Author Topic: Schimmer and Son "I" class fuel lakester:  (Read 161872 times)

Offline Lemming Motors

Re: Schimmer and Son "I" class fuel lakester:
« Reply #300 on: July 26, 2021, 11:28:29 AM »
Looking good Rex - wish I could see it in person this year ....... Presidential decrees and all that - no to the Shengen Area, no to the UK, no to Lemmings.

It is probably the perspective in the pic but it looks like the cockpit fire bottle is foot activated direct discharge - make sure the fire suit ankle elastic is in good shape or you will get a cold blast to the nether regions....  :-D
A Bonneville Lakester please barman.
Certainly sir; a lick of salt, a sip of gas and a twist of Lemming. More Lemming sir?
Just a squeeze.

A Squeeze of Lemming it is sir.

Offline Rex Schimmer

• Only time and money prevent completion!
« Reply #301 on: August 04, 2021, 11:08:48 PM »
We are "wrapped and ready"! Got it on the trailer and I have more $hit in my truck than I have ever had, hope I can pull the trailer too. Leaving in the AM and hopefully have pits set up and car inspected before sun down on Friday. Looking forward to seeing everyone and hopefully enjoying the salt.

Rex and Duke
Rex

Not much matters and the rest doesn't matter at all.

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #302 on: August 04, 2021, 11:45:37 PM »
Big Jamey and I will see you there  :cheers:
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline racergeo

« Reply #303 on: August 04, 2021, 11:53:28 PM »
   That paint job is conducive to big MPH.  Read that some where :|

Offline jacksoni

« Reply #304 on: August 16, 2021, 08:25:39 AM »
Rex- was great to see you and chat at SW. Sorry to hear about the head gasket issue and hope you can come up with a good fix and get back out. Thanks for your nice comments and support.
Jack Iliff
 G/BGS-250.235 1987
 G/GC- 193.550 2021
  G/FAlt- 193.934 2021 (196.033 best)
 G/GMS-182.144 2019

Offline Rex Schimmer

« Reply #305 on: August 16, 2021, 06:26:26 PM »
Jack,
Great to see you at Speed Week and I love your engine, two strokes rule!!! You should do a build page on it as it is so unique.

We had a little more than just a head gasket, no. 4 went lean burned a hole in the head between the exhaust valve and if it had run, literally, 2 more seconds the piston would have collapsed! Won't be making WOS. Engine is at the builders and we are already making plans for next year.

Rex
Rex

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #306 on: August 16, 2021, 10:37:57 PM »
Well Crap Rex... I was hoping with you that it just pushed out the gasket a little and WoS was a possibility.... finals maybe? Was it still collecting crap on the top of the injectors?  Did you figure out what caused the issue.  Your advice and filter help fixed my electronic injection issue.  Jon and James appreciated you help as well.
It was good talking to you... We made a good dent in the bottle  :cheers:
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline Rex Schimmer

« Reply #307 on: August 17, 2021, 02:13:20 PM »
Stainless,
After talking to Kinsler and my engine building friend, Stu Van Dyne, the conclusion is that we could have one or both of two things. Old methanol that is in some part of the injector system that has turned into the junk we see on the top of the injector or possibly corrosion of one of the aluminum parts in our fuel system, which would only be the outlet side of our fuel filter or the barrel valve, both of which I am inspecting. I will be making an extra effort to insure that there are no areas that the fuel could stagnate in and will also be making changes to the plumbing to enable us to flush everything more easily.
The motor is at Engine Dynamics right now with our spare head being ported and over sized valves being installed and we will be ordering new pistons from J&E or CP and as long as we are doing that we intend to up the compression ratio to around 14:1 plus we are modifying our ign curve to take out a little more lead in the 12,000 to 13,000 range.

A quick note that my wife and I have made a pretty good dent in the bottle you gave me. Good stuff!

Rex

Rex

Offline Peter Jack

« Reply #308 on: August 17, 2021, 08:26:44 PM »
Rex, when you're through racing for any period of time the methanol has to be flushed out. The easiest way is to disconnect the line from the alcohol tank and set up a small tank with gasoline. Start the engine at idle. When the idle picks up that means the alcohol is flushed from the system and replaced with non corrosive gasoline. Aluminum and methanol combine to form a nasty white corrosive deposit which screws up the whole system.

Good luck.

Pete

Offline Rex Schimmer

« Reply #309 on: August 18, 2021, 11:55:43 AM »
Peter Jack said: "Aluminum and methanol combine to form a nasty white corrosive deposit which screws up the whole system." Boy are we learning this the hard (and expensive) way. We will be back!  It's the fever!

Rex

Rex

Offline Lemming Motors

« Reply #310 on: August 18, 2021, 05:10:02 PM »
Rex, is that EnDyn in Texas you are referencing?
A Bonneville Lakester please barman.
Certainly sir; a lick of salt, a sip of gas and a twist of Lemming. More Lemming sir?
Just a squeeze.

A Squeeze of Lemming it is sir.

Offline Rex Schimmer

« Reply #311 on: August 20, 2021, 02:07:23 PM »
John,
Engine Dynamics is in Petaluma, CA which is about 25 miles from my house. They specialize in motorcycle engines. Mike Crowther is a countryman of yours, he was head of the experimental engine development testing at Triumph before it closed its' doors. John Spease works for him and does the head work on our engine. Great guys and they do fantastic work. They have done many R&D projects for Honda and KTM, they know their stuff.

Rex
Rex

Offline Rex Schimmer

« Reply #313 on: July 21, 2022, 04:30:43 PM »
Due to a last minute engine problem I regret to say that Schimmer and Son IF/L will not be attending this years Speed Week. The problem just happen and as we were already in somewhat of a thrash this was the final item that put "paid" to our visit to Speed Week this year. We have the engine at the motor builders and "should" have it for the World of Speed event in early September.

I do plan to go to Speed Week for a couple of days to get our extinguisher bottles recertified and also buy some methanol from VP for the WOS meet in September.

Sid, if you happen to read this and need someone to clean your wheels or wax your streamliner I am available.

Rex
Rex

Offline racergeo

« Reply #314 on: July 21, 2022, 04:49:41 PM »

Hi Rex, would you pick up some Nitro also?? Just for a little cushion, say 20mph or so.