Author Topic: Candidates speak  (Read 13112 times)

Offline Bob Drury

Candidates speak
« Reply #30 on: October 25, 2006, 01:07:41 PM »
Tom, been there, done that, awaiting results................Glen, turn off the t.v. and radio.......................
Bob Drury

JohnR

Candidates speak
« Reply #31 on: October 25, 2006, 01:08:17 PM »
Quote from: desotoman
Quote from: Bob Drury
The only difference I see is that now I can petition for rule change, and I wonder if that is another secret deal.  

Bob,

I can assure you rule change forms are available at all El Mirage races at the registration trailer. I am sure the same is true at Bonneville. All you have to do is get one, fill it out, and mail it. It is that simple. Yes you do have to make an effort to get one, but if it is that important to you, the effort will be made.

Tom G.

Actually Tom, It's even easier than that. I just emailed the SCTA office and Joann emailed me back the electronic version. I filled it out and forwarded it to Dan.

The only way it could be easier is to let you submit them written in crayon on 2-ply toilet paper :o

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
candidates
« Reply #32 on: October 25, 2006, 01:21:30 PM »
Bob
The only thing on the radio is country western and nothing on the TV as there are no races today :shock: And politics still suck!!!!!!
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline desotoman

Re: candidates `
« Reply #33 on: October 25, 2006, 01:47:53 PM »
Quote from: Glen
POLITICS SUCK, TO MUCH FINGER POINTING, NAME CALLING AND DAMN FEW VOLUNTEERS TO STEP UP TO THE PLATE. :shock:

Glen,

When the candidates came and talked at our club meeting, I asked if there was a way to change the day and time of the SCTA meetings. Reason? When the meeting is in Anaheim on a Friday night at 8 pm, I have to leave my house at 12 pm to beat traffic. Then find something to do for the next 6 hours until the meeting starts. I told the candidates that if they would consider changing the meeting to maybe a Saturday morning, or somewhere where I could take the metro rail to the meeting, anything other than being in a parking lot on a freeway on Friday night, then I would step up and run for office. No I don't want to be President, but I would not mind running for lower positions on the board.

Tom G.
I love the USA. How much longer will we be a free nation?

Asking questions is one's only way of getting answers.

The rational person lets verified facts form or modify his opinion.  The ideologue ignores verified facts which don't fit his preconceived opinions.

Offline Bob Drury

Candidates speak
« Reply #34 on: October 25, 2006, 01:51:17 PM »
Glen, at least you tried.  I have XM satelite radio, and the blues channel is all I listen to.  I relate to songs about things going to hell in a handbasket, and after this year at speedweek, I am thinking about changing my entry name to the Fiasco Kid  (fiasco = humiliating failure).  If the politics don't kill me, this damn car will.........................
Bob Drury

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
candidates
« Reply #35 on: October 25, 2006, 02:08:08 PM »
Tom
I know how you feel about the drive. I went thru it for years twice a month and once a month for the club meeting. For years we have searched for a more central place and it's damn hard to do. Friday nights not a lot of places have a room large enoug to handle the groups.

Hell if I go now I have to leave the day before, it's only 350 miles.

Being a elected or appointed board member is something every one should consider at least once. It opens ones eyes to at lot of what goes on to run the org. It's a lot of time sent away as well making it come together.
Glen
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline wheelspin

• http://www.alchemymotorsports.net
Candidates speak
« Reply #36 on: October 28, 2006, 02:27:54 AM »
I am very new to LSR and am not completely up to speed on all the politics and problems that exist. It seems to me that Jon ( Landracing) is the only one on this thread that has answered the question and proposed his ideas in a constructive way. EVERY sanctioning body has problems and is at times forced to make decisions that might upset its competitors, bitching, moaning , ranting , raving , and throwing temper tantrums is NOT the way to be heard if you expect any results. In my very limited experience with LSR and very extensive experience with other types of racing here is a list of my observations and ideas:

1. When a competitor enters an event and is found by SCTA records to be unlicensed they should be given a "newbie" manual of sorts to include answers to all the stupid questions they will no doubt have. I am guessing that 10% of all the posts on this web site are by rookies searching for information. The manual should include a 20 frequently asked questions list, the do's and do not's of racing on the salt, what to expect in tech, what you need to bring, suggestions about lodging or camping, general information about what running on the salt is like, and a big welcome to the organization.
I know many old timers feel that the races are already too crowded and could care less about whether or not a new racer enjoys himself and has a good experience or not. The fact is that without new blood this sport will fall the way of so many others and simply go away, and that would be a shame.

2. Someone really needs to do some research about whether or not the motorcycle ALL LEATHER rule has ANY impact on safety. The last thing we need to do is make this MORE expensive by adding the costs of modifying existing or buying new leathers. I know this is like beating a dead horse but after 13 years of professional, full time racing experience, I see NO increase in safety by having this rule ,it adds expense and if it were viable I think Moto GP and AMA would have a similar rule, which they don't.

3. Develop plans for a Licensing pass course, we all come to race and the more runs the better. Another option is to develop a motorcycle only course, the cars really tear up the course and present a safety concern for the bikes if it gets really bad. As far as I know the bikes ( streamliners not included) need much less run up and shut down room so I would think the course wouldn't need to be as long, and certainly would need less maintenance.

4. The Motorcycle rule book needs to be more definitive in its explanations and clarifications of the rules. I have written many rule books over the years and would be happy to provide input if needed.

5. The SCTA, BNI, 200 club, El mirage, etc should really combine all their web sites / improve navigation so you don't have to search for information on multiple sites, multiple pages, etc. As a newcomer it was very difficult to get all the information I needed because it was so spread out on multiple sites/pages.

6. Publish the motorcycle minimums in the rule book and have separate rule / records books for cars and bikes.

7. Combine forces ( or at least honor one anothers records) with AMA so the motorcycle records and rules are consistent.  It was very odd to me how two different sanctioning bodies, running on the same salt, within two weeks of one another, had no consistency with rules , records, minimums, etc.

8.On this web site create a new index topic for all the newbie Q&A and transfer all historical posts that fit this topic into the new index. I really don't like asking stupid questions and I am sure all you salty old timers are tired of answering them, over and over.

9. It is my opinion that car guys ( and their respective committee's) should make the car rules and Bike guys ( and their respective committee's) should make the bike rules. There are enough motorcycles running at Bonneville to warrant a separation with the rule making procedures and I am sure the car guys wouldn't mind transferring the responsibility to a new committee.

Like I said I am new to this so if anything I posted here is nonsense or redundant please excuse me. All I know is that I am hooked and look forward to racing at Bonneville for years to come and I would like to see the organization grow and attract more competitors, it will be a benefit to all of us.
Regards
Nathan

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
Read it again
« Reply #37 on: October 28, 2006, 03:56:27 AM »
I think you will see that Landracing did no more on this thread than post
 the list of ideas from 1 candidate.
The rest of them were bios and offered no proposed solutions.
"I would rather lose going fast enough to win than win going slow enough to lose."
"That horrible smell is dirty feet being held to the fire"

Offline 1212FBGS

• http://www.motobody.com
Candidates speak
« Reply #38 on: October 28, 2006, 12:24:27 PM »
wheelspin
The SCTA and BNI management is made up of volunteers. As such, they are people with families and other lives that often get very busy. Too buys to write stuff as mentioned. There is some info that is given to each rookie at orientation. If you or anyone else were to type up a more thorough rookie book I am sure that the volunteers at the SCTA would welcome it and quite possibly use it.
kent

Offline desotoman

Candidates speak
« Reply #39 on: October 28, 2006, 12:46:22 PM »
Quote from: wheelspin

2. Someone really needs to do some research about whether or not the motorcycle ALL LEATHER rule has ANY impact on safety. The last thing we need to do is make this MORE expensive by adding the costs of modifying existing or buying new leathers.
Regards
Nathan

Wheelspin, I am looking into buying some leathers myself and I asked a motorcycle tech inspector why the rule about the leathers existed. It was explained to me that perforations in the leathers would allow any type of fuel to possibly enter and soak your body then if ignited would turn you into a torch. Also you have to remember these rules have come down from over 50 years of experiencing accidents and having strange occurrences happen. SCTA is only trying to protect us from ourselves. I don't ever want to experience burns over my body, just because I wanted to save $500 on a set of leathers.
Tom G.
I love the USA. How much longer will we be a free nation?

Asking questions is one's only way of getting answers.

The rational person lets verified facts form or modify his opinion.  The ideologue ignores verified facts which don't fit his preconceived opinions.