Author Topic: SCTA/BNI Board  (Read 7483 times)

Offline Bob Drury

SCTA/BNI Board
« on: November 18, 2004, 09:44:00 PM »
As most of you know, there has been a sometimes heated, sometimes humorous debate going on over the issue of traction control.  I think a lot of us are confused as to how the board is elected, length of terms, and how we should properly address the board to suggest amending or implimenting new rules and/or policies.  Also, if it is true, why are non-members of the board allowed to vote on board related matters?
 I am not trying to start a witch hunt here, I just think a lot of us are confused by the proceedures and a little clarification would be greatly appreciated.  thanks, and thanks to each and all of the SCTA/BNI board members and the VOLUNTEER members who get a lot of heat for doing a thankless job.
Bob Drury

Offline jimmy six

Re: SCTA/BNI Board
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2004, 10:29:00 PM »
There a 5 elected officers. There others who are appointed by that board. They are not limited to a specific number.

This year they were:
 Chief Starter
 Chief Car Inspector
 Chief Motorcycle Inspecter
 Technical Chair (Car)
 Thecnical Chair (M/C)
 Director of Communications
 Registration
 BNI Chairman
 BNI Vice Chairman
 BNI Secretary
 BNI Treasurer
 BNI Member at Large
 BNI Advisor
 BNI Advisor

Others are on Advisory members including all the SCTA Club Presidents, Dan Warner for rules, and I am for Certificates and Timing Tags. There are many others...WE DO NOT HAVE A VOTE when it come to accepting new rules which have been through the rules process..

As you say there are a ton of volunteers and all are listed in the SCTA Racing News which comes out during the racing season at at other times.  SCTA Club members get them as part of their dues.

Rules proposals are submitted on the proper forms which are located at the Registration trailer at all SCTA or SCTA/BNI scanctioned events. Dan recieves them and gives them to the proper committee as needed for possible research and recommendations..

Hope this helps
First GMC 6 powered Fuel roadster over 200, with 2 red hats. Pit crew for Patrick Tone's Super Stock #49 Camaro

dwarner

« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2004, 10:48:00 PM »
OK, here goes:
 Five elected board members, President, Vice-President, Secretary, Treasurer, Sergeant-at-Arms. One year term, max. of two consecutive terms in same office position. Seven appointed board members plus Chief Starter, Chief Car Tech, Chief Car Inspector, Chief Motorcycle Tech and Chief Motorcycle Tech. for a total of 17. The appointed board positions are a one year term but, there is no limit on consecutive terms served.

The 17 people listed in the above paragraph are the only voters for association policy. I think the confusion lies in the thinking that the Rules Committee which includes interested participants, all club Presidents, all committee chairs and a representitive from each club dictate policy to the board. The Rules Committee only makes rule recommendations to the board.

In the past the rules were made by a select few of board members in secret meetings. There was no procedure for any input from anyone outside this select group. I took a suggestion from Keith Young many years ago(too many) and began the committee system we now have in place. It is far from perfect but, now the racers who are participants are able to have a forum to voice their ideas.

The rules change procedure is outlined in the rulebook on page 12, section 1-Q. I am also putting this information on page 1 for 2005.

DW

Offline Bob Drury

« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2004, 11:39:00 PM »
Thanx Dan and J.D. I think one other thing that causes confusion is that those of us who live in locals other than So Cal area are not privy to the SCTA news letters other than the BNI related info, because of having no club affiliations.                    thanx again,
                          Bob
Bob Drury

dwarner

« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2004, 11:52:00 PM »
Yes Bob, that is a problem for those who are interested. Unfortunatly, I don't have an answer right now.

