Author Topic: Wind Tunnel Testing for Bonneville  (Read 45476 times)

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
Re: Wind Tunnel Testing for Bonneville
« Reply #60 on: June 22, 2017, 12:12:15 PM »
Well if we are going to have class consolidation I prefer to not contaminate Special Construction by bringing in Mod Roadsters.

It makes a lot more sense to just have a Mod Roadster class--- you choose to put the driver and eng where ever you want to between the axles---that way there will be enough protests to keep everybody in line
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline thundersalt

• www.americanrvservicecenter.com
« Reply #61 on: June 22, 2017, 12:31:12 PM »
"I formally nominate Eddie Umland for Roadster Committee Chairperson An intelligent, level headed and well spoken racer who can help the sport No lol here, I am serious.

DW"
 :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

But he could use a hair cut :evil: :-D

916 REMR
2017 AA/FRMR Bonneville Record holder 234.663
2018 AA/GRMR El Mirage Record holder 223.108
2020 AA/BGRMR Bonneville Record holder 252.438
2021 AA/BGRMR Bonneville Record holder 262.685
El Mirage 200 MPH Club
Drivers/Owners: Brian & Celia Dean

Offline krusty

« Reply #62 on: June 22, 2017, 03:54:23 PM »
I'm with Dan, Willi, and Brian. He needs to be on the Committee. Enough said, I don't need to get buried in politics (man, I miss Tony P. on here).

vic

Offline Eddieschopshop

« Reply #63 on: June 22, 2017, 04:54:03 PM »
The only thing I am qualified to do is stir the pot!   I only think I know the RMR records since I have now built 2 well 3 if you include Cole Cutlers Chassis,  but I only did the frame on that car. 

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #64 on: June 22, 2017, 07:14:38 PM »
I'm the official pot-stirrer, no matter the roadster class!  I've worked hard at it and don't kneed (sp-ok) some long-haired, Northern California liberal, who "knows the record" (but does he know the rules?) newbie trying to take the chair.  Apparently he got scared about RMRs and went and built a streamliner.  How can the roadster guys trust a guy like that!

Stan
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline Dynoroom

• Global Moderator
« Reply #65 on: June 22, 2017, 08:53:53 PM »
Actually Mike, the class was born from the fertile mind of the late Ron Benham After a few years of back and forth I lost that battle and now we see what the class has mutated to Darn Ron passed away too soon to see what he had brought forth.

DW

Oh, I remember where REMR came from, just like AIR, It came from a need for more chances to set a record or win El Mirage championships.

We have enough classes!!!

Should we talk about "M" at El Mirage?  :dhorse: :dhorse: :dhorse:
Michael LeFevers
Kugel and LeFevers Pontiac Firebird

Without Data You're Just Another Guy With An Opinion!

Racing is just a series of "Problem Solving" events that allow you to spend money & make noise...

Offline thundersalt

« Reply #66 on: June 22, 2017, 09:04:29 PM »
All this REMR bashing I'm starting to get a complex  :-D
916 REMR
El Mirage 200 MPH Club

Offline Eddieschopshop

« Reply #67 on: June 22, 2017, 09:41:24 PM »
I was bashing Comp coupes today also... maybe I should start a new thread.

Offline dw230

« Reply #68 on: June 23, 2017, 12:18:11 PM »
Oh - Comp Coupes

Ron had an answer for that one too. Super Coupe - anything goes. Let your imagination wander.

How about one class, anything, wide open, fastest wins. One trophy available.

DW

White Goose Bar - Where LSR is a lifestyle
Alcohol - because no good story starts with a salad.

Don't be Karen, be Beth

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #69 on: June 23, 2017, 01:02:13 PM »
Yeah -- kinda like the class Ed Shadle and Richard Noble and Roscoe and those guys are in.  One class, anything goes, one trophy.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline dw230

« Reply #70 on: June 23, 2017, 02:19:17 PM »
I missed class consolidation as Sparky mentions at the top of this page. I can tell you that when REMR class was discussed I asked if consolidation was an option. OMG - the out cry from the standard mod roadster guys was a +11 on the volume knob. The perceived problem was that all mod roadster records would fall to the rear engine guys. A quick scan of the rule book shows this to be false. In fact, some mod roadster records are held by high boy roadsters in comparative classes.

Go figure. You guys are on your own now, I agree with flowbench - too many classes. If you need a record or points championship build to the existing rules, don't lobby for a new class. Fuel pickup trucks - blah.

DW

White Goose Bar - Where LSR is a lifestyle
Alcohol - because no good story starts with a salad.

