Author Topic: good people  (Read 1994 times)

LSRgroupie

good people
« on: November 18, 2004, 11:37:00 AM »
As a spectator and occasional pit crew member I was touched by a comment about age in the TC posts. I have been going to Bonneville for 10 years and one of the first things I noticed was some of the drivers and crews were in there 60's and 70's. Maybe I lead a sheltered life but most of the seniors I know are not working on or driving fast cars. One of the things I love about Bville is not only the diversity of machines but the diversity of drivers, young, old, paralized, missing an arm, etc. Living in this time of history when everyone has an excuse of why they can't do this or that, these individuals just do it and are a model for me and my sons of living life to the fullest regardless of what comes your way.   Barry

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
Re: good people
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2004, 11:43:00 AM »
Barry
 Thats what is so great about our sport. We are lucky to have this in our lives. I first went to the salt and the dry lakes in 1953. I was bitten and find the only cure is to make as many trips to the salt and El Mirage for my fix. I hope you and your sons get to enjoy the many years I have. It's a great family.
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline jimmy six

Re: good people
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2004, 12:08:00 PM »
LSR- You are definately right about the ages. Most of our "seniors" were hot rodders in the 50's and 60's but life kind of got in the way of the fun they once had..

Once retired from the work or businesses; they saw that their 'past' was still in the 'present' and with time and now a little more money their old dreams could come true..

Some were lucky enough to continue doing it and brought their sons and daughters along..Tom Bryant, Larry Volk, The Cooks, and The Fergusons with 3 grnerations come to mind here along with many others...With my love of land speed racing came my son, he however does not share my total commitment but doesn't have a problem getting the seat or helping when needed.

Last year a 20's year old (3rd generation Lakes racer) ran for SCTA Vice President so all is not left to the Geritol Generation. At 60 I am still considered "that hippie with the illegal roadster" by some senior to me.

Glad to have you aboard and hope you continue to enjoy it.  J.D.
First GMC 6 powered Fuel roadster over 200, with 2 red hats. Pit crew for Patrick Tone's Super Stock #49 Camaro