Author Topic: Shootout 2016  (Read 91581 times)

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
Re: Shootout 2016
« Reply #150 on: September 23, 2016, 12:20:50 AM »
maybe the driveshaft got the tire
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline trimmers

• Jeff in Boise
« Reply #151 on: September 23, 2016, 05:41:32 AM »
maybe the driveshaft got the tire

Maybe.  You'll have to ask Danny about that.
------------- 1 of just 3 in all 3  -------------
USFRA 130 MPH Club 09/18/2008 136.757
USFRA 150 MPH Club 09/17/2009 152.162
Bonneville 200 MPH Club 09/15/2019 218.600
Best Run: 253.080 MPH 09/14/2019 #6556

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #152 on: September 23, 2016, 10:09:20 AM »
Based on tire shredding start location and drive shaft location a mile or so down track, my guess is tire got the shaft
But it really sounded awesome for a minute or so, I hope he finds a way  to come back  :cheers:
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline dw230

« Reply #153 on: September 24, 2016, 04:30:54 PM »
OK, I am up to post #65 and it is time to add some clarification.

The Honda streamliner ran J/BFS just like Speed Week. The Cook FB page is wrong, the web person does not do the fact checking that a 1st year journalism student is taught.

The club by-laws state that to gain membership a record must be broken. It does not state which/whose record. In the case of an International meet such as the shootout the FIA/FIM record would prevail. The originators of the by-laws had their collective hearts in the right place as we understand the 'intent' of the sentence. However, 'intent' would not pass the sniff test in court. So the Honda Team driver, Hikaru Myiagi, was awarded his membership for the ultimate 268 record set against the old 171 FIA standard.

You may be pleased to know that I have already written, did so on the salt, a proposed by-laws change that will appear on the ballot later this year. If you have strong or not so strong feelings about this issue please vote. I did this because over the years lr.com has been the dumping place for those who choose to complain but are shy of standing up.

DW
White Goose Bar - Where LSR is a lifestyle
Alcohol - because no good story starts with a salad.

Don't be Karen, be Beth

Offline dw230

« Reply #154 on: September 24, 2016, 04:40:16 PM »
Re: post #85

Thanks for the strokes Joe.

I am trying to keep the club legit for records. To this end I did a phone poll while on the salt of the eight board members not on the salt(I am the 9th) and got an overwhelming 7 yay, 1 nay vote.

Again, I must stress that the 'intent' of the sentence is not all encompassing.

Dan Warner
President
Bonneville 200 MPH Club

Don't be Karen, be Beth

Offline salt

• EMD2CLM - B2CLM
« Reply #155 on: September 24, 2016, 05:17:32 PM »
Re. post 153 Dan Warner -
let's not add new confusing information to old confusing information, please.

The "ultimate" Honda J/BFS FIA record attained at the 2016 Mike Cook Shootout was not "268" but 261.875mph, at least that's according to Honda's own web site.
Waay faster than the old FIA record, but still slower than the SCTA/BNI J/BFS streamliner record of 266.561mph, set during Spedweek, 2007 by Costella/Yacoucci. This 266.561mph record is also shown on the web site of the Bonneville 200mph Club as the "minimum" to break to attain a "red hat," by the way.
Correct me if I'm wrong.

Willi

Kraut Bros.
Who Has More Fun?

Offline dw230

« Reply #156 on: September 24, 2016, 05:29:52 PM »
Willi,

You are correct on all accounts. I misspoke the record speed but even as I was measuring the engine 268 was being spoken. I did not see the final FIA record sheet.

The 266 you mention is indeed the speed to beat if you are at an SCTA meet, the 171 or 177,  if you prefer, was the record to beat if you are running FIA. Just like the old days when there was a record for SCTA, a record for USFRA and a record for FIA in the same class. Took four of us 5 years to sort out.

There is a chance to clarify this situation forth coming. Vote your heart when you get your ballot.

Dan Warner
President
Bonneville 200 MPH Club

Don't be Karen, be Beth

Offline salt

• EMD2CLM - B2CLM
« Reply #157 on: September 24, 2016, 05:43:48 PM »
Thanks, Dan, I will.

I still remember what a monumental task that was for you guys to "unify" all those records. Thank you for your service to the Club!

Willi

Kraut Bros.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2016, 05:46:04 PM by salt »
Who Has More Fun?

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #158 on: September 24, 2016, 07:45:33 PM »
Willi---I am with you on this---I will vote to have the Minimum/Records page listed speed be the MINIMUM speed that has to be certified to EARN a hat.

I missed the minimum with a record that was a little over 3 mph below the 270 MINIMUM on the backup. Multiple tries and 7 years later I earned my red hat with  299.?? by breaking a SCTA RECORD that was above the 270 minimum that I had missed earlier.  So I have danced on both sides of that MINIMUM!!!!!!!

I will vote in support of the SCTA records and MINIMUM as listed! 
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Having said that a record set under FIA conditions---ie 2 runs opposite directions with in 1-2 % would be a subject worthy of discussion.
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
« Reply #159 on: September 24, 2016, 09:30:53 PM »
Well guys, there  are a few things to consider with the FIA... One hour turn around.... extra distance.... do those balance the 4+1 for SCTA records or do we need to extablish FIA/FIM minimums.  It took a long time to sort it out years ago...
I guess the membership has an opportunity to vote what they feel coming up....

Who wants to serve on a committee to establish minimums if the club votes to do it that way.

