Author Topic: Bockscar 2.0  (Read 466595 times)

Offline floydjer

• "There is no duck side of the moon..."
Re: Bockscar 2.0
« Reply #1140 on: November 25, 2021, 09:21:16 PM »
Intakes do look like they are retaining heat rather than transferring it into the seat/head...🤔 Maybe widen the margins on the valves and seats? How are the spring pressures? And, Is there any air flow past the head?
I`d never advocate drugs,alcohol,violence or insanity to anyone...But they work for me.

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
« Reply #1141 on: November 25, 2021, 09:44:28 PM »
. . . OR . . .

are you seeing enough oil flow to that side of the head to draw away the heat?

If oil is collecting and raining in on the exhaust side, might it be pooling on the exhaust side at the expense of the intake side? 

"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline Koncretekid

« Reply #1142 on: November 26, 2021, 07:41:15 AM »
Do you have O2 sensors in each of the exhaust pipes?  Just seems there may be a different A/F ratio in the cylinders shown to the right compared to those on the left. 

Tom
We get too soon oldt, and too late schmart!
Life's uncertain - eat dessert first!

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #1143 on: November 26, 2021, 06:54:39 PM »
Intakes do look like they are retaining heat rather than transferring it into the seat/head...🤔 Maybe widen the margins on the valves and seats? How are the spring pressures? And, Is there any air flow past the head?

Well I think they have plenty of seat width, Deni is not a RCH wide seat fan... he usually does about a 1/16 wide seat area... But it's not like they spend a lot of time on the seat at 11-12K RPM.
The springs are the 65lb heavy duty aftermarket ones... stock are 45... they all checked good before I installed them after the head was repaired... maybe 70 miles ago. 
And no, there is probably no air moving around the head... water temp runs up to 195

. . . OR . . .
are you seeing enough oil flow to that side of the head to draw away the heat?
If oil is collecting and raining in on the exhaust side, might it be pooling on the exhaust side at the expense of the intake side? 

Well there seems to be oil collected in all the bucket wells... but I've only run one of these engines with the valve cover off... oil slings 2 feet in every direction  :?

Do you have O2 sensors in each of the exhaust pipes?  Just seems there may be a different A/F ratio in the cylinders shown to the right compared to those on the left. 

Tom

Tom, I do not have EGT or O2 in individual runners ahead of the turbo...

I wish I'd taken pictures of the head when it was off to lap a several valves after we ran E85, but I don't remember anything odd.  But I know it ran fairly lean since the injectors maxed out at about 9500 RPM....
Here's a blow up of the valves 4 and 3 (I hope)
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
« Reply #1144 on: November 26, 2021, 06:56:04 PM »
then 2 and 1
Stainless

Offline floydjer

« Reply #1145 on: November 26, 2021, 07:25:39 PM »
Water temp?  I need to get out more. 🤔
I`d never advocate drugs,alcohol,violence or insanity to anyone...But they work for me.

Offline floydjer

« Reply #1146 on: November 26, 2021, 07:44:37 PM »
🤔...Even at 12K, Per cycle the valves are on the seats 3x's more than off them.... :dhorse: :cheers:

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
« Reply #1147 on: November 26, 2021, 11:27:24 PM »
You are close Jerry, well kinda close... by my calculations every cycle the valve in off the seat for .00372 seconds and on it for .00627 seconds... or 268 degrees open and 452 closed... so a bit under twice as long...
But who's counting  :cheers:
All that fuel flowing over them should remove all lot more heat than all that time sitting on the seat... the exhaust valves get 15 degrees more seat time but I think they rely quite a bit on the overlap for cooling as well.
I still think the blue is fuel stain... but... the head is not apart yet... was lazy today and went to Rob's World of Beer to catch some Black Friday Beers, all imperial stouts... then worked on a water leak I discovered in the basement when I took the beer down to put it into the beer cellar
« Last Edit: November 26, 2021, 11:29:31 PM by Stainless1 »
Stainless

