Author Topic: Solidworks Belly Tank frame plan  (Read 14934 times)

Offline ShawnRice

• New folks
Solidworks Belly Tank frame plan
« on: August 10, 2016, 02:11:16 PM »
We are beginning the build of a belly tank racer for Bonneville next year.  I have a friend who uses solidworks.  Does anyone have a set of plans they cuold send me to save time?  I know they would need to be modified but it would be a good place for us to start.

Offline Peter Jack

Re: Solidworks Belly Tank frame plan
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2016, 02:48:53 PM »
There are lots of different tanks so there is no universal plan. Most people bend or cut and fit the frame by making the main members follow a path just inside the perimeter of the center line of the tank. Cross members will depend on the size of the power train and the size of the driver. The bulkheads will be defined by the diameter of the tank at each position. Part of the fun is designing your own. There are several build diaries which may give you some good ideas.

Pete

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2016, 04:42:53 PM »
PJ   :cheers: :cheers:
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline krusty

« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2016, 05:07:18 PM »
When we designed/built our RMR, the chassis was modeled in Solidworks. I don't know if things have improved, but the program couldn't generate a cut list for the tubing. Other than that, it was a GREAT asset to fitting things in tight places (and proving that they would work as designed).  Note that "we" means Tim Turner, fellow hot rodder, racing engineer, and great friend.  :cheers:

vic

Offline tauruck

« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2016, 12:27:00 AM »
I went with the Kiwi Belly Tank modeling technique. I know there isn't a program for Windows or Mac. I checked. :evil: :wink:
As Sid said, "Lay all your junk out on the floor and mark it with chalk".
Take measurements and you're good to go!!!!.
Worked for me. :-D
Thanks Sid. :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

Offline kiwi belly tank

« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2016, 09:18:44 AM »
Tanks are a bit of an animal to build, it's kinda like building a ship in a bottle & the bottle is shaped like a turd. :-D The more crap you have hanging out of the thing, the more drag you'll have so try not to build an oil rig cage on top of it.
  Sid.

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2016, 09:30:07 AM »
 Sid---lol      here is to no oil rigs on the salt  :cheers: :cheers:
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

Offline oj

« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2016, 07:00:45 PM »
I, too, am interested in building a tank.  Other builds were mentioned, how would I find them?  Are they on this site?  I've done some searching without luck.  I thought I saw a build or two on the Hamb but can't find them either.  Any suggestions?  Also, the ECTA rule book the same as SCTA for a tank?  I found a place to buy the ECTA rule book & membership but the SCTA site seems deserted.
Thanks, not trying to steal the thread I assume the OP would be interested as well.  Oj

Offline ronnieroadster

« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2016, 09:35:39 PM »
I, too, am interested in building a tank.  Other builds were mentioned, how would I find them?  Are they on this site?  I've done some searching without luck.  I thought I saw a build or two on the Hamb but can't find them either.  Any suggestions?  Also, the ECTA rule book the same as SCTA for a tank?  I found a place to buy the ECTA rule book & membership but the SCTA site seems deserted.
Thanks, not trying to steal the thread I assume the OP would be interested as well.  Oj

The ECTA and SCTA rule books as far as special construction catagory is concerned are identical. The lakester falls into the special construction category. You should join the SCTA then you will get the rule book and you should also get their log book for the car. On this sites build diary's there a number of lakesters projects you can look over for ideas. Also at the final ECTA event for the season the end of this month on the Ohio mile there will be a some laketers in attendance which you can see in person.
Working in the shop I use the 'F' word a lot. No not that word these words Focus and Finish go Fast and Flathead Ford!
 ECTA  XF/BGRMR Record 179.8561
 LTA    XF/BGRMR  Record 200.921 First  Ever Ford Flathead Roadster to hit 200 MPH burning gasoline July 2018
 SCTA  XF/BGRMR Record 205.744  First gas burning Ford flathead powered roadster to top 200 MPH at Bonneville August 7, 2021 top speed 219.717
 SCTA  XXF/BGRMR Record 216.131 plus a Red Hat
"Life Member of the Bonneville 200 MPH Club"

Offline Peter Jack

« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2016, 10:00:31 PM »
Go into http://www.landracing.com/forum/ . Go to Bonneville Salt Flats Discussion / Build Diaries and start looking for belly tank builds. There are lots of them.

Pete

Offline oj

« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2016, 09:18:20 AM »
Thanks guys, I'll have a looksee.  Part of my problem is the proper terminology, I'll learn.

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2016, 03:54:15 PM »
Motorcycle frame design starts with purchasing the parts that cannot be modified to fit the frame, like the engine, wheels, rider, etc.  These are positioned over the frame building table in mid air using brackets.  The frame is then built around these components.  This method probably will work for a car.

You can do this virtually in 3D using computer aided design.  The trick is finding or developing virtual parts like the engine, or in the case of a car, the engine, trans, rear end, steering gear, etc.  You can save a lot of time if someone has modeled these shapes and you can use them.

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2016, 06:39:15 PM »
It really is hard to beat the garage floor technique for a lakester  I started with a junk block and transmission and a rear end laid out on a floor with a center line on the floor, a line perpendicular to true up off of and a string line above to simulate the center line and upper body line.

The  wooden build table made from 4x8 sheets of ply wood like Sumner used (see his build on the "purplesagetradingpost.com"-- is also very adaptable   others prefer medal build tables
« Last Edit: September 11, 2016, 01:54:49 PM by SPARKY »

Offline grumm441

• HK 327
« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2016, 05:55:21 AM »
well, that's how ours started
you could have a look on the Australian Belly Tank thread
I'm sure there's a drawing of the frame that's not in chalk somewhere
Maybe CAD
:cheers:
Chief Motorcycle Steward Dry Lakes Racers Australia Inc
Spirit of Sunshine Bellytank Lakester
https://www.dlra.org.au/rulebook.htm

Offline fordboy628

• GONE FISHIN' . . .
« Reply #14 on: September 11, 2016, 07:46:00 AM »
well, that's how ours started
you could have a look on the Australian Belly Tank thread
I'm sure there's a drawing of the frame that's not in chalk somewhere
Maybe CAD

I'll bet the Reverend has it in CAD somewhere.

Fordboy
Science, NOT Magic . . . .

I used to be a people person.  But people changed that relationship.

"There is nothing permanent except change."    Heraclitus

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."     Albert Einstein