Author Topic: line in the salt  (Read 15480 times)

Offline jimmy six

line in the salt
« Reply #15 on: October 21, 2006, 08:23:33 PM »
Yea! Yea! Yea! Streamliners, Lakesters, Roadsters, Comp Coupes...

No Parts Wash...

No Street cars at all. ie: Street roadsters, Gas Coues. and ug Sports cars....It's 1949 all over again....

AND NO BIKES.....They were not even invited until 1951, just 10 of them and they had to be on their best behavior to be invited back too....

Your dreamin......racego....but I like your style.

PS: John R's Honda is a race car...You can't buy his engine in a Civic...
First GMC 6 powered Fuel roadster over 200, with 2 red hats. Pit crew for Patrick Tone's Super Stock #49 Camaro

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
OH BY THE WAY
« Reply #16 on: October 21, 2006, 09:30:27 PM »
Exclusive CAR and MC meets have been conducted for years as the demand required
 and just because an individual was not invited doesn't mean that it didn't happen. :wink:
"I would rather lose going fast enough to win than win going slow enough to lose."
"That horrible smell is dirty feet being held to the fire"

Offline tomsmith

times change
« Reply #17 on: October 21, 2006, 11:01:39 PM »
The good old days were fun, but so are the current days.  The 50's are gone and won't come back.  The vacuum tube computer I started with in 1959 is also gone, and that I don't want it back either.  It cost $3.5 million and was a .083MHz machine (12 microsec cycle time) as compared to my 2.8GHz PC, which cost about $2 thousand and is 33,600 times faster, depending on how many cycles are required for typical instructions.  Most other things have improved too- I am particularly happy with new skin graft techniques, which I hope I won't ever use.

By the way, the board I reclined on was a real ironing board, not a cheap imitation - see avatar.
139mph with no bike, but with speedo and helmet.

dwarner

line in the salt
« Reply #18 on: October 21, 2006, 11:56:27 PM »
She also has her facts wrong. Where is this guy's second post?

DW

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
Re: line in the salt
« Reply #19 on: October 22, 2006, 12:31:52 AM »
[quote="racergeo" She nails it.

The finger material she left on the top of the nail indicates that. :wink:
"I would rather lose going fast enough to win than win going slow enough to lose."

Offline bbb

• Aerodynamically Challenged
  • JorNic Motorsports
    • JorNic Motorsports, Charlottesville, Va.
line in the salt
« Reply #20 on: October 22, 2006, 04:09:11 PM »
when you can get some of those "Hot Rods" running as fast as some of the motorcycles, I might be willing to listen.

simple minds make for simple matters.

Online Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
line in the salt
« Reply #21 on: October 22, 2006, 10:27:27 PM »
Landspeed Who?
Oh her, is she trying to sell another book.
I would rather gather the opinions of the racers...

Wait a minute, maybe you already did that, see previous posts on this subject.

Anyway, Welcome to the site.  We need people interested in the sport.
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Super Kaz

Re: times change
« Reply #22 on: October 23, 2006, 01:27:27 AM »
Quote from: tomsmith
The good old days were fun, but so are the current days.  The 50's are gone and won't come back.  The vacuum tube computer I started with in 1959 is also gone, and that I don't want it back either.  It cost $3.5 million and was a .083MHz machine (12 microsec cycle time) as compared to my 2.8GHz PC, which cost about $2 thousand and is 33,600 times faster, depending on how many cycles are required for typical instructions.  Most other things have improved too- I am particularly happy with new skin graft techniques, which I hope I won't ever use.

By the way, the board I reclined on was a real ironing board, not a cheap imitation - see avatar.

you are my Hero as I tried that Position racing John Noonan 'on my XR-100',and it's Not easy on the Nard's! :shock: Jon A. might still have a pic or 2 :oops: .

Offline Tom Bryant

• http://www.bryantauto.com
Line in the Salt
« Reply #23 on: November 25, 2006, 01:04:46 PM »
Since I have been involved in this sport for more than a few years I suppose I should speak to the question...Having been there in both venues, I like what we now have. I felt comfortable in my "borax solution dipped coveralls" because I didn't know any better. Today I wear a Carbon X $1200 fire suit. I don't feel that much different, but I know I am safer.

It's the same with the cars we run. In the past, we made a lot of our own parts and did our own welding (whether qualified or not), today most of our parts are commercially produced. It is an expensive game to play, but if we have an accident, except in rare cases, we live to play another day.

When I started this game there were seventy class advertised, I haven't  a clue as to how many we have today, but if you have something that is self-propelled and meets our safety standards, there is probably a class for you. That's a good thing!

A phrase from a Roger Miller song comes to mind..."Rumble seats and running boards, those were the good ole days." Really those were just the old days, they weren't so good. You can't turn the clock back, except  as in Daylight Savings Time. Progress requires change. I don't think that many of us want to return to what our sport was in the fifties & sixties. The problem with our recollections of the past is that we filter out the unpleasant things and remember the positive.

I appreciate the support that Louise gives to LSR, although I suspect it is primarily self-serving. She certainly is not the one I would go to for advice on how our sport should progress.
I don't understand..."It won't work!"

Tom, Redding CA - #216 D/CC
 - LSR since 1955 - www.bryantauto.com

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
Re: line on the salt
« Reply #24 on: December 19, 2006, 12:15:34 AM »
She also has her facts wrong. Where is this guy's second post?

DW

It seems she missed a few things and chose to dwell on the same song.
LSL continues in the November issue of the SCTA racing News just as confused as ever.
I can't tell if she is doing a commercial or a stand up routine.

Offline Richard Thomason

• http://www.dannyboystreamliner.com
« Reply #25 on: December 20, 2006, 07:57:34 PM »
Old days and new days are fun. That's why we are here. It's great to see old friends and new friends. Let's go fast and break every record out there. Hopefully, the sanctioning bodies won't change the rules faster than we can up the speeds.

dwarner

« Reply #26 on: December 20, 2006, 09:05:02 PM »
Keith Turk said it very well a while back "... these are my good old days..."

Relative newcomers will have their history ro look back on long after JD, Jack and I have gone to look at the blewup flatheads in the sky.

DW

Offline Nortonist 592

• http://www.artfv.com/design/fashion/
« Reply #27 on: December 20, 2006, 09:09:42 PM »
A few years ago at the SCTA awards banquet Alex Xydias was the guest speaker.  He asked to talk about "the good old days".  As he stood on the stage he looked around and recognized a number of friends from the time he was racing.  He acknowledged them and said "I was asked to come here and talk about the good old days.  Hell! these are the good old days".
Get off the stove Grandad.  You're too old to be riding the range.

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #28 on: December 20, 2006, 09:51:31 PM »
And he was so right. But some of us old guys were the lucky one to be around in the early days and have the memoories to talk about and share with you new kids on the block. The good old days are still happening, for all of us. :-o
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
« Reply #29 on: December 20, 2006, 10:20:00 PM »
Your actions in the good old days will go a long ways towards building a future as well.
"Where you started from is every bit as important a lesson as where you are trying to go."