Don't be Karen, be Beth

Offline thundersalt

« Reply #71 on: June 23, 2017, 02:51:42 PM »
xx/CFC, xx/CBFC
916 REMR
El Mirage 200 MPH Club

Offline Bob Drury

« Reply #72 on: June 23, 2017, 03:09:31 PM »
  Dodge, this argument... er discussion has been great to follow and as a friendly reminder (as I often do) to support This site with cash!
  For any of You newbies following this thread, Jon Amo founded this site about 15 (?) years ago as a place to discuss Rules, Racing, and Everything right and wrong about LSR... at least in the eyes of any and all beholders.  After way too many of Us "cocktail posters" and one Ratliff started raising hell and discontent Jon took a well deserved time out (and so did this Site).
  Enter one Seldom Seen Slim (King of the Porta-Potties) who apparently was sick and tired of killing mosquito's (?) in Northern Michigan and whose wonderfull Wife was tired of His constant pawing around the place (if You get My drift...).
  The result Has given All of Us a well needed Arena to discuss everything LSR.  Before this site was born there was literally No way to find out fact's or rumors or rule changes until the New Rule Books arrived... unless You belonged to a SCTA member Club or knew someone "in the know".
  As long as all of Us are respectful to each other this Site will continue to flourish and keep valid discussion alive.
                                                                                         "One Run" Bob Drury
  p.s.  and once again a special salute to the man who loves to confuse us with "the" Rule Book and whom is the only SCTA official to have  (for better or worse) listened to all of Our whining and bitching and tried His best to answer any and all questions.  Hats off to Dan Warner!
« Last Edit: June 23, 2017, 03:13:15 PM by Bob Drury »
Bob Drury

Offline Eddieschopshop

« Reply #73 on: June 23, 2017, 03:26:25 PM »
A super couple class is exactly what I needed when I first was looking for something to build.  Because I wanted to use a transaxle it limited my options.  But we do have an option for no rules fastest wins,  its basically the Hot Rod trophy.  Fastest single pass of the week regardless of class or lack of class as is fitting to some. 

I can't see any inherent advantage in rear or front modified roadster,  but that ship has sailed.  The rear modifieds will continue to bump their records.  as we all know it does take time to build and then dial in a car to its true potential.  It will take a few years,  but it has been a great for new blood to start. 

I am just going to build bikes from now on  talk about too many classes. 

To keep the rules/aero discussion alive..  If you can't tape door gaps how can you have a fiberglass repop without any door or window gaps?  Coupe or roadster for that matter.  There are 3 or 4 Topolino type coupes which are all repop drag racing bodies with no gaps,  no door handle recesses etc.  None of the characteristics that would be on an "exact replica"..  I could go all day with this.

Offline desotoman

« Reply #74 on: June 23, 2017, 03:43:21 PM »
What about Compressed Air class - C/AIR. A displacement change can make for a maybe competitive non-Chevy powered roadster.

DW

As I recall a rule change was submitted to expand the class a couple of engine sizes, but did not pass. I am fine with the way it is.

For the record, I personally think it's an absolute abomination what some RMR guys have been allowed to get away with.  

I agree. Just like NHRA Funny Cars, don't look like anything you can buy at a car dealer.

Looking at the roadster in your pic it looks every bit as much like a lakester as any RMR.   Are you the kettle or the pot?

I was not referring to the length of the cars, I am talking about the actual body. Some, not all of the REMR's, put so many add ons to the original body that you cannot tell it is a roadster body. That is where the 65% rule came from. IMO it is a case of pushing the limit way to far.

The modified roadster you see in my avatar was built over 20 years ago and I guarantee you can tell it is a 27 ford T body from the firewall back. The car was built by Mel Swain who builds cars for a living and this was his personal car.

I missed class consolidation as Sparky mentions at the top of this page. I can tell you that when REMR class was discussed I asked if consolidation was an option. OMG - the out cry from the standard mod roadster guys was a +11 on the volume knob. The perceived problem was that all mod roadster records would fall to the rear engine guys. A quick scan of the rule book shows this to be false. In fact, some mod roadster records are held by high boy roadsters in comparative classes.

Go figure. You guys are on your own now, I agree with flowbench - too many classes. If you need a record or points championship build to the existing rules, don't lobby for a new class. Fuel pickup trucks - blah.

DW

I am not in favor of combining classes. IMO REMR's do have an advantage, but that is for another topic.

I agree we have enough classes, we don't need anymore or any less, the classes should be frozen in place. But with human nature the way it is there will always be controversy and opinions on how many classes we have and how many we need.

Tom G.

I love the USA. How much longer will we be a free nation?

Asking questions is one's only way of getting answers.

The rational person lets verified facts form or modify his opinion.  The ideologue ignores verified facts which don't fit his preconceived opinions.