Offline floydjer

« Reply #1148 on: November 27, 2021, 12:25:52 PM »
🤔...Hmm....4 strokes per cycle...each pair of valves opens once on each intake and exhaust stroke, so...Piston at tdc,intake valve opens .piston travels down to bdc, valve closes, piston travels up to tdc,cylinder fires and piston travels back to bdc, Exhaust valve opens,piston heads back towards tdc on exhaust stroke. 4 strokes and 3 of them the intake was on the seat..Bah..who' s counting? :dhorse: :cheers: Water cooled eh? Cooling system pressurized to avoid air pockets?? And...Do I see a quench area where the combustion chamber meets the block? Wonder if you could relieve that area back closer to the bore size? Maybe un-shroud  the bore side of the valves a bit? And I have no idea why those valves are blue...maybe they need a hug. Carry on, JB😃
« Last Edit: November 27, 2021, 08:30:39 PM by floydjer »

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
« Reply #1149 on: November 28, 2021, 05:51:37 PM »
 :?  268 degrees open and 452 closed... it is a race motor, not a model t or a Briggs...  The intake is actually open during parts of 3 of those cycles...

It is water cooled and pressurized as it gets hotter... not pre-pressurized... And I would hate to 2nd guess Suzuki on the cylinder head design... they seem to be pretty good out of the box... although this one has had oversize valves and flows a bit better than stock. 
I'm stickin' with the stain...
Stainless

Offline floydjer

« Reply #1150 on: November 28, 2021, 06:08:53 PM »
No kidding??  Compression or power stroke? 1drink😀 I'll give ya the ex./int. overlap at tdc....My guess is Suzuki spent about 50x's my net worth developing that head...With my luck, about the time I went after that quench area with a die grinder I would learn that is the bottom of a water jacket. Carry on, JB :cheers: :cheers:
« Last Edit: November 28, 2021, 07:57:41 PM by floydjer »

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
« Reply #1151 on: December 26, 2021, 12:17:13 PM »
No movement on the head yet, meaning it is still sitting in the shop.  I applied and believe I have been accepted back into Team APE for sponsorship.  If you look at pics of the original Bockscar you will see a Team APE sticker on the side... their sponsorship basically gets you motorcycle racing parts at wholesale dealer cost... so I'm holding back a bit before I buy a set of Inconel exhaust valves...
That does not mean I've been sitting around watching Its a Wonderful Life and eating Bon Bons....
I've had a 3/4 liter motor, mostly built, on the bench for the last two years... it was a NA gas motor... then I realized that the best I can do HP-wise on that one is about 10-15 less than the late models have leaving the factory... so I took it apart, swapped in Woosner turbo pistons and Crower rods I had and started getting it back together.... swapped in sounds so easy doesn't it.... so much easier than gapping rings measuring and fitting bearings...
The ported head with oversize stainless valves goes on today with any luck.  I'll try to snap a pic or 2 before he head goes on.
Stainless

Offline Rex Schimmer

• Only time and money prevent completion!
« Reply #1152 on: December 26, 2021, 03:29:20 PM »
Bob,
I really have to agree with your comment about early vs later model motors. Our lump is based upon an early 2000 Kawasaki engine and only through the knowledge and abilities of our motor builders, Engine Dynamics, are we able to have a  competitive motor. Duke and I were looking through some of the late model stuff in the 1000 cc size and all of them are making 200+ hp stock! I am pretty sure that once our last rebuild is done we probably could have bought a 2020+ BMW, which are making 220+hp and it would have been close to the same cost. That is not including all of the electronics required to run the late model stuff. I guess we will have to look at that again after next year.

Rex
Rex

Not much matters and the rest doesn't matter at all.

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
« Reply #1153 on: December 26, 2021, 09:00:33 PM »
Rex, the motor that set the record you are chasing was a 1989 zx10 that we upgraded to ZX11 barrels to set my H fuel record...
Yep I've looked at that BMW 1000rr motor a lot, they are quite proud of the wrecks and car kits on ebay.
Here's the pics of the pistons and head... hope I never get to show off the rods...  :?
Got busy doing other things so head is still on the bench... That's why there is a tomorrow.... for the stuff you thought you might do before life interfered... I guess it's a good thing we don't race every weekend  :roll:
Stainless

Offline Jack Gifford

« Reply #1154 on: December 27, 2021, 12:09:32 AM »
Hmm...
Those four valve chambers are getting to be almost flat. Perhaps the Herron-head [non]chambers on my old Guzzi two-valve will soon be in vogue... :roll:
M/T Pontiac hemi guru
F/BFL 1-mile Loring record 2020