Author Topic: Looking for a ride  (Read 19291 times)

Offline jcg1021

• New folks
Looking for a ride
« on: June 05, 2017, 10:56:47 AM »
I have driven cars in the past but never a land speed racer. Always been a goal to join the 200MPH club, set a record (if possible) and say I have done it at Bonneville. I grew up in SLC so that may be part of the reason why.

Before I go and purchase a car and modify etc.  I wanted to see if anyone has seen or heard of an arrive and drive option for Speedweek at Bonneville.

If you have any info, please let know.

Chris

Offline Peter Jack

Re: Looking for a ride
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2017, 11:59:54 AM »
Why post the same request three times. You'll only annoy us instead of accomplishing what you want.

Pete

Offline Eddieschopshop

« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2017, 01:09:20 PM »
Arrive and drive goes against everything that is the spirit of Bonneville.  Start with the 130  club.  Make the commitment spend the money,  build the car,  TRY and get in the 2 club. 

Offline dw230

« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2017, 01:27:05 PM »
This may change your plans. To join the 200 MPH club you MUST set a record in  your class. This goal could be as high as 400+ MPH.

Good luck,
Dan Warner
President
Bonneville 200 MPH Club
White Goose Bar - Where LSR is a lifestyle
Alcohol - because no good story starts with a salad.

Don't be Karen, be Beth

Offline jcg1021

• New folks
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2017, 02:03:57 PM »
Thank you sir, I appreciate the info.

The goal would be to do both and have fun doing it at the same time.

Offline JR'S PAPA

« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2017, 03:37:21 PM »
I did some jogging in high school and always wanted to run a 4 minute mile and get a gold medal at the Olympics. Does anyone know where I can borrow some track shoes and some shorts? Geez! 
Been there, seen that! And now I can say I participate, with my kid and his kid, J.R...........

Offline jcg1021

• New folks
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2017, 04:22:06 PM »
Wow, didn't realize I was treading on the hallowed ground of "if you cant build yourself and spend 10x what it cost to buy" you have no place on the salt.

Arrive and drive is not a new concept at all in racing especially for those who want experiences in multiple series or unique cars/tracks. I have done it before and will do it again.  You basically cover any damage, compensate the owner for tech support and the ride. In fact, many pro series offer this. For someone like myself its actually the best way to do it. Done it before and will do it again.

It is no different than buying a car already ready to go. For example, maybe one of the ones for sale in the forum below for example or on racking junk etc. Didn't realize all participants had to build a frame car to run must have missed that in the rules.

It was just a question or request for someone who was considering selling or had a car they wanted to run and was interested in making a some money along the way.

Offline RCKirby

« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2017, 04:30:59 PM »
Holy Cow that's funny and I don't care who you are!!!!

In order to set a record in the 200mph Club, in say...the AA Blown Fuel Streamliner Class...one would have to go over 400mph.  So much for buying a vehicle, modifying it and giving her hell!!

I'd try buying a red hat at Wal-mart and walking by people real fast so that they think I'm in the club...or better yet I'll just stick to just shooting video of the people who really are!!

RCKirby

Offline Dynoroom

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2017, 04:37:43 PM »
We could be the great community everyone always talks about & teach jcg1021 about the sport.
Things like no, if you go over 200 mph you are not in the 2 club. You are required to set a record over 200 mph.
Buying a ride is frowned upon BUT it's not illegal, etc.
 :cheers:
Michael LeFevers
Kugel and LeFevers Pontiac Firebird

Without Data You're Just Another Guy With An Opinion!

Racing is just a series of "Problem Solving" events that allow you to spend money & make noise...

Offline RCKirby

« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2017, 05:06:36 PM »
Come on...you have to admit that telling someone that to become a member of the 200mph Club one must go over 400mph IS pretty funny!

RCKirby

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2017, 05:59:10 PM »
Mike's right, of course.

But, a couple of years ago, I told a super-funded driver that breaking the 246 record would not get him a hat.  This was in the second or third day of helicopter-accompanied running that got nowhere near the record.  I explained to him that the minimum in that class for the club was 290.

Sometimes it's good to do a little research before you commit yourself.

Stan Back
« Last Edit: June 05, 2017, 06:00:50 PM by Stan Back »
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline ggl205

• G/FL 218.282 since 1995. G/FL record since 1993.
« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2017, 06:52:56 PM »
I guess I am one of those guys that thinks a competitor should build or at least be a substantial part of a build seeking the 200 mph club. That said, I have witnessed many, many times where drivers who's only participation was writing the check and driving. There are one or two arrive and drives in the 300 mph chapter as well. Each situation is a little different and justification varies widely.

John

Offline Podunk

« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2017, 08:51:30 PM »
Chris,
One really great thing about Bonneville is, do it your way.  There has got to be a lot of builders out there with potential 200+ cars that need $ome help getting them done. Look around the pits. How many have one guy there? It's the people that contribute their part to accomplish a goal and the friends that are made.
Terry

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2017, 10:03:56 PM »
Chris, there are folks that sell rides, and folks that earn rides.... oh, and everybody wants to be in the 200 MPH club... I always tell folks it's easy.... all you have to do is go faster in your class than anyone has since 1953.... and exceed 200 or the club minimum set for classes. 

Yes some of us get a little testy and protective of the sport... but if you spend enough time around us we are not such a bad lot.

What do you think a ride is worth.... what do you think a 200MPH record ride is worth... do you have the cost of a car to put up, in case you manage to wreck it.... it's not exactly like driving on asphalt or a prepped drag strip. 

If you search this site, you will find a guy that rents rides... don't have a clue what he charges, or if he is still in business.
Good luck with your quest   :cheers:
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline tauruck

« Reply #14 on: June 05, 2017, 10:19:19 PM »
And I thought you guys were COOL??????!!!!!. :-D :-D :-D :-D

I guess buying a ride IS like renting a hooker. It just isn't the same. :mrgreen: