Author Topic: SpeedWeek 2017 - the event!  (Read 360806 times)

Offline TugBoat123

Re: SpeedWeek 2017 - the event!
« Reply #225 on: August 20, 2017, 09:36:04 PM »
Wow Ron! Congratulations to you and your son. That sounds like a dream. Father and son 200 club members. How cool. Sliding sideways at 209+ MPH must have been crazy. Wednesday, my car slid sideways over to the right side of the short track, but managed to stay mostly straight. I think I might have been going over 100 when it happened. I regained control and managed to get my best run in (162.601), but it was still a bit of a scare. Nothing like the excitement that you went through, though. We are going to have to go nearly 260 to set a record in our class (D/GL). It will be years before we can even dream of attempting it. What do you plan on doing for next year? Any big changes to the car? I'm going to look for some pictures of your car.
   I would have liked to meet Al Teague. I wish I knew he was there.

Offline ronnieroadster

« Reply #226 on: August 20, 2017, 10:17:24 PM »
Wow Ron! Congratulations to you and your son. That sounds like a dream. Father and son 200 club members. How cool. Sliding sideways at 209+ MPH must have been crazy. Wednesday, my car slid sideways over to the right side of the short track, but managed to stay mostly straight. I think I might have been going over 100 when it happened. I regained control and managed to get my best run in (162.601), but it was still a bit of a scare. Nothing like the excitement that you went through, though. We are going to have to go nearly 260 to set a record in our class (D/GL). It will be years before we can even dream of attempting it. What do you plan on doing for next year? Any big changes to the car? I'm going to look for some pictures of your car.
   I would have liked to meet Al Teague. I wish I knew he was there.

On our long drive back home my son and I talked about what the plan will be for next year.  Since we feel the engine was not even working hard a gear change is certainly in order. This was the seventh year working the car and vintage engine combinations it takes time and lots of patience for sure. At the 200 MPH banquet Wednesday evening Al Teague was there I was so happy to meet one of my all time heroes and get a picture taken with him. Another important part of our success was Sid who spent many years helping Al.  Sid has so much knowledge its a pleasure knowing him and learning from him.
   Ron
« Last Edit: August 20, 2017, 10:20:54 PM by ronnieroadster »
Working in the shop I use the 'F' word a lot. No not that word these words Focus and Finish go Fast and Flathead Ford!
 ECTA  XF/BGRMR Record 179.8561
 LTA    XF/BGRMR  Record 200.921 First  Ever Ford Flathead Roadster to hit 200 MPH burning gasoline July 2018
 SCTA  XF/BGRMR Record 205.744  First gas burning Ford flathead powered roadster to top 200 MPH at Bonneville August 7, 2021 top speed 219.717
 SCTA  XXF/BGRMR Record 216.131 plus a Red Hat
"Life Member of the Bonneville 200 MPH Club"

Offline AJR192

« Reply #227 on: August 20, 2017, 10:19:12 PM »
I wish I had known Al was there too. But, the fact of the matter is that he is so humble, he does not announce his presence the way most others in his position do. How many Black Hat holders do you see not wearing their hat????? The man is class...... One of my heroes ever since I went to Bonneville for the first time sooo long ago.

Offline kiwi belly tank

« Reply #228 on: August 21, 2017, 10:59:19 AM »
That was only his 3rd time on the salt since his last pass in Betsy but he'll be be there again when my liner runs, probably next year.
  Sid.

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #229 on: August 21, 2017, 12:02:07 PM »
We were a lot younger then.---LOL  sent by a recuperating body after a good day in the shop.---Good morning Alieve   
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline Rex Schimmer

• Only time and money prevent completion!
« Reply #230 on: August 21, 2017, 02:37:25 PM »
Sorry to hear that the Bockscar got up side down, any info on the condition? Glade to hear John Boy is OK.

Woody, loved your pictures but you didn't stop by our pits, missed seeing you but thanks for the aero suggestions regarding the rear of our car as I think it was the exact right approach.

Rex
Rex

Not much matters and the rest doesn't matter at all.

Offline Speed Limit 1000

« Reply #231 on: August 21, 2017, 03:54:14 PM »
Rex your car looks great. We have been planing on a new lakester for a few years. Now we have to get it done. I feel ok just beat up around the upper arms and ribs. Maybe we can get the Abarth Zagato together for next year.