Glad I'm not Dan
Stainless

Offline rouse

• Impound is the place to be
« Reply #160 on: September 26, 2016, 10:49:57 AM »
There was a much simpler time in the not so distant past, when folks would simply set a record over 200 to gain entry to the club.

Fact is; all you had to keep straight was setting your class record, and that was over 200MPH. Simple right, and left little room for squabbles and/or hard feeling over arbitrary minimums and/or how they were derived. I have had old friends that were 2 club members from the early 60's, and they told me that they had reservations about the whole idea of the open minimums deal.

They thought the minimums would just lead to arguments over who and how the minimums were set, as apposed to what really should be important and happening, racers celebrating setting a class record at over 200 at Bonneville.

I don't have a red hat ( Yet ) and therefore have no standing to say much about how the club sets up it's bylaws. I am however, a life long racer and have all the respect for every one involved in every aspect of racing.

On this issue I am an interest outsider wishing the best for the folks that put in so much effort to make the Bonneville 200 MPH club the prestigious organization it has been sense its beginning.   
Johnnie Rouse
Bike 4680 P-PP2000 SCTA record 153.325    A-PF3000 182.920
                              Texas Mile 152.518 PP class  186 A-PF Class
If you love your freedom thank a vet.

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
« Reply #161 on: September 26, 2016, 12:59:14 PM »
Johnnie, Have one of your 60s racer buddies show you the rule and records book... You will not see a million  :roll:  classes.
 I was one of the people involved that was affected by minimums that seemed arbitrary at the time.  The year after my son went 200.0something exit speed on a normally aspirated gas 1000 the minimum was set to 205.  That was the first time a gas 1000 had touched the mark.  A couple of years before a fuel (N20) 1000 went 206 to get in the club...
I argued the point, I was a club member, but I did not prevail.  So I made more changes to the fairings and we worked on rider position (thanks Pork Pie on both) and Rob went 208.959 and got in the club... Special Construction then went to closed tails and all of the APS records went up... but not the minimums.
With that said, if you look, most of the minimums are in new classes and streamliners, not long time traditional classes, fewer in cars than bikes.  But the Club reviews minimums every 5 years, and you can petition the club to reconsider a minimum that you think is arbitrarily high, be sure to do a lot of research on records from the past and present.
The FIA and FIM numbers and classes controversy is not new... options to change the bylaws will be presented to the membership and with any luck we will decide what needs to be done. 
It is not supposed to be easy  :cheers:
Stainless

Offline rouse

• Impound is the place to be
« Reply #162 on: September 26, 2016, 01:58:53 PM »
Stainless,
Problem with those friends is, they are no longer with us. I was repeating what they had predicted would happen. I guess keeping things simple is just too complicated.

I enjoy running at Bonneville and chances are good that if I keep it up I'll end up in the 2 club one day, if I live long enough that is.

One thing that's for sure, I know the rules for the class I'm running, and that's what we build too.

It's up to the 2 club to set their own bylaws, I will sit back and long for the simpler, good old days.

Oh! yell, If I set any record over 200 MPH, you can bet one thing for an absolute certainty, We will be celebrating the accomplishment with an Ice Cold Beer, ( you're invited :cheers: ), even if that comes without the red hat.

Rouse 
Johnnie Rouse
Bike 4680 P-PP2000 SCTA record 153.325    A-PF3000 182.920
                              Texas Mile 152.518 PP class  186 A-PF Class
If you love your freedom thank a vet.

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #163 on: September 26, 2016, 06:32:54 PM »
Let's look at minimums . . .

For instance, you're running a AA/Blown Fuel Mustang (yes, I know it's not a class -- only a for-instance.

The C record is 250.

The B is 260.

The A is 270.

The double A is 245.

The club thinks (generously) that 265 will qualify you for membership.

Wa-wa-wa.  246 is cherry-picking (see motorcycles).

What's wrong with this.  You can petition for a review of the minimum.  Do you think you deserve one in this case?

As an aside, it also cuts down on rent-a-rides.  Who'd want to be in that club. 
It legitimizes the roster.

Just saw in the wonderful Bonneville Racing News someone was proud of setting 90 bike records in one Northwest meet.  Gee, I'd be so proud.  I guess it helps the cash flow.  (How much does it cost to change classes?  Can you run more than one at a time?  Sorta like an NBA player getting the championship of fathering children.)

Stan Back
(and wait)       
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline Peter Jack

« Reply #164 on: September 26, 2016, 06:49:29 PM »
Let's look at minimums . . .

For instance, you're running a AA/Blown Fuel Mustang (yes, I know it's not a class -- only a for-instance.

The C record is 250.

The B is 260.

The A is 270.

The double A is 245.

The club thinks (generously) that 265 will qualify you for membership.

Wa-wa-wa.  246 is cherry-picking (see motorcycles).

What's wrong with this.  You can petition for a review of the minimum.  Do you think you deserve one in this case?

As an aside, it also cuts down on rent-a-rides.  Who'd want to be in that club.  
It legitimizes the roster.

Just saw in the wonderful Bonneville Racing News someone was proud of setting 90 bike records in one Northwest meet.  Gee, I'd be so proud.  I guess it helps the cash flow.  (How much does it cost to change classes?  Can you run more than one at a time?  Sorta like an NBA player getting the championship of fathering children.)

Stan Back
(and wait)      

I'm with Stan!  :-D :-D :-D  :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

And I do understand that may be dangerous company.  :roll: :roll: :roll:

Pete