Author Topic: Bockscar 2.0  (Read 466633 times)

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
Re: Bockscar 2.0
« Reply #1185 on: January 26, 2022, 10:13:54 PM »
How long does an engine swap take when switching classes?? (Not including breaks to maintain proper hydration level )

Anywhere from 3 weeks to 10 months  :?  :laugh: depending when I decide to swap...
To be honest Jerry, I'm not George and I don't have a 19 man crew...  I do not want to swap motors at Bonneville again... we did that a long time ago when we were young... well, younger.... we set 4 records at a World of Speed one year with 2 different motors... the glass mountain trophies are on the shelf at Marty's... not even thinking of doing that again... I might swap drivers and fuel class, but salty motor swaps are not in my future... just my past  :friday
I am thinking of switching to either J blown or G fuel after Speedweek, provided I get the 1liter blown in the car for SpeedWeek.  That means it has to survive the dyno... oh, same goes for the others.  I usually just dyno enough to get the tune right... I try not to kill them...  The HP number I get gives me a good guess for capable speed but...
the big white is always the final answer.  :cheers:
« Last Edit: January 26, 2022, 10:15:44 PM by Stainless1 »
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline sabat

« Reply #1186 on: January 27, 2022, 08:31:49 AM »
Great stuff as always SS. Hope to see you on the salt this summer.

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
« Reply #1187 on: January 30, 2022, 10:44:41 PM »
Dean, hope to see you on the salt... planning to race SpeedWeek?  :cheers:
Man, what an exercise in frustration... building the chain guard was a bear.  Here's the issue, 2 of the attach points are doweled to the motor, the third isn't doweled but it has to line up and ended up being  the end of the guard.  I have 17, 18 and 19 sprockets for the 3/4 liter.  The 17 has lots of room, the 18 is tight to the third mount, but has enough clearance that it should not be a problem.  The 19 is the one that caused several design changes.  No clearance when the guard is between the mount and the sprocket so the guard had to terminate at the side of that mount... but high enough that the chain won't pile up on the mount.
Did I mention nothing stays straight when you weld it  :x
But I have the motor side done.  I will have a little to bend and a mount hole for the other end where it will connect to the other chain guard.  We do want to protect the fuel lines from a chain break.  OK every chain issue we've had just left it on the bottom pan of the car, but you never know and safety is the driver here.
This is what I ended up with...
Stainless

Offline salt27

« Reply #1188 on: January 30, 2022, 11:06:12 PM »
Looks good to me.    :cheers:

I had a 21 tooth made for our bike, looks like plenty of clearance, but there aint, I think I'll be ordering a 20.   :roll:

Don

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
« Reply #1189 on: February 07, 2022, 03:09:39 PM »
Yep Don, I had plenty of room until that big piece of chain got added to the area.... amazing how much of it sticks out of a sprocket  :roll:  :laugh:
I just bought a new turbo for the 750 and possibly for the 1 liter as well.  It is a GTX2863R Garrett... on sale at Turbokits.com.  Good folks to work with... yea had to trade in most of a social security check... but had enough left over for beer...  :-D
Pictures to follow when it arrives.
Deni has the intakes done, started working the exhaust.... then called and asked if this month meant sometime in the next 21 days.... hot requirement had walked through the door...
Looks like I moved back into the line, but I know Deni is good at deadlines...  :cheers:
Stainless

Offline Koncretekid

« Reply #1190 on: February 08, 2022, 10:54:06 AM »
Stainless,

Is there any reason why the guard can't wrap around the outside of the spacers to give you more clearance?  Would also allow even the spacers to be relieved for further clearance as they would be welded to the guard for integrity.

Tom
We get too soon oldt, and too late schmart!
Life's uncertain - eat dessert first!

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
« Reply #1191 on: February 08, 2022, 11:09:13 AM »
Tom, yes I would get .080 more clearance but my worry was that the mount would become a stop for the chain to bunch up on and cause greater damage.  It is a balancing act, protect fuel lines and motor parts trying to keep the oil in the motor during chain failure and guiding the loose chain toward the bottom of the car
Stainless

Offline Koncretekid

« Reply #1192 on: February 08, 2022, 02:54:48 PM »
No question about the damage a broken chain can do. This one, the primary, blew out thru the case into my fairing.

Tom
We get too soon oldt, and too late schmart!
Life's uncertain - eat dessert first!

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
« Reply #1193 on: February 08, 2022, 09:34:36 PM »
Ouch!!! That looks a little ugly... and yep we had a chain take out a clutch push rod and seal.... the problem is the entire motor comes apart to change the seal.... Had another get the water pump...
These days I am trying to use the best chains available... something in the order of 10000 to 11000 lb tensile... that doesn't keep them from breaking.... but I don't try to make them last past 1 season... they never do anyway.  :?
Stainless

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
« Reply #1194 on: February 19, 2022, 12:10:26 PM »
No I haven't given up... like most of you I am working on the lakester almost every day...  :-o
Lately it has been the upcoming 3/4 liter motor while I wait for the head for the 1 liter. 

1 liter update, Deni decided the exhaust valves needed new guides... she mentioned that the last time, but at first thought they were OK... well when it got down to the nut seat cutting they needed replaced.  Quick order to APE Raceparts and less than a week later a partially sponsored set arrived and I delivered them yesterday.  Deni is still hoping to deliver by the end of the month, but I said I could tolerate early March.... since we has some parts delays... of course those allowed for other customers to get in. 

