Author Topic: Bockscar 2.0  (Read 466522 times)

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
Re: Bockscar 2.0
« Reply #1155 on: December 28, 2021, 06:35:03 PM »
Jack... I think the valve angle is about 22 degrees... that's by memory from setting up the "example" piston that I sent to Woosner 5 years ago... so don't quote me on that.... definitely not hemi headed...
I looked up your Guzzi... I think you have 0 valve angle and yep no chamber in the head.... but a hell of a dish on those pistons....
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
« Reply #1156 on: January 06, 2022, 10:37:03 PM »
Between the snow shoveling, trying a new whiskey or two and having some good beer I managed to to throw together a light weight 45 ci (750) motor to use as a mockup.  I have it in the car.... need a little tweeking but it seems it is going to fit in there with plenty of room to spare.  Time to start making mounts.  Yes this is all prep for the next chapter, but I currently have a little time to work on that. 
The SpeedWeek plan is still running 1 liter blown... of course the dyno work could change that depending on motor longevity....
I'm still waiting on my Team APE sponsorship to kick in, so the head is waiting on parts.
No I can't change them as fast as George's team... I will attack one at a time.... Yep still have the G motor, that's waiting on John and John... will put the H blown back together, but waiting for Curt Huntoon, Car 717, to give me a number to shoot at. 
Got to keep busy in the off season...
Stainless

Offline Rex Schimmer

• Only time and money prevent completion!
« Reply #1157 on: January 06, 2022, 10:53:15 PM »
Bob,
Speaking of GSXR 750 cc engines I have one, complete, 2002 that I bought from Sumner about 10 years ago when I was working on building a complete car. The price is CHEAP!

Rex
Rex

Not much matters and the rest doesn't matter at all.

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
« Reply #1158 on: January 10, 2022, 10:23:28 PM »
Rex... are we talking bottle of Jameson cheap or... I only have 3 or 4... I kinda lost count... I do know the oversize valves run a little too close to stock pistons according to my clay work... that's one reason the N/A motor was on the bench for what seemed like forever....

The shell motor got head gaskets today to space the head for motor mounts... the 4 rear mounts are done, with only 1 that may need to be redone depending on how I decide to do the air filter.  I could leave one of the 6 out... after all everyone keeps reminding me that top fuel dragsters use a couple of hose clamps to hold the motor.
Here are the back 4, I finished one of the fronts today but it was a little too hot to throw in for a pic... I'll get it and the other side tomorrow... maybe....
Stainless

Offline floydjer

• "There is no duck side of the moon..."
« Reply #1159 on: January 11, 2022, 09:21:28 AM »
Looks great Bob.
I`d never advocate drugs,alcohol,violence or insanity to anyone...But they work for me.

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
« Reply #1160 on: January 11, 2022, 10:24:37 PM »
Here's the last 2.... then pulled all of them to paint... well at least one side...  I'll get them painted, then put back on to check that the motor stays aligned
Stainless

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
« Reply #1161 on: January 11, 2022, 10:47:08 PM »
Wondering about that alignment thing??? Yea me too...
Part of my Gates sponsorship put a belt alignment tool in my box....
It is magnetic which works on the drive side... however the driven is still aluminum so I kinda have to hold it in place.  And there's all the obstruction metal from the swingarm in the way.  :?
All the mounts are installed and it seems it is pretty good... I will check it again when I put the mounts back on to ensure repeatability. 
I also plan to check the 1 liter when I put it back in... I hope it shows as good of an alignment.... but we will see...
This is a laser that reflects back on the mirror to show you how close the alignment is.... Yes it is a little off... about 10-15 thou moves it one hash mark....
I'm calling this one close enough for now  :cheers:
Stainless

Offline salt27

« Reply #1162 on: January 12, 2022, 01:59:36 AM »
Stainless, is that a zink based paint you are using?

Don

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
« Reply #1163 on: January 12, 2022, 10:22:36 AM »
Rustoleum self-etching primer... it seems to stick pretty well to bare metal... of course it was all sandblasted before welding so that probably helps the grip. 
It seems to be good when Canodizing metal  :roll:  :cheers:
« Last Edit: January 12, 2022, 10:24:25 AM by Stainless1 »
Stainless

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
« Reply #1164 on: January 16, 2022, 11:01:40 PM »
OK, black paint on the motor mounts is in its 3rd day of curing... I mention that because someone might notice the motor is turned sideways in the pictures coming up.... so they are not installed.

Its been really windy around here the last couple of days... that got me thinking I need something on the 3/4 liter motor to keep the hat from blowing off.  So for the last couple of days I've been working that direction.  Unfortunately there were no bolts directly under and in line with the Throttle Bodies like the Hayabusa motor has...  so I had to improvise a little. 
The motor mount on the left side of the head gets a piggyback and a bridge to the rear head mount boss.
The right side I needed to build another bridge using the little head mount bolts.  I think the 1/8 inch x 1'ish aluminum strap will be up to the task.
Taking the 1 liter head to the head shed Monday with any luck... Deni has been off because the boss's wife was sick... with something... I will get parts ordered as soon as I know what Deni thinks I need.  Already have new springs and Ti retainers on the parts list... probably ordering Inconel exhaust and new intakes but will let Deni make that call.  I have time to get stuff shipped in, I'm on  the schedule for end of Feb completion... if everybody stays healthy
Stainless

Offline floydjer

« Reply #1165 on: January 17, 2022, 05:55:09 PM »
That looks good as well Bob. :friday
I`d never advocate drugs,alcohol,violence or insanity to anyone...But they work for me.

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
« Reply #1166 on: January 18, 2022, 12:05:54 AM »
It's all prep for the future Jerry... got to do something to keep me deserving a good beer at the end of the day...
Dan Haugh was in Wichita today and took me to lunch at his favorite BBQ spot.  Dan runs a Saab in G/CBFALT (car 9275).  He gave me a copy of 9s, the North American Saab Club Magazine... yep that's his car on the cover.  Seems like lots of folks from middle America are into LSR.  It may be hard to see in the pic, but his race car has an antique plate.... LAND JET  :-)  Dan saw my truck at the Blue Flame 50+1 and tracked me down... we have been discussing some of the issues his project has.  He lives in Lawrence, about 2.5 hours away... but he lived in Wichita when he worked for Boeing and with Beech... back in the day  8-)  We have similar aviation interests so lots to talk about.
Stainless

Offline aircap

« Reply #1167 on: January 18, 2022, 12:14:04 AM »
Which BBQ was that? We have several here in Doodah.
"Act your age, not your shoe size". - Prince

Offline floydjer

« Reply #1168 on: January 18, 2022, 07:43:08 AM »
Dan seems like a fine person. ( I have owned four SAAB 's over the years, including two 900 SPG's)

Offline WOODY@DDLLC

• ECTA made it to AR-Kansas!
    • Design Dreams, LLC
« Reply #1169 on: January 18, 2022, 10:04:01 AM »
Ya never know where a land speed nut will show up next!  :-o
Front cover - way to go Dan!  :cheers: :cheers:
All models are wrong, but some are useful! G.E. Box (1967) www.designdreams.biz