Author Topic: leathers  (Read 6360 times)

Offline Nortonist 592

• http://www.artfv.com/design/fashion/
leathers
« on: September 21, 2006, 08:45:48 PM »
Ventilated leathers are not allowed under SCTA rules.  They have to be all leather.  Two piece zip together leathers are allowed.  I guess when it hits 70 deg. in the U.K. you'll just have to fry.
Get off the stove Grandad.  You're too old to be riding the range.

Offline rockstar

leathers
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2006, 06:53:48 PM »
70 degree's? this year we had temp's in the high 90's and even the odd couple of days when it went into the 100's.
Us poor limey's don't get a lot of sun in the summer,it all goes to the salt,you lucky beggars :D
Remember Murphy's 6th law,if all goes well,then you have missed something out.

Team Sparrow Racing UK

Offline tomsmith

leather opinion
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2006, 11:09:58 PM »
As an "expert" on LACK of leathers, I think you should wear them.  The no perforation, etc rules appear to be oriented to 'liner rider/drivers, where it makes perfect sense.  For sit-on bikes, it seems to me that a different set of rules should apply.  In liners, maybe fires are the most important thing to worry about, where on sit-ons it looks like abrasion and general bouncing along or getting run over by the bike is more likely.  Perhaps the rules folks should re-evaluate the purpose of leathers for the two situations.  By the way, I never used graphite on my back - I just had a really good tan from wearing a bathing suit on the salt for a few days.  The tan got left on the salt.  I read a report in the mid-50s that said that leathers were a few miles an hour faster than bare skin.  I wish I had known about it.
139mph with no bike, but with speedo and helmet.

Offline Nortonist 592

leathers
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2006, 11:21:28 PM »
I've always felt that leathers for liners is wrong.  In the event of a fire leather isn't the worlds best to wear.  Current leathers [some of them] have cloth material in the armpits, back of the knees, etc.  This is what the all leather rule is aimed at.
Rockstar,  I'm poking fun.  Having lived and road raced in Ireland for a number of years my memories tend to run to rain, rain and more rain.  Although I do remember sitting on the grid at a road race in Kinsale and looking up a blue sky.  A rare moment.

Offline tomsmith

more useless opinions
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2006, 12:18:52 AM »
I don't want to minimize the chances of fire on a sit-on bike.  I did in fact have a fire on a fuel dragster Harley after blowing up (I was wearing Levis at the time), and I can testify that my legs got plenty hot.  I just think that rules ought to be based on science and practical experience.  For example, what accidents have occurred on bikes and what good did the rider protection do or not do, or might do.  I happen to be in favor of body armor, but it seems to not be in the rules.  I also don't understand why Nomex is not legal as "cloth" in bendable areas if fire protection is the idea.  How many people get abrasion injuries in their arm pits?  I got some on both outside AND inside of my left elbow. Nortonist is right that Nomex auto fire suits may be better than leather for streamliners.  I am curious and certainly do not consider myself an expert, but I bet someone out there is.
139mph with no bike, but with speedo and helmet.

Offline hotrod

• Black Horse photo
leather and fire
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2006, 01:17:41 AM »
I found this comment quite some time ago on the Pyrotech web site, and think it should raise some interesting questions regarding full leathers and fire protection.

From --- http://www.pyrotect.com/pages.php?pageid=9

Many sanctioning bodies allow leather for shoes and gloves. Leather transfers heat almost instantly, and shrinks with sufficient force to crush foot/hand bones. Any man made plastic or rubber will burn, or worse, melt and can embed into the skin, requiring skin grafting. You must use your hands and feet in a fire. We try to use leather only as an applique for wear, and it is designed so that upon being subjected to fire, it will fall off due to the shear action on the thread caused by shrinkage.

Do the current rules for motorcycle protection ( I don't have access to my rule book right now) require full coverage of the riders ankles ?

Same page as the above quote

(Never wear a low top shoe ? if your ankle is burned no amount of healing will restore your ability to walk)

From the sounds of the description of the blown oil line incident this last BUB meet it sounds like a header ignited oil fire would do a serious number on a riders legs and ankles and test an SFI protection rating to the limit. At least on a sit on bike the rider has the option to bail and roll if it gets too hot. Not the case in an enclosed shell.

Larry

Offline Nortonist 592

leathers
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2006, 01:47:36 AM »
Don't give them any more ideas than they already have.  Next thing you know we'll have to wear fire suits over our leathers.  Followed by fire bottles, roll cage and a five point harness.  Fire on a sit on isn't a problem.  Remember our feet aren't strapped to the pegs.

Offline 1212FBGS

• http://www.motobody.com
leathers
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2006, 11:58:02 AM »
fire and abrasion aren't our problem.... insurance companies are!
kr

Offline Nortonist 592

leathers
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2006, 09:50:28 PM »
Unfortunately, very true.

Offline rockstar

leathers
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2006, 02:36:43 PM »
ah you just stimulated my grey cell's,on the point of insurance what type of cover do you need to race on the salt?
Remember Murphy's 6th law,if all goes well,then you have missed something out.

Team Sparrow Racing UK

Super Kaz

leathers
« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2006, 10:46:07 PM »
Man this Subject Kills me! :(

I could Right a Book about this subject.
 As I had to have "PABLO" The Shoe repairman in WENDOVER Ruin my Brand New Dianse ROSSI Factory Leather's with Kevlar Side Panel inserts! :evil: At least they are Visible while I was swimming out there during a Morning Test Ride! :roll: Save my Butt more then once :shock: !

Offline jimmy six

leathers
« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2006, 06:29:53 PM »
M/C streamliners follow the same safety rules as 4 wheel streamliners including firesuits.   7.H.3 in the book for suits............... :arrow:
First GMC 6 powered Fuel roadster over 200, with 2 red hats. Pit crew for Patrick Tone's Super Stock #49 Camaro