John
John Gowetski, red hat @ 221.183 MPH MSA Lakester, Bockscar #1000 60 ci normally aspirated w/N20

Offline racergeo

« Reply #232 on: August 21, 2017, 04:32:31 PM »
  I rode my bike out on the salt on the 3 courses (long) at the 5 mile. Had to get off and push it back to the pits.(back Pain) I declared dogmatically that no one would exceed 300. It was so ruff I couldn't keep my feet on the pedals. So the first car on the track runs 420 something. WTF. Then Danny Thompson does him one better. I think I'm in some kind of alternate reality. The next morning I was amazed That Poteet ran even faster(blowing his "A" engine as a result). It broke my heart that Danny blew on his back up. I saw cars bounce off the salt getting on the throttle just off the ruff starting line, which they moved down a mile the next day. I saw a tire roll a couple mile down the salt, many spins and a couple crashes. The people that had success, for the most part really knew what they were doing. The Fallieres, not so much. If you were going after a Seth Hammon record, no track, not even for him. He left his car in town. I looked at several new cars that were built to the highest quality. Many were ingenuous.

Great thing about LSR, all the classes. If you can't afford to race against Marlo, George, Danny and others find a class you think you can afford. Even the Summers Bros. had to hold down jobs, even with all the backing they had, so there are just amateurs in this hobby. Trophy and a red hat, that's all. Some are rich and some are down right poor. But your success is defined by the same thing, a record at Bonneville.

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #233 on: August 21, 2017, 05:11:27 PM »
That right we are brothers and sisters in desire---records, hats, Recognition---whatever no matter how you get there--- we have our hearts set on getting it done---get that record--most of us live for that moment we are aware ----we succeeded---- most from a very long journey!!  Here's to that feeling!!
« Last Edit: August 21, 2017, 11:48:15 PM by SPARKY »
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #234 on: August 21, 2017, 07:28:00 PM »
Great post , Racer!
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline Buickguy3

« Reply #235 on: August 22, 2017, 09:05:09 AM »
   I know this isn't representative of anybody else' experience, but it may give some indication of how "unsuspended" cars reacted on the long course. The car slipped and slid around until I got past third gear. I can usually get into fourth gear by the one mile, but even short shifting I didn't get there until about the three. Once in fifth it seemed to settle down. Enjoy the ride.
    Doug  :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MXLmRteIBIs
I keep going faster and faster and I don't know why. All I have to do is live and die.
                   [America]

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
« Reply #236 on: August 22, 2017, 09:51:22 AM »
Maybe we can get the Abarth Zagato together for next year.

John

YES 

If Tom can get his 1 liter SAAB up and running, that would bring 4 cars running I/GT.

This could turn into a Derringer Shoot-out.
"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline kiwi belly tank

« Reply #237 on: August 22, 2017, 12:28:18 PM »
   I know this isn't representative of anybody else' experience, but it may give some indication of how "unsuspended" cars reacted on the long course. The car slipped and slid around until I got past third gear. I can usually get into fourth gear by the one mile, but even short shifting I didn't get there until about the three. Once in fifth it seemed to settle down. Enjoy the ride.
    Doug  :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MXLmRteIBIs

Thanks for posting this Doug, I think this is a good representation of everybody else's experience on the Bonneville Goat Track this year. Pushing Burton's liner was extremely spooky while it crashed through the potholes on the push bar & twice I saw it totally in the air right after he left me.
  Sid.

Offline Cereal KLR

« Reply #238 on: August 22, 2017, 12:35:44 PM »
Wow. I guess that`s the elephant in the room as we start BMST this Saturday. That is not a surface for motorcycles. Yes I do realize that other areas might be better than others, but can they be worked over in four days?
I thought I would die young, but now its too late.

Offline Rex Schimmer

• Only time and money prevent completion!
« Reply #239 on: August 22, 2017, 02:03:56 PM »
That is a rough ride! Leaping from one bump to the next, my friend , Ray Forressi, has a Stude pickup with a big GMC 6 in it that has solid suspension and he describes his runs very similar to your video.

I heard a rumor that Seth Hammond is possible putting his lakester up for sale as he does not think the salt will ever be good again. Anybody heard this?

Rex
Rex

Not much matters and the rest doesn't matter at all.