3/4 liter... I had to order valve shims... although I had at least 80-100 in my kit, as usual you never have the right size or enough of the right size... So I ordered a 3 each size kit from the internet as well as kit refills for 6 sizes that I knew I needed... Now I have 300+ shims in the 7.48mm size... I got all the valves adjusted and then started degreeing the cams.  Almost got the intake cam adjustable gear on in the right place... I think you can see it was not quite lined up straight when I pressed it on... missed by a little less than a 1/16... but that one is set and there's a couple of degrees of adjustment left.  Yes I could press it off and back on, but since it adjusted to the right spot I'm good with it.   

So.... whatcha been doing while you were waiting on parts besides selecting cams, figuring out shims, researching turbos.... well looking at turbo manifolds of course... not many good options out there, but before I go too crazy, I have been trying to build one.... yes it is harder than you think and I know why they are expensive to have one custom built...
 :cheers:
Stainless

Offline Rex Schimmer

• Only time and money prevent completion!
« Reply #1195 on: February 19, 2022, 04:57:40 PM »
Bob,
As you are finding out building an exhaust manifold is always a challenge and out of stainless steel for a turbo is really a pain in the a$$. Having helped on several for both sports cars and an Indy car a couple of suggestions. Material: 321 stainless is probably the best for a turbo manifold as it has very high heat corrosion resistance, and I would think that the thicker the better, probably .062 minimum.
Welding: You really need to be able to back purge these welds to provide the best weld strength. Design: One thought is to use a log style header which is somewhat easier to fab and probably as good as separate tubes going into a collector. Using a log design lends itself to using forged stainless pipe, which is thick, 1/8 inch or more, and available in several different stainless alloys. The standard Turbo Offy exhaust manifold was a "log" design and they ran over 120 inches of boost, also the new Mercedes F1 engines originally had the log type exhaust manifolds.

Rex
« Last Edit: February 19, 2022, 04:59:12 PM by Rex Schimmer »
Rex

Not much matters and the rest doesn't matter at all.

Offline floydjer

• "There is no duck side of the moon..."
« Reply #1196 on: February 19, 2022, 05:18:45 PM »
 :clap El Kabong returned!!
I`d never advocate drugs,alcohol,violence or insanity to anyone...But they work for me.

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
« Reply #1197 on: February 20, 2022, 11:30:39 AM »
Well Jerry he never really quit working.... I see him as an advocate for change... always involved in gentle persuasion  :roll:  :laugh:

Yes Rex, exhaust manifold building is quite painful... I haven't given up yet, but as luck would have it my federal and state income tax return refunds just hit the bank... I filed way back on the 15th  :-o so 5 days later the bank tells me payments pending on the 22nd and 24th... that means there is racing cash waiting to become a turbo exhaust manifold if I decide it's too painful.  But I have watched a couple of videos that contained some helpful ideas.  That and searching the net has turned up some merge collectors that puts the me at less than a dollar an hour for my unfinished attempt... plus materials  :?   I guess if I was running the Indy 500 or building for the F1 series I would seek out 321... but it seems to be fairly rare and expensive.  I need to get 200 miles out of my 304... about 1/4 of that as dyno miles... maybe more. I guess I'll run a cost analysis in the middle of the night and make a decision on what to do.  cromag or just have a beer and admit there are things best left to the trained professionals.  :friday
Of course that is not going to happen today... back to the shop  :cheers:
Stainless

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #1198 on: February 20, 2022, 11:43:36 AM »
Well Jerry he never really quit working.... I see him as an advocate for change... always involved in gentle persuasion  :roll:  :laugh:

Yes Rex, exhaust manifold building is quite painful... I haven't given up yet, but as luck would have it my federal and state income tax return refunds just hit the bank... I filed way back on the 15th  :-o so 5 days later the bank tells me payments pending on the 22nd and 24th... that means there is racing cash waiting to become a turbo exhaust manifold if I decide it's too painful.  But I have watched a couple of videos that contained some helpful ideas.  That and searching the net has turned up some merge collectors that puts the me at less than a dollar an hour for my unfinished attempt... plus materials  :?   I guess if I was running the Indy 500 or building for the F1 series I would seek out 321... but it seems to be fairly rare and expensive.  I need to get 200 miles out of my 304... about 1/4 of that as dyno miles... maybe more. I guess I'll run a cost analysis in the middle of the night and make a decision on what to do.  cromag or just have a beer and admit there are things best left to the trained professionals.  :friday
Of course that is not going to happen today... back to the shop  :cheers:

Too bad you're not running a SBC, Bob. I have a set of used Inconel headers that I'm probably not going to use.
Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
« Reply #1199 on: February 20, 2022, 03:12:44 PM »
Yea Neil, there are hundreds of options for turbo headers for SBC... I don't have room to put one in the car.... won't fit between the frame rails... yes as a gag we put a Keith Black in the old car and sent it to the SCTA, told them we were running AA... about 20 years ago... They said no....
But I digress... I think there are 2 guys out there that build a GSXR 1000 header...  it will fit the 750 but they are designed to clear front wheel and radiator, so not exactly what I want or need.  One of them said he could build whatever I wanted...  so I have options... well option  :-(
Stainless