going.  I think this will work... set torch flow, open purge ball valve slightly to increase flow by about 1/2 of torch flow.... I don't have a bunch of plugs, but Linda has a roll of foil in the kitchen...
Stainless

Offline floydjer

« Reply #1219 on: February 26, 2022, 10:26:20 AM »
Perfect! Plastic wrap and rubber bands work great for capping. And of course...Duct tape. :cheers:
I`d never advocate drugs,alcohol,violence or insanity to anyone...But they work for me.

Offline WOODY@DDLLC

• ECTA made it to AR-Kansas!
    • Design Dreams, LLC
« Reply #1220 on: February 26, 2022, 12:30:48 PM »
And if that doesn't work you're not using enough duct tape!  :-P
All models are wrong, but some are useful! G.E. Box (1967) www.designdreams.biz

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
« Reply #1221 on: February 26, 2022, 01:25:03 PM »
I was thinking the parts might get too hot for Saran Wrap...  but duct tape and safety wire are in my tool box... these are not long pipes... maybe the long one is 8-9 inches....  Still cutting...
OK, my guess is argon is heavier than air so I should put it in the bottom sealed and have a small vent hole in the top so the gas pushes the air out... Pro's feel free to furnish some tips here please...
 :cheers:
Stainless

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #1222 on: February 26, 2022, 01:35:21 PM »
I'd use aluminum foil secured with safety wire- no worries about melting plastic.
Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ

Offline Queeziryder

• Former funnybike racer now Salt crew
    • G&N Racing
« Reply #1223 on: February 26, 2022, 01:39:22 PM »
Bob,
You could always try the trick of putting the whole header inside a modified blasting cabinet, and flood the cabinet with Argon.
It's what the welder my dad employed used to do for aircraft castings that Boeing said couldn't be repaired. Boeing where astonished at what could be done.
Old enough to know better, but too interested in speed to care

Offline floydjer

« Reply #1224 on: February 26, 2022, 02:17:36 PM »
🤔Yeah...those are a bit short for plastic wrap. But yes..vent at the top will prevent the puddle from bubbling. Have at it.

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
« Reply #1225 on: February 27, 2022, 11:47:33 PM »
I think this will work... set torch flow, open purge ball valve slightly to increase flow by about 1/2 of torch flow.... I don't have a bunch of plugs, but Linda has a roll of foil in the kitchen...

Well it is the other way... set purge flow with the ball valve (8-9) then set torch flow to increase over that (27ish).  Foil is working, actually using worm clamp... would probably be prettier if I was a better welder...  :? but I see some penetration on the inside, but it is not black bubbly marbles. 

No Jerry, I'm not showing pics of my welding...
Stainless

Offline deanroberts

• New folks
« Reply #1226 on: March 01, 2022, 12:14:10 PM »
Stainless, I'm curious:

(1) Regarding tires, do you have any trouble getting the permission you need to run the front tires that you run?  Do you know how others have fared getting permission to run similar tires?

(2) Regarding your 5 gallon coolant tank, do you replace the hot coolant from one run with cooler coolant between runs?  Or does the "used" coolant cool down enough between runs that you don't need to?

Thanks!

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
« Reply #1227 on: March 01, 2022, 02:47:28 PM »
Dean, at least one other lakester runs the same tires we do.  Disclaimer.... we had one 210 mph rated tire fail at 240 mph, a second failed at the same meet at 244... although they failed differently.  the second looked like it hit something and blew out... debris was found on the track where the tire failed.  The SCTA asked about those at the next race.  I had the 247 MPH tires on the car and had no issues.  An interesting note... the driver did not know the first tire failed, heard the second one pop and put the chute out... but he thought it was the motor because it sounded like it was behind him.... didn't know it was a tire until he got out.  They are quite stiff. 
I learned the 210 mph tires needed shaved more on the sipe side after looking at the blown tires... I had not sectioned one of those till then.  The trick is removing as much rubber as you can without exposing too much fabric. 
So yes you should expect some scrutiny and questions about the tires... and possibly rechecks by tech after runs but they have a good idea of their capabilities since we have been using them for over 25 years... Get your deviation request in early.

Our 5 gallons of water rarely finds itself in a hot lap situation.  Generally when you return to the line it is 5-6 hours before you run again.... We have hot lapped, on the short course late in the week... we drain  most of our hot water,  move our cold intercooler water in the water tank, refill intercooler and you still are about 2 hours between runs.
Stainless

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
« Reply #1228 on: March 02, 2022, 12:23:45 AM »
Back to the turbo header project... it is partially welded, the turbo flange is tacked  on, enough to hang the turbo and make sure I have the angles right before it gets welded.  It appears to fit... now I have to make some pieces to weld into the big gaps.  Back purge worked well, but it was a PITA. I basically started on the #4 tube and worked my was across... as usual welding moved stuff around a little, but it all fit together in the end. I will need to make a block off plate for the flange... More to follow...
As usual it would be prettier if I was a better welder...  :roll:  with any luck it will last a couple hundred miles.... plus dyno time
Stainless

Offline sabat

« Reply #1229 on: March 02, 2022, 10:57:59 AM »
Looks good to me  :cheers: