Author Topic: Candidates speak  (Read 13111 times)

Offline Bob Drury

Candidates speak
« on: October 20, 2006, 07:29:26 PM »
O.K., here it is.  I invite any and all candidates to post whatever they want on this thread.  Lets keep it to facts.  I wonder who will be first?  Remember, if you state it here, it better happen..............
Bob Drury

Offline Bob Drury

Candidates speak
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2006, 11:39:08 AM »
I find it rather ironic that in this day of media savy internet usage, not one candidate, club officer or represenative has posted on this site to state how they intend to enact change or even go with the status quo.  Debate between candidates could answer a lot of concerns we all have.  Even a standard questionaire answered by each candidate could be quite informative, if published here so that all could see.  And no, I don't buy the arguement that not everyone frequents this site.  It is open to all who care to use it...........................
Bob Drury

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
candidates
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2006, 11:54:42 AM »
They have been going to the 12 SCTA club meetings to campaign and state their goals and plans. This takes time as the clubs are from San Diego to Santa Barbara and have different meeting dates. I belong to the Gear Grinders and live 400 miles away so I don't attend very often. However my club posts a news letter to all of the club membership either by e-mail or snail mail. Not all clubs do this. I make calls weekley to keep updated.

How they campaign is up to them, why don't you write a letter to the SCTA president and ask them to post their agenda on this forum.
Glen
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline Bob Drury

Candidates speak
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2006, 12:08:31 PM »
Glen, that is exactly my point.  The candidates or club reps could get their messages out faster and to a broader audience by posting here.  Also, club newsletters tend to be somewhat politicized and/or reflect the views of the writer in describing issues and views.  I don't believe the brief statement by candidates that came with the ballots gives anyone enough information to make a informed choice.  Bob
Bob Drury

Offline desotoman

Re: Candidates speak
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2006, 01:43:36 PM »
Quote from: Bob Drury
 Remember, if you state it here, it better happen..............

Bob, I think you ran everyone off with this statement. :wink:
Tom G.
I love the USA. How much longer will we be a free nation?

Asking questions is one's only way of getting answers.

The rational person lets verified facts form or modify his opinion.  The ideologue ignores verified facts which don't fit his preconceived opinions.

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
Re: Candidates speak- A Matter of Record
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2006, 02:49:14 PM »
Quote from: desotoman
 Remember, if you state it here, it better happen..............

Bob, I think you ran everyone off with this statement. :wink:
Tom G.

It is the "GOOD OLD BOY" network that gives rise to all the "FAIRY TALES" and "Wild Stories" we suffer from.
The statements are good reading now and better later as the smoke clears.
I have all 6 pages of the candidates statements available by e-mail or FAX to anybody that wants them.
The E-mail format comes out real small and I am not sure how you might enlarge it.

I am at jackdolan@san.rr.com  or
858-292-4444
Jack
"I would rather lose going fast enough to win than win going slow enough to lose."
"That horrible smell is dirty feet being held to the fire"

JohnR

Candidates speak
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2006, 03:29:15 PM »
I find it rather ironic that in this day of media savy internet usage, not one candidate, club officer or represenative has posted on this site to state how they intend to enact change........The candidates or club reps could get their messages out faster...
Bob

What do the club reps have to do with it?

Offline desotoman

« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2006, 03:53:08 PM »
Quote from: JackD

It is the "GOOD OLD BOY" network that gives rise to all the "FAIRY TALES" and "Wild Stories" we suffer from.

Jack, I totally disagree on that statement. I remember when the good old boys  were in office. I also remember things that happened, and it is not my imagination. I can point to the rule book and show a record that should never have been. I don't think that is a wild story, fairy tale, or imagination problem.  :roll:
Tom G.
I love the USA. How much longer will we be a free nation?

Asking questions is one's only way of getting answers.

The rational person lets verified facts form or modify his opinion.  The ideologue ignores verified facts which don't fit his preconceived opinions.

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2006, 04:11:14 PM »
Quote from: desotoman
Quote from: JackD

Jack, I totally disagree on that statement. I remember when the good old boys  were in office. I also remember things that happened, and it is not my imagination. I can point to the rule book and show a record that should never have been. I don't think that is a wild story, fairy tale, or imagination problem.  :roll:
Tom G.

I can show you many records that are inappropriate and rules to match.
"I would rather lose going fast enough to win than win going slow enough to lose."

Offline Bob Drury

Candidates speak
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2006, 05:58:20 PM »
John, what I was implying was that club reps should have a pretty fair view of the goings on at SCTA meetings, and could give hopefully their unadulterated, or at least first hand experiences with candidates.  This doesn't mean bad mouthing, simply stating that ""so in so seems to take a leadership role in such as such", or "I think that either candidate would do a fine job".  All I am asking is that they tell the truth, and remember what Grandpa said, "if you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all".  Oh, yeah, and some other dude said " he who lives in a glass house should not cast the first stone", or something to that effect.  What we need are facts, not mud slinging......................
Bob Drury

landracing

Candidates speak
« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2006, 01:36:48 AM »
Jim Lattin as President
13 Goals for 2007

Goal #1   Last year the SCTA Bylaws were grossly deviated from twice that I am aware of. Why have laws if they aren?t followed? Allow no one to break SCTA Bylaws!

Goal #2   The El Mirage building project has taken too long and cost too much money! Finish the El Mirage building project with the least amount of money.

Goal #3   SCTA is made up of an older group of people. We need to entice younger people to become involved. Some ways to promote interest might be by making Board Reps meeting more open and friendly and by turning vehicle inspection into a helpful experience not an intimidating one.

Goal #4   For a few years now the last 100 or so yards of the El Mirage course has been brittle and breaks up. I am aware that moving the starting line to the west will cause staging lines to run at an angle and cut down pit area. I believe it is more important to have a good race surface. If this condition exists in 2007 move the El Mirage starting line to the west to ensure a better course at the finish line.

Goal #5   This year the finance committee was hand picked by the Board of Directors. There is a better way for the Board to get direction from the memberships. Form a finance committee made up of one member from each SCTA Club, picked by that club?s members.

Goal #6   Financial status should be out in the open for the membership. Provide a complete, clear and currently balanced accounting for the membership.

Goal #7   SCTA first of all is a club and exists to provide its membership a safe, fun and economical race program. Secondly SCTA is a business and must maintain financial stability. There appears to be enough money in the treasury to start giving back to the racers possibly by lowering fees.

Goal#8   On Sept 12, 2006 at the BNI Board meeting, Roy Creel?s proposal of allowing SCTA members to run at Bonneville without joining BNI passed by one vote ( and should have been a slam dunk! ). As SCTA members we are already paying dues, pull patrol, and own the equipment. It is only fair that SCTA Membership alone allows you to participate at Speed Week and the World Finals.

Goal #9   BNI is a wholly owned subsidary of SCTA and should function within that framework. BNI should be limited to setting up the Bonneville events.

Goal #10 Years ago I designed the 2 course system at Bonneville. At that time I also designed a 3 and 4 course system but they were deemed unnecessary and the Board voted in just the 2 course system. With nearly 500 entries at Bonneville this past year it is time to revisit this discussion. Devise a system to minimize the long lines and get more runs at Bonneville.

Goal #11 In this litigation crazy world we could loose El Mirage as a place to race at any time! Search for a new place to race

Goal #12 In the past not all clubs have been represented on the SCTA Board of Directors and some small clubs have had 4 members on the board. It is better to have more evenly and/or proportional representation for the clubs on the board. The elected board should appoint board members from all clubs when possible.

Goal #13 The SCTA racing membership is made up of approximately 1/3 motorcycle racers and 2/3 car racers. I understand that Roadster rules will always be more controversial than bike rules but the Board of Directors needs more proportional representation.

Offline John Noonan

• 306 200+ mph time slips. 252 mph on a dirtbike
Candidates speak
« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2006, 01:42:06 AM »
Jon,

Thanks for posting that!!

John

Offline KeithTurk

• Global Moderator
Candidates speak
« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2006, 07:14:32 AM »
I'd like to hear from Jim Dunn too... any of you know if he's available?

As you can see from Many of Lattin's points the guy has the racer at front of the line...  and you know I'm going to agree with the 3-4 course structure... so on and so forth...

The minimum requirement for those of us who are in the SCTA is to vote...  or not bitch about the way the SCTA is run...
Keith Turk
 D Gas Modified Sports
 246.555 mph

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
REMARKABLE
« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2006, 01:00:43 PM »
Only Lattin's list has been published here so far.
Everybody that is eligible to vote got the whole package.
The important thing here is the SCTA affects everybody that runs Bonneville
and all the entrants are interested in what is likely to happen.
As a voting member, I am more interested in your ideas than a recap of your bio.
If I don't know even who you are by now there seems very little chance I would give you the nod.
The predictions of a massive pullout if it doesn't go the way you want  gives
me a good measure of the depth of the your real commitment.

OBTW: The Wife says with all the e-mail and FAX product this deal has produced,
when does the money happen ?
I told her the results were priceless.
 :wink:

JohnR

Candidates speak
« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2006, 12:02:24 PM »
Quote from: landracing
Jim Lattin as President
13 Goals for 2007

Goal #7   SCTA first of all is a club and exists to provide its membership a safe, fun and economical race program. Secondly SCTA is a business and must maintain financial stability. There appears to be enough money in the treasury to start giving back to the racers possibly by lowering fees.

Ok Bob, I'll bite. (At the risk of a blowfly coming in and disrupting our conversation)

I agree with Jim on items 1, 2, 4, 6, 8, 9, 10, 12 and 13.

When Jim and I spoke on Sunday, we spent alot of time on #7. I understand what he is saying but I disagreed with this statement. In order for the SCTA to provide the race program it must FIRST maintain financial stability, not the other way around. If the SCTA is bankrupt it cannot provide anything! So even if you agree with #7 you must at least admit that the SCTA has to remain financially viable before it is able to provide anything to the racer. Now, there is a valid discussion as to what a reasonable amount of money in the "war chest" should be but I think that there must be a war chest in case of the worst case scenerio possibilities concerning weather and Speedweek & World Final cancellations. I have heard that the SCTA-BNI is in for about $150,000 as of the day before Speedweek starts and if a rainout happens then that money is GONE and we need to be able to do it all over again without any new infusion of cash. If we get a second rainout then thats another $150,000 gone and we need to be able to do it again! So that makes $450,000 needed to survive a worst case 2 year speedweek rainout. Of course, odds are that it wont happen like that in 2007 and 2008. The SCTA has been running at Bonneville for almost 60 years and we have had double rainouts in the past. Are you a gambler? I'm not and I dont want our board to be either.

I suggested to Jim that if the goal was to reduce the SCTA war chest then how about an insurance policy? And I mean literally an insurance policy. You can get a custom policy for just about anything so I would assume you could get a rainout, or a double rainout policy. It may cost more than we think it's worth but it IS an option.

As time permits I will post my reasons on the other points where I think Jim and I look at things differently.