Author Topic: L.Ranger records  (Read 6442 times)

Offline hawkwind

L.Ranger records
« on: October 09, 2006, 12:54:14 AM »
G'day ,Im after any history and or information on the records by L.Ranger 1000cc A/BF  and A/BF 1350, record book says  a Honda  and is the 750 record by Gansberger  the same bike , anyone know anything ?
Gary :)
slower than most

Offline 1212FBGS

• http://www.motobody.com
L.Ranger records
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2006, 11:55:07 AM »
The Ranger/Bickford record"s" were with a CB750/900 F baced motors. althow Ranger, Bickford, and Gansberger were all SDRC members it was not the same machine. Gansberger used a turbo earlier single cam honda cb750 motors. Jim Bickford built and used the later styled twin cam motors.

Offline Larry Forstall

L.Ranger records
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2006, 01:50:21 PM »
Les' 219 open record is still one of the most impressive in the book. His two runs were 226 and 212. The Honda used mechanical injection and ran on methanol. I believe Jim Bickford used the same engine in his car streamliner.

Offline Larry Forstall

L.Ranger records
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2006, 02:20:49 PM »
Pic of Les and his Honda.

Offline Freud

Les Ranger
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2006, 10:30:06 PM »
I did the fotos for the story that CYCLE Magazine did of Les. It included his portrait with his 200 MPH Club hat.  That 219 was a handful for him. The bike moved around a lot and he was one of the early people to experience traction problems related to HP.

Les was crazy for Nitro. I don't think he ever ran a bike of any displacement that wasn't fueled by nitro.

I saw him about 2 years ago and he has shifted over to boat racing. It happens more frequently and he doesn't have to drive as far to get to them. Bickford built a marvelous bike and power plant. When he put the engine in a streamliner car he crashed VERY HARD. I don't think he has ever participated since then. As I recall it was a 250+ MPH run. He was one of the earliest people to use a bike engine in a car and it was stunning in it's performance.

Everett, WA USA

FREUD
Since '63

Offline Freud

More Les Ranger
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2006, 11:21:16 PM »
As I read over my earlier post I said that Les only ran nitro. That was true if it was his bike.
Larry was correct. The bike being discussed was an alky burner and it was not his.

Sorry for the inaccuracy.

FREUD
Since '63

Offline hawkwind

L.Ranger records
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2006, 03:06:53 AM »
Thank you all very much for that info ,Im now a little wiser  :D ,why I asked is that it does stand out ,exceptionally so , amazing what an old school air cooled motor could do ,I have set myself a tall mountain to climb in challenging  the  A/BF & APS/BF  1350 records  as the A/BF 1650 record is so much softer .
Any other pics and info would be much appreciated
Gary
slower than most

stayt`ie

Re: L.Ranger records
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2007, 06:36:41 AM »
Pic of Les and his Honda.

where can i find the picture?, it was there on the old site, but here it`s not????

Offline wolbrink471

• Wolbrink Race
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2007, 07:40:28 AM »
Great thread and history........

I would also love to see a copy of the photograph

thanks
Mark
more information about the World's Fastest Dirt Bike at...... www.wolbrinkrace.com

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2007, 07:43:14 AM »
It should be noted that all of that was done without the added weight that is so popular now.
When Les had his lanky limbs wrapped round that bike was the first time I heard the expression "MONKEY ON A FOOTBALL."
"I would rather lose going fast enough to win than win going slow enough to lose."
"That horrible smell is dirty feet being held to the fire"

Offline Larry Forstall

« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2007, 09:58:28 AM »
Les Ranger

Offline wolbrink471

• Wolbrink Race
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2007, 10:45:26 AM »
Thanks for posting!!!!
more information about the World's Fastest Dirt Bike at...... www.wolbrinkrace.com

stayt`ie

« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2007, 04:07:57 PM »
thanks larry :-),,, are there any photos of the bike in a/bf trim??,,,, jack,  i recon he had enough weight, those old honda motors weighed a ton, and les is a big bloke :|,,

landracing

« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2007, 01:12:55 AM »
If you follow this link you can see about 4 more pictures of the bike.

http://www.landracing.com/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=44

These were taken in 2000..

Jon
« Last Edit: February 08, 2007, 01:16:11 AM by landracing »

Offline wolbrink471

• Wolbrink Race
« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2007, 07:51:23 AM »
Thanks for the additional photos!!!

anybody know what the heat shield taped/velcros to his right leg is made out of???

I have to wonder how he discovered the shield was required....think the hair on his leg is beginning to grow again??

mark