Author Topic: Steady, Straight, WOT  (Read 63074 times)

Offline Mr. Schimstock

Re: Steady, Straight, WOT
« Reply #150 on: April 06, 2024, 12:02:46 AM »
In an effort to remove some losses I decided to replace the quick change with a single reduction GM axle.   I was able to find the 2.14, 2.28, and 2.41 ratios along with a posi carrier.   This will allow me to go with 28" tires rather than the big shaved down Dunlops I ran originally.  To get around the axle C-clip issue it machined a set of Grand National style spindles to fit the GM axle tubes from from cold rolled 8620.  This allows me to use the brakes and hubs from the quick change.  I also like the full floater style axles.
Sproing, crack, ouch!

Offline Mr. Schimstock

« Reply #151 on: April 06, 2024, 12:03:48 AM »
Pic of the spindle in the tubes ready to be welded.
Sproing, crack, ouch!

Offline 71GSSDemon

« Reply #152 on: April 06, 2024, 09:35:03 AM »
Just read through your whole build.  Thank you for sharing.  I am still working on my car for CGALT.  Where in WI are you?  I am outside of Fond du Lac.  It would be great to meet some of you in WI and BS, bench race, ask questions, etc. 

Eric

Offline Rex Schimmer

• Only time and money prevent completion!
« Reply #153 on: April 06, 2024, 03:59:13 PM »
Nice job on the spindles!!! What type of bearing are you planning to use? I did full floating hubs on a early Ford rear end with a Hildebrand quicky for my little track roadster a few years ago and bought the complete set up from Cole3man Bros Racing. You obviously had some 8620 laying around and some time. Again, nice job!

Rex
Rex

Not much matters and the rest doesn't matter at all.

Offline Mr. Schimstock

« Reply #154 on: April 07, 2024, 05:37:33 PM »
Nice job on the spindles!!! What type of bearing are you planning to use? I did full floating hubs on a early Ford rear end with a Hildebrand quicky for my little track roadster a few years ago and bought the complete set up from Cole3man Bros Racing. You obviously had some 8620 laying around and some time. Again, nice job!

Rex

Using Timken tapered roller bearings.  Same ones the circle track guys run. 

I tried to just buy as set but could not find anyone making them for the 2-5/8" axle tubes.  Best option I could come up with was making my own.  Wasn't too bad machining them.  Scary part was the threading. I'm not great at it but got the job done. 

I picked 8620 to get some strength and still be easily welded.  4140 and 4340 really needs some pre and post heat to be welded correctly.
Sproing, crack, ouch!

Offline Mr. Schimstock

« Reply #155 on: April 07, 2024, 05:38:07 PM »
Just read through your whole build.  Thank you for sharing.  I am still working on my car for CGALT.  Where in WI are you?  I am outside of Fond du Lac.  It would be great to meet some of you in WI and BS, bench race, ask questions, etc. 

Eric

North of you by about an hour.  Little town called Redgranite.
Sproing, crack, ouch!

Offline jimmy six

« Reply #156 on: April 08, 2024, 12:24:29 PM »
My opinion only... If you are looking to eliminate rolling resistance....ALL Timken style bearings should be removed.
First GMC 6 powered Fuel roadster over 200, with 2 red hats. Pit crew for Patrick Tone's Super Stock #49 Camaro

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #157 on: April 08, 2024, 12:56:56 PM »
My opinion only... If you are looking to eliminate rolling resistance....ALL Timken style bearings should be removed.

Generic name= "tapered roller bearings"
Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ

Offline Mr. Schimstock

« Reply #158 on: April 08, 2024, 01:25:00 PM »

I agree.  That's on a list for future upgrades/changes but more than I wanted to take on right now.
Sproing, crack, ouch!

Offline Rex Schimmer

• Only time and money prevent completion!
« Reply #159 on: April 08, 2024, 02:47:03 PM »
Jimmy is right!! Tapered roller bearings have a lot of drag compared to a good ball bearing. If you really want to go high buck then ceramic ball bearings are the trick. $$$$! but very low drag. Free(?) horsepower.
On the tapered roller bearings be sure to use very low, if any, pre-load as they will get hot, expand and weld themselves together, voice of experience.

Rex
Rex

Not much matters and the rest doesn't matter at all.

Offline 71GSSDemon

« Reply #160 on: April 08, 2024, 08:12:28 PM »

Eric

North of you by about an hour.  Little town called Redgranite.

That's not far at all.  Been thru there many times.  It would be very cool to meet you and see the car sometime. 

Offline Mr. Schimstock

« Reply #161 on: April 08, 2024, 09:16:21 PM »
Jimmy is right!! Tapered roller bearings have a lot of drag compared to a good ball bearing. If you really want to go high buck then ceramic ball bearings are the trick. $$$$! but very low drag. Free(?) horsepower.
On the tapered roller bearings be sure to use very low, if any, pre-load as they will get hot, expand and weld themselves together, voice of experience.

Rex

Thanks for the input.  Much appreciated.  I usually run them just out of preload but not enough endplay to show up as wheel wobble. 

What are you guys running for grease?
Sproing, crack, ouch!

Offline kiwi belly tank

« Reply #162 on: April 09, 2024, 11:06:32 AM »
Diff oil level is your lubricant M8.
  Sid.

Offline Mr. Schimstock

« Reply #163 on: April 09, 2024, 01:16:42 PM »
Wasn't thinking like that Sid.  The Quickchange didn't pump any oil into the wheel end area.  The GM 7.5 will likely though given the way it is designed.   I'll have to keep an eye on it and see how much oil gets pushed out there.
Sproing, crack, ouch!

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #164 on: April 09, 2024, 02:23:04 PM »
5-20 syth. motor oil is what i run in my 7.5 900+ hp
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!