Author Topic: Bockscar 2.0  (Read 466605 times)

Offline Queeziryder

• Former funnybike racer now Salt crew
    • G&N Racing
Re: Bockscar 2.0
« Reply #1200 on: February 20, 2022, 04:15:53 PM »
Bob,
I'm not sure if you have looked up Holeshot racing here in the UK, but the owner Jarrod "Jack" Frost has done many turbo systems over the years
https://www.holeshotracing.online/
Old enough to know better, but too interested in speed to care

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #1201 on: February 20, 2022, 10:48:55 PM »
QZY-Neil, I looked at the link and couldn't get much info other than I should send a note... I'll send a request, thanks.

Made a couple Pair Valve block offs.  I don't need to inject air into the exhaust....  although I used the setup in reverse on the Kid's 1000 bike runs to pull vacuum on the crankcase.  I threaded and put set screws in the orifices, had to leave the reed valves in, they are integral to the seal. Pic has what was replaced and replacement.

Still thumping on the exhaust... I decided to fit the outside tubes, add a couple of tacks to keep everything from moving and changing constantly.  I think I can now pull it off and try to fit tubes on the bench... we will see how this works out... I have 1 1/4 schedule 10 to play with if the .063 runs out of parts...  :-( 
Good thing it's February instead of July  :cheers:
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline floydjer

• "There is no duck side of the moon..."
« Reply #1202 on: February 21, 2022, 10:42:26 AM »
S.S....Can the turbo be rotated 90 degrees and mated to an off the shelf 4 into 1 collector?
I`d never advocate drugs,alcohol,violence or insanity to anyone...But they work for me.

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
« Reply #1203 on: February 21, 2022, 12:09:04 PM »
Jerry, you are going to have to direct me to the shelf you refer to...  :roll:  :? 
You remember we are working in a confined space... any way I go, I will need to build the pipes to get to the turbo.  I have looked at a bunch of pre-cut merge collectors and T3 turbo manufactured merge collectors... The only one that makes sense is this...
https://ipgparts.com/products/vibrant-performance-4-into-1-turbo-manifold-merge-collector-t25-t28-2-up-style
but it seems to come with its own set of problems... and I still need to make pipes to mate to it. They would all be straight cuts... easier... so it may be the ultimate solution... if this one fails... and at this stage of the game, what's another $100 plus shipping of course.  I am going to see if they have additional views of the piece... I can't seem to find any other than that view.
The saga continues  :cheers:
Stainless

Offline floydjer

« Reply #1204 on: February 21, 2022, 02:59:35 PM »
Bob..www.coneeng.com. They sell a flat 4 into 1 that would make job child's play.
I`d never advocate drugs,alcohol,violence or insanity to anyone...But they work for me.

Offline floydjer

« Reply #1205 on: February 21, 2022, 03:07:13 PM »
Or...How about a pair of 2 into 1's off the head w/ 2 90's down to the turbo.

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
« Reply #1206 on: February 23, 2022, 12:01:51 PM »
I think I should start this post with
Pay attention when using power tools... I have one of these that is battery powered... maybe I should buy more batteries.... or be more careful when I put it down before it completely stops
Stainless

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #1207 on: February 23, 2022, 12:05:17 PM »
Oh, yeah, like you're the only guy that ever did this, hey? 
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline WOODY@DDLLC

• ECTA made it to AR-Kansas!
    • Design Dreams, LLC
« Reply #1208 on: February 23, 2022, 12:38:25 PM »
The auto shut-off works!  :clap
Or did the auto cord winder fail?  :?
All models are wrong, but some are useful! G.E. Box (1967) www.designdreams.biz

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #1209 on: February 23, 2022, 01:03:41 PM »
Pay attention when using power tools... I have one of these that is battery powered... maybe I should buy more batteries.... or be more careful when I put it down before it completely stops

"...put it down before it completely stops"  Yep, a good way to cut divots in your workbench.
Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ

Offline floydjer

« Reply #1210 on: February 23, 2022, 04:14:14 PM »
Amatuer....I had one snag and launch it's self across the room and into the quarter panel of a customer's '40 Ford .

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
« Reply #1211 on: February 23, 2022, 05:41:02 PM »
It was actually the sparks and blown ground fault that tipped me off...  :dhorse:
I suspect the repaired and taped up section of the cord will remind me to pay better attention... the guard usually keeps it from being an issue  :?
 :cheers:
Stainless

Offline Lemming Motors

« Reply #1212 on: February 24, 2022, 11:21:46 AM »
The last time I did that was at night - the garage suddenly went very dark and I stood very very still waiting for everything to go silent before making any move lest the beast reawaken and have at me.
A Bonneville Lakester please barman.
Certainly sir; a lick of salt, a sip of gas and a twist of Lemming. More Lemming sir?
Just a squeeze.

A Squeeze of Lemming it is sir.

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
« Reply #1213 on: February 24, 2022, 12:23:43 PM »
John, it takes a 200 amp short to make the shop go dark... the walls and lights are on separate circuits.... so every wall has its own CB as well as ground fault.  Luckily no blood was drawn and no jolts were issued during my careless adventure... part of which I blame on the cold stiff cord that flopped into a loop when I put the cutter down.... I was working in the unheated part of the shop.

I'm figuring out my back purge set up while I wait for another u-bend to show up... when you cut off a tube enough times all the sudden it is too short  :?
I have 3 of 4 ready and could weld those pipes to their spigots but not to each other when my purge set up is ready.  The spigots rotate in the exhaust flange so I can rotate the pipes to help fit the pieces.  Yes I cut the tack between the outside pipes... to help fit the center tubes. I will probably mount a head in my head fixture and then attach all of this to it.  The location in relation to the engine and car has been established so I don't need to work in the confined space of the engine bay. 
Headed to town to see if I can locate a tee and valve, plus some other pieces in a few.
 :cheers:
Stainless

Offline DallasV

« Reply #1214 on: February 24, 2022, 06:29:34 PM »

I think I have one more jar of Lucas replacement smoke I could send if you pay for shipping.
Records or parts, I didn't come all this way not to break something.