Author Topic: line in the salt  (Read 15478 times)

Offline Bob Drury

Re: line in the salt
« Reply #30 on: December 20, 2006, 11:23:31 PM »
What would be great is for each of you "old timers" to write a brief story about your experiences on the salt and the dry lakes, and then have someone with a bit of literary skill (wheres that Slim when you need him?) put it into book form.  That would be a book worth owning.  Maybe Dolan could even do his in English.......... :roll:
Bob Drury

Offline Nortonist 592

• http://www.artfv.com/design/fashion/
« Reply #31 on: December 21, 2006, 12:25:25 AM »
It would be great if a forum such as this coulod have a spot where racers could tell their stories and have them preserved for future generations.  Something on the line of the AHRF preservation of photos etc.  There is a lot of history out there that should be preserved. 
Get off the stove Grandad.  You're too old to be riding the range.

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
Re: lines about the salt
« Reply #32 on: December 21, 2006, 03:02:07 AM »
English is out of the question to start.
Maybe in a later translation / printing.
For now it would have to be Merican.

Relax, I am just pulling your cane.
"I would rather lose going fast enough to win than win going slow enough to lose."
"That horrible smell is dirty feet being held to the fire"

Offline hotrod

• Black Horse photo
« Reply #33 on: December 22, 2006, 08:46:30 AM »
What would be great is for each of you "old timers" to write a brief story about your experiences on the salt and the dry lakes, and then have someone with a bit of literary skill (wheres that Slim when you need him?) put it into book form.

Several of the WWII veterans groups are encouraging the same sort of thing for the same reason. You don't need anything special or fancy, just sit down with a tape recorder or a vidio cam and  tell racer stories to an interested observer. Once the info is captured, it can be dressed up later. Even if you just stick the tapes in a safedeposit box with a note that they go to the SCTA for historical preservation that would be good too!

Larry

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
« Reply #34 on: December 22, 2006, 09:33:54 AM »
Sadely, so many of those old timers with so much important history have passed.
We tried that once with the San Diego Roadster Club (formed in 1937) and had the editor of Street Rodder magazine conduct a circle discussion one afternoon in the SD Auto Museum.
You heard stories that you never heard before with the real players and that you would never hear again.
Unfortunately, the Club was in the hands of some youngsters that had little appreciation for it and the tape project never went anywhere.
I am just a kid at 60 but those things are very important to at least me.
Having been around them from my beginnings, I learned a lot more from them than they could imagine.
At a meeting recently at an elders house (91) I had heard he just got a pacemaker with all the usual jokes attached.
One of my most cherished possessions is a get well card to me signed by SDRC members old and young but his really stood out.
When we saw each other their were no suitable words between us and we just hugged and cried.
I know it scared many of the "KIDS" but screwem.  LOL
"I would rather lose going fast enough to win than win going slow enough to lose."

Offline Bob Drury

« Reply #35 on: December 22, 2006, 07:26:00 PM »
Maybe someone at the next SCTA meeting could bring up the idea of a official historian with the idea of approaching the racers who were running before l980 to tell there stories.  Wasn't Jim Miller doing something?
Bob Drury

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #36 on: December 22, 2006, 07:41:12 PM »
Bob
This has been discussed so many times in the past I lost count. I am the Gear Grinder club historian and it's a lot of work to compile information. I have many notes, pictures programs etc going back to the early 40s on the club. I have only statred to try putting something together for the club members. Over the years so much was lost, thrown out and just forgotten. Our club  started in 1938. We now have over 150 members. The same with SDRC, the SideWinders and Road Runners, all very old and active clubs.

It would take volumns of books to do it, I wish it would be done as well. Gary Cagle and I set down one day and decided we should do something. His racing back ground was a great story but he died before he could start writing things down. I just finished a seven part bio on myself with Bill Hoddinott for Bonneville Racing News. While doing it each conversation opened up long forgotten things over the years.

Wouldn't it be wonderful if SCTA/BNI had a museum and archives of this period of lakes and Bonneville history for all to share. How about you ,how many years have you been LSR racing or other venues of racing. It all has to start some where.

Have a great Christmas :-D

Glen
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline Bob Drury

« Reply #37 on: December 22, 2006, 10:09:51 PM »
Glen, I am not trying to pass the buck here, but I think it needs to be done by someone who knows or at least is familiar with those subjects and their history.  Living up here in the damp, the cast of hero's is a little shy, however one could write a entire book on the life and times of Marlo Treit, although some of it might have to be censored.  Besides that, his Canuck sense of humor means that 17% (or whatever the current
exchange rate might be) is out and out b.s.  He leaves Canadian change for tips...........
It would be interesting to sit Marlo and Dolan at the same table to play poker.  Get the shovels ready with plenty of backups............ :wink:.
Bob Drury

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
« Reply #38 on: December 22, 2006, 10:24:38 PM »
HYSTERICAL  FACTOID
Marlo is a member of the SDRC and has been for many years.
We are a gang.
His P.O. made him go to the ST. Omnipokipsis  Monastery for rehab.
He stole the bus.
It didn't work out.
Does that explain anything ?

Offline Dynoroom

• Global Moderator
« Reply #39 on: December 23, 2006, 12:49:44 AM »
  Maybe Dolan could even do his in English.......... :roll:

Guess not.....     :roll:     :wink:
Michael LeFevers
Kugel and LeFevers Pontiac Firebird

Without Data You're Just Another Guy With An Opinion!

Racing is just a series of "Problem Solving" events that allow you to spend money & make noise...

Offline Richard Thomason

• http://www.dannyboystreamliner.com
« Reply #40 on: December 23, 2006, 04:36:02 PM »
Ask Marlo about his top hat!

Offline Freud

« Reply #41 on: December 24, 2006, 02:08:13 PM »
The top hat added elegance at his wedding years ago.

FREUD
Since '63

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
« Reply #42 on: December 24, 2006, 08:56:01 PM »
The top hat added elegance at his wedding years ago.

FREUD

Marlo was a biker and needed the help.
He still does. LOL