Author Topic: SpeedWeek 2017 - the event!  (Read 360743 times)

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
Re: SpeedWeek 2017 - the event!
« Reply #30 on: August 10, 2017, 11:52:48 PM »
You didn't gp far enough down the pits to see the rest of 'em.  We put 'em in four locations, but the pits are so long ----
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline TrickyDicky

« Reply #31 on: August 11, 2017, 05:24:40 AM »
Are 9 miles enough for a Burkland appearance or is 11 miles still his minimum?

GW

My understanding is that he needs about 6 miles to reach 500 mph.  Therefore, a symmetrical track with the timed mile in the middle (for a two-way record) would be 13 miles.

Maybe 11 miles would be enough to break a current SCTA record.  But 9 miles seems a bit short.

Bolivia anyone?

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
« Reply #32 on: August 11, 2017, 09:36:46 AM »
Good morning, girls and boys.  It's Friday - the big opening day, the land rush, the day everyone shows up.

Unh, did someone forget to set the alarm clock?  Where is everyone?  We drove through Land's End at about 6.45 - and the wait was longer 'cause we handed Lynda a box of donuts - not waiting for traffic.  WTF?

Okay - the courses aren't great, dang it, but - they're the only ones we're going to have in a long while, it looks, so get your junk out here and race it.

Other stuff:  The "reserved" front row pit area isn't reserved now.  Yes, SCTA has a gold class level of support - and those racers/teams/groups get the opportunity to sit i the front row in exchange for some extra bucks.  They also get their names/products/whatever mentioned on the radio now and then.  As for other reserved front row pits -- the roped-off area was also reserved for volunteer workers as a perk for doing the work.  Volunteers get early inspection, in their pits if possible, of the vehicles.

But now - the ropes are down and there's about a half-mile of prime location available as I type.First come, first pitted, just like always.  And it's Friday morning so lots of you will have the chance to grab that good spot.

The access road is dry.  When Nancy and I drove in Tuesday afternoon it was wet for a mile or more --now it's not, so that's good.  I have not been out on the courses today so cannot give any comments today.  Yesterday I described it out there as "rough as a cob", and Scott Guthrie asked -- "Yes, but is the cob buttered?"  I don't think I'll pursue that line of inquiry just now.

Catch ya later -- gotta set up the audio stuff.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
« Reply #33 on: August 11, 2017, 01:04:57 PM »

« Last Edit: August 11, 2017, 01:25:04 PM by Seldom Seen Slim »
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #34 on: August 11, 2017, 01:18:21 PM »
ssssoooooo Slim are you setting up a Ham emergency site in case NKCK North Korea Crazy Kim punches DT's button  :?
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
« Reply #35 on: August 11, 2017, 01:25:55 PM »
The 2 meter rig in the truck, just in case.  Remember, if you hear the sirens, sit down with your head between your knees and kiss your azz goodbye.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2017, 03:42:32 PM by Seldom Seen Slim »
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
« Reply #36 on: August 11, 2017, 03:44:12 PM »
Here's the link that'll take you to the audio stream whenever we get it going.  If you follow the link now you'll probably see the stuff leftover from Loring, but we'll be there soon.  Working on getting the intranet going so I can link to the 'net - maybe later,maybe in the morning.

https://www.meridix.com/channel/?liveid=Landracing#/
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline thefrenchowl

« Reply #37 on: August 11, 2017, 05:07:26 PM »
I really wish you all good luck for this Speed Week from the depth of Great Britain,

Go for it, boys!!!

Patrick
Flat Head Forever

...What exactly are we trying to do here?...

Offline wheelrdealer

• D/CBGALT
    • WHEELRDEALER RACING
« Reply #38 on: August 11, 2017, 05:57:22 PM »
Wishing you all great speeds and safe racing from the Southeast. May no record be safe this week.

A special Thank you to all of the SCTA Volunteers that make Speedweek possible.

I guess I am a "live stream racer" this week!

BR
ECTA    Maxton D/CGALT  Record Holder 167.522
ECTA    Maxton D/CBGALT Record Holder 166.715

WWW.WHEELRDEALER2100.COM

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
« Reply #39 on: August 11, 2017, 07:03:58 PM »
Gee, who woulda thunk that a computer left on "sleep" for a year would need updates?  I'll get the streaming going yet  Stay tuned - of course you will.  We're gonna head off the salt and get to the motel and see if the hot tub hurts the new phone.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline 4-barrel Mike

• Any fool can drive a V8
Mike Kelly - PROUD owner of the V4F that powered the #1931 VGC to a 82.803 mph record in 2008!

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
« Reply #41 on: August 11, 2017, 11:05:13 PM »
Smart aZZ. 8-)
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline 4-barrel Mike

• Any fool can drive a V8
« Reply #42 on: August 11, 2017, 11:33:39 PM »
You noticed that it's snow-proof too?    :evil:

Mike
Mike Kelly - PROUD owner of the V4F that powered the #1931 VGC to a 82.803 mph record in 2008!

Offline Avanti Kid

• 2006 Member of Bonneville 200 MPH Club
« Reply #43 on: August 12, 2017, 11:11:05 AM »
I was there last year but this year with some health issues I will be a live stream guy too, sure pray for a safe and great event this year, have fun you racers. Take care, Dave  :cheers:
Original owner of 1963 Avanti; Age 84
2006 Bonneville 200 MPH Club Member
Canyon Country, CA
215.6 mph 289 CI Studebaker engine

Offline Avanti Kid

• 2006 Member of Bonneville 200 MPH Club
« Reply #44 on: August 12, 2017, 11:35:04 AM »
My Land Speed racing career of 23 years ended in November of 2016 at El Mirage Dry Lake where I made my last run, so at age 78 I decided to find a good home for my Avanti that I bought new in 1963 from Jerry Keys of Keys Motors in Van Nuys.  I contacted the Studebaker National Foundation to see if they would want to own my racing Avanti, they jumped for the chance so I donated it too them, also I got my race car professional appraised so I  can have a deduction off my income tax, got that accomplished too, then the Foundation contacted me that a car museum called "World of Speed" located at Wilsonville, Oregon (just south of Portland of hwy 5) wanted to have my car there on loan for 2 years. So with the foundations directions Mike Benbennick and myself towed my race car last May to the museum and met the folks there, it is a very nice car museum that has been in business for 2 years, they have NASCAR, drag cars, muscle cars and Land Speed cars in their very nice facility. So my car is in the Land Speed racing section near Mickey Thompson 4 engine streamliner. The foundation promised me to never sell my car and will always move it around the USA to other car museums and long after I have left this world my car will still be shown to the public, what a neat way to end my racing and I have been so lucky to have met so many great people in racing and made my goal by getting into the Bonneville 200 MPH Club and there is no other feeling on earth than getting in your car then pulling down the visor on your helmet and looking down the salt course, then feeling the push truck moving you forward, then at around 40 mph you let the clutch out and apply 800 hp of turbo Studebaker power, then watch the mile makers fly by and at just after the 5th mile deploy you chute and feel a negative 1.2 Gs of stopping power, that is a special feeling that I will never forget, take care and God Bless and stay safe,  Dave Bloomberg "Avanti Kid Racing"
« Last Edit: August 12, 2017, 01:23:06 PM by Avanti Kid »
Original owner of 1963 Avanti; Age 84
2006 Bonneville 200 MPH Club Member
Canyon Country, CA
215.6 mph 289 CI Studebaker engine