Author Topic: G/F class lakester in Wichita, Kansas  (Read 221146 times)

Offline ggl205

• G/FL 218.282 since 1995. G/FL record since 1993.
Re: G/F class lakester in Wichita, Kansas
« Reply #150 on: March 11, 2017, 10:24:32 AM »
Hey Dick K:

I will be relying on improved weight distribution, a low/forward Cg and all that vertical flat panel at back for stabilization. The small stabilizer is there mainly to put class designation. The great white dyno will quickly tell me if this combination works or not.

John
« Last Edit: March 11, 2017, 12:16:31 PM by ggl205 »

Offline MAYOMAN

« Reply #151 on: March 14, 2017, 08:35:27 AM »
John,
Sorry. I just couldn't resist the opportunity to apply the needle. Actually, a tall tail fin would just impart a roll moment, which you really don't need in yaw. Do you have a snow plow for that thing? Nasty weather this week - I need a wind breaker on my bike today.
When you get to light that motor up can you post a video on YouTube? :dhorse:
The road is long - Life is short - Drive fast

Offline ggl205

« Reply #152 on: March 14, 2017, 10:52:25 AM »
I need a wind breaker on my bike today.
When you get to light that motor up can you post a video on YouTube? :dhorse:

Your killing me, Dick! 28 degrees out here for the past two days with no letup in site for a week. And yes, I will post a video for startup of the engine. Lots to do before then but should be close in a couple of months.

John

Offline ggl205

« Reply #153 on: March 16, 2017, 10:03:08 AM »
As I close in on completion of my 2 liter lakester, I began looking downrange two or three years for other engine/transaxle combinations that would fit my car. Coincidentally, there is an F-class engine and gearbox available from an ill-fated streamliner project. The engine is a 1000 hp, turbocharged Toyota Supra mated to a Lola Indycar transaxle (Hewland DGB internals). Anyone want to guess what the speed potential would be with this drivetrain in my lakester?

John

Offline WOODY@DDLLC

• ECTA made it to AR-Kansas!
    • Design Dreams, LLC
« Reply #154 on: March 16, 2017, 10:15:18 AM »
I know, I know but I'm not tellin'!  :x :x
All models are wrong, but some are useful! G.E. Box (1967) www.designdreams.biz

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #155 on: March 16, 2017, 10:20:12 AM »
Screw the potential speed -- put it in and take it to Bville so we can enjoy the purty engine.  Eye candy is always good. :-D
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline tauruck

« Reply #156 on: March 16, 2017, 11:58:21 AM »
Like SSS said. :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

Offline ggl205

« Reply #157 on: March 16, 2017, 12:38:09 PM »
I too am an engine guy but in the final analysis, these things are just tools to a given end. As nice as they look, the bloody things have to perform or they might as well be wall hangers.

John
« Last Edit: March 16, 2017, 12:39:52 PM by ggl205 »

Offline Ron Gibson

« Reply #158 on: March 16, 2017, 02:26:23 PM »
How much real doubt about if the one in the pictures will perform :? :? :?

Ron
Life is an abrasive. Whether you get ground away or polished to a shine depends on what you are made of.

Offline Rex Schimmer

• Only time and money prevent completion!
« Reply #159 on: March 16, 2017, 03:16:27 PM »
John said: " Anyone want to guess what the speed potential would be with this drivetrain in my lakester?"  Probably fast enough to cut into your shorts supply!

Funny how the car isn't even done and we are already looking at the next bullet! Doing the same thing with my I/fuel lakester!

Rex
Rex

Not much matters and the rest doesn't matter at all.

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #160 on: March 16, 2017, 08:53:17 PM »
John, better add a second chute if you are thinking about that engine....
 that is my guess about potential  :cheers:
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline Jack Gifford

« Reply #161 on: March 17, 2017, 01:37:53 AM »
... a 1000 hp, turbocharged Toyota Supra...
... Anyone want to guess what the speed potential would be with this drivetrain in my lakester?...
I don't see any forced induction system. Has it actually been run with turbo's?
SCTA record for F/BFL is about 263 MPH, if that's any help. Seems to me if a person could put 1,000 HP to the ground with an F lakester the record would be over 263. :?

It's somewhat ironic that while many builders contemplate "faster" via more engine, I'm personally thinking about 'slower' (smaller engine)... perhaps less stressful initial fire-up and dyno session. 8-)
« Last Edit: March 17, 2017, 01:44:17 AM by Jack Gifford »
M/T Pontiac hemi guru
F/BFL 1-mile Loring record 2020

Offline Dr Goggles

• The Jarman-Stewart "Spirit of Sunshine" Bellytank
    • "Australian Bellytank" , http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/
« Reply #162 on: March 17, 2017, 04:24:34 AM »
... Anyone want to guess what the speed potential would be with this drivetrain in my lakester?...
SCTA record for F/BFL is about 263 MPH, if that's any help. Seems to me if a person could put 1,000 HP to the ground with an F lakester the record would be over 263. :?

It's somewhat ironic that while many builders contemplate "faster" via more engine, I'm personally thinking about 'slower' (smaller engine)... perhaps less stressful initial fire-up and dyno session. 8-)

If you can get the power to the ground, if the car keeps pointing down the track, if it doesn't break anything I reckon it's in the two chute range but gee there's a lot of maybes in going that fast.I watched a few people have a reality check at the salt here this year. 1000hp will break more things than traction. Better aero, same power more speed, just like that...
Few understand what I'm trying to do but they vastly outnumber those who understand why...................

http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/

Current Australian E/GL record holder at