Author Topic: Wind Tunnel Testing for Bonneville  (Read 45474 times)

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
Re: Wind Tunnel Testing for Bonneville
« Reply #45 on: June 21, 2017, 11:42:40 AM »
lol
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline salt

• EMD2CLM - B2CLM
« Reply #46 on: June 21, 2017, 12:44:22 PM »
My streamliner ran in the RMR class . . .

Willi
Kraut Bros.
Who Has More Fun?

Offline jl222

« Reply #47 on: June 21, 2017, 01:07:40 PM »
My streamliner ran in the RMR class . . .

Willi
Kraut Bros.

:roll: :-D

JL222

Offline ronnieroadster

« Reply #48 on: June 21, 2017, 03:06:34 PM »
There's a class for that -- it's called Time Only.

Most humans enjoy a little recognition for their efforts.  Having your name in the Rule Book for a year can be satisfying.

If they get the name right when its being put in the book!
Working in the shop I use the 'F' word a lot. No not that word these words Focus and Finish go Fast and Flathead Ford!
 ECTA  XF/BGRMR Record 179.8561
 LTA    XF/BGRMR  Record 200.921 First  Ever Ford Flathead Roadster to hit 200 MPH burning gasoline July 2018
 SCTA  XF/BGRMR Record 205.744  First gas burning Ford flathead powered roadster to top 200 MPH at Bonneville August 7, 2021 top speed 219.717
 SCTA  XXF/BGRMR Record 216.131 plus a Red Hat
"Life Member of the Bonneville 200 MPH Club"

Offline desotoman

« Reply #49 on: June 21, 2017, 03:55:23 PM »
I don't think that a different engine should "legalize" a competitor in the Category one competes in.

Well said Stan.

" when did it become rude to question someone instead of it being rude for them to cheat?" .......Yes, and deciding to protest a fellow competitor is not an easy desision. Some of you know I did this years ago to a "famous" competitor, got villified on his website forum, and was the all around A$$hole and bad guy for doing nothing wrong. For this reason I will probably never protest again.

PS. I won the protest

Always protest if you have a valid reason.

For the record, I personally think it's an absolute abomination what some RMR guys have been allowed to get away with.  IMO RMR's are the scurge of the roadster class.  I actually personally don't care about RMR's.  They can all go race each other in their pseudo-laksters with roadster quarters panels and I'll stick with real roadsters.  Now don't get me wrong - some RMR's are more legit than others but there's simply too many that are so far out to lunch that it's not even worth caring about any more.

But it's nice to see a passionate and active conversation on the forum again.   :-D

I agree. Just like NHRA Funny Cars, don't look like anything you can buy at a car dealer.

I just dug out my 1986 Rule Book, not counting the front and rear cover, has a total of 80 pages.

The new 2017 Rule Book, not counting the front or rear cover, has a total of 264 pages.  Just comparing.

I am waiting for the vintage/vintage Roadster Classes. Where I can run a VH engine class motor. VH = Early Hemi 1958 and before. Ha Ha Ha, it will never happen.

Tom G.
I love the USA. How much longer will we be a free nation?

Asking questions is one's only way of getting answers.

The rational person lets verified facts form or modify his opinion.  The ideologue ignores verified facts which don't fit his preconceived opinions.

Offline dw230

« Reply #50 on: June 21, 2017, 06:53:56 PM »
What about Compressed Air class - C/AIR. A displacement change can make for a maybe competitive non-Chevy powered roadster.

DW
White Goose Bar - Where LSR is a lifestyle
Alcohol - because no good story starts with a salad.

Don't be Karen, be Beth

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #51 on: June 21, 2017, 07:01:29 PM »
Yeah!!!  That vintage C/AIR has been a rousing success. 

Who in the flock thought of that! 

It's great seeing those nailheads, Y-blocks, early Oldses, Packards, Cadillacs, Lincolns, DeSotos, Studies, & AMCs showing up!

It's only coincidental that not one of them has ever shown up!
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline interested bystander

« Reply #52 on: June 22, 2017, 12:54:44 AM »
Nor has an International like Archie's.
5 mph in pit area (clothed)

Offline Eddieschopshop

« Reply #53 on: June 22, 2017, 09:54:55 AM »

For the record, I personally think it's an absolute abomination what some RMR guys have been allowed to get away with.  
[/quote]

I agree. Just like NHRA Funny Cars, don't look like anything you can buy at a car dealer.

[/quote]

Looking at the roadster in your pic it looks every bit as much like a lakester as any RMR.   Are you the kettle or the pot?
« Last Edit: June 22, 2017, 09:57:02 AM by Eddieschopshop »

Offline dw230

« Reply #54 on: June 22, 2017, 10:38:50 AM »
Couple of comments

Stan,
Because there is a lack of C/AIR entries does not mean they are not being built. The class originator claims there are thousands of roadsters that will soon be competitive. As you know building takes time I know one gentleman with 17+ years of fab time spent.

I formally nominate Eddie Umland for Roadster Committee Chairperson An intelligent, level headed and well spoken racer who can help the sport No lol here, I am serious.

DW

Don't be Karen, be Beth

Offline salt

• EMD2CLM - B2CLM
« Reply #55 on: June 22, 2017, 10:47:37 AM »
I'll second Ed's nomination, Dan.

Willi
Kraut Bros.
Who Has More Fun?

Offline tauruck

« Reply #56 on: June 22, 2017, 10:48:44 AM »
Couple of comments

Stan,
Because there is a lack of C/AIR entries does not mean they are not being built. The class originator claims there are thousands of roadsters that will soon be competitive. As you know building takes time I know one gentleman with 17+ years of fab time spent.

I formally nominate Eddie Umland for Roadster Committee Chairperson An intelligent, level headed and well spoken racer who can help the sport No lol here, I am serious.

DW
I WON'T LAST 17 YEARS!!!! :cheers:

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #57 on: June 22, 2017, 11:07:11 AM »
"The class originator claims there are thousands of roadsters that will soon be competitive."

I think he insinuated that they were waiting at the gate back then.  I always thought the gate was open.  There was no reason they couldn't enter then, except for those that had out-dated roadsters, safety-wise.

In 2006 there were 9 C/Gas Roadsters pre-entered at Bonneville.  I guess to keep at least 8 of them happy, the SCTA should have split the class between dark and light colors or cam manufacturers or just give participation trophies just to not hurt anyone's feelings.  (Wait, they sorta do that any way, don't they?)

Stan
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline Dynoroom

• Global Moderator
« Reply #58 on: June 22, 2017, 11:42:54 AM »
Right Stan....... That's where the REMR class came from!!  :dhorse:
Michael LeFevers
Kugel and LeFevers Pontiac Firebird

Without Data You're Just Another Guy With An Opinion!

Racing is just a series of "Problem Solving" events that allow you to spend money & make noise...

Offline dw230

« Reply #59 on: June 22, 2017, 12:05:54 PM »
Actually Mike, the class was born from the fertile mind of the late Ron Benham After a few years of back and forth I lost that battle and now we see what the class has mutated to Darn Ron passed away too soon to see what he had brought forth.

DW

Don't be Karen, be Beth