DW

Offline Richard Thomason

• http://www.dannyboystreamliner.com
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2004, 12:42:00 AM »
RE: TC and all the info posts. I think this is a great discussion. I am so glad to see this type of forum today, versus the things that were going on 20 years ago. The issues that we are dealing with today are enjoyable from a racers standpoint compared to yesteryear. I tip my hat to the current board and the people that are making these eventts happen.  Have only been involved in land speed racing for 25 years (that is not that long-believe me time goes by very quickly) I have no problem at all with the board's ruling. I firmly believe that they are doing what they think is the best for our sport. In this particular instance, I happen to disagree, I think that traction control should be allowed, certainly in the unlimited classes, but I am so pleased with the effort and the direction that the SCTA is taking overall that I will defer to their thoughts. I am so pleased with the way that things are run for the racers that I will take my minor differences and forget them all. My feelings are very strong as far as allowing traction control, but my feelings are stronger as to supporting the group that is working their tails off to give us a safe, uniform, sanctioned, and viable place to run our cars. The Danny Boy race team has not always agreed with all the rulings of the board and committees, but we will stand up and say that we will support this group of dedicated people to our sport. Unfortunately, we live too far away to really be a strong part of the governing group, but we support the people that are willing to put so much time and effort into our sport and we stand behind them  wholeheartedly. Again, I say 2 things:
 1.) Danny Boy is in favor of traction control devices
 2.) We support the board in their decisions
 rht

landracing

« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2004, 09:18:00 AM »
Send them a few cases of apples their way for their board meetings with a little note that says, "we are in favor of traction control."

Jon

landracing

« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2004, 10:25:00 AM »
Richard,

Thank you for making your first post to the website. I however would like to see your opinion on TC, why you are in favor of it. This website doesn't offer and bias towards someone who does or doesn't like  traction control. I would just like more info to better educate myself and readers on why a person would or wouldn't want it. And you run a very successfull streamliner and this could affect you most in your unlimited LSR vehicle. Please share with us.

Jonathan

Offline RichFox

« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2004, 12:31:00 PM »
Richard Thomason kinda beat me to it but I wanted to point out that dispite anyones views on TC this is a Very Well Run association. Thanks Roy Creel and Mike Cook and everyone else for putting yourself on the line and making decisions like this.   R. Fox

landracing

« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2004, 12:41:00 PM »
There is no doubt that the SCTA-BNI puts on ONE HELL OF A RACING EVENT... NO one can argue that point at all..

Jonathan

Offline RichFox

« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2004, 01:38:00 PM »
Jon; I'm not just talking about racing events. Somebody has to be in charge. There have to be rules and someone has to make them. No matter what ruling the board makes, someone is going to be unhappy. And they will have to listen to the resulting belly aching. I'm just glad someone will do it and it's not me.  RF

Offline desotoman

« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2004, 03:42:00 PM »
Help, I need clarrification on the total number of board members. According to my 2004 rule book, section 17, pages 175 & 176, I count 18 members on the board. What am I not seeing, can some one comment.

Thanks,
 Tom Gerardi
I love the USA. How much longer will we be a free nation?

Asking questions is one's only way of getting answers.

The rational person lets verified facts form or modify his opinion.  The ideologue ignores verified facts which don't fit his preconceived opinions.

Offline desotoman

« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2004, 03:50:00 PM »
Bob, you can join the SCTA as an associate member on their website. I believe if you look on the righthand side of their home page you will find it. Hope this helps.

Regards,
 Tom Gerardi

SCTA
 Associate Membership
 The SCTA Associate Membership is for individuals who do not want to actually race a vehicle for one of the clubs at El Mirage dry lake, but would like to hold an associate position and receive all of the literature about the racing season.
I love the USA. How much longer will we be a free nation?

Asking questions is one's only way of getting answers.

The rational person lets verified facts form or modify his opinion.  The ideologue ignores verified facts which don't fit his preconceived opinions.

dwarner

« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2004, 04:22:00 PM »
Misprint on page 176 according to Roy Creel. The Official Timer no longer holds a board position. When Glen left that spot(Official Timer board position) was given to Lee Kennedy as Car Tech. The Offical Timer slot is not going to be a board position according to Roy. That gives you 17 board members. The odd number is to ensure that the President will have the breaking vote in case of a tie on some issue.

DW

Offline jimmy six

« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2004, 04:24:00 PM »
I took my titles from the latest SCTA Racing News which I recently recieved..J.D.
First GMC 6 powered Fuel roadster over 200, with 2 red hats. Pit crew for Patrick Tone's Super Stock #49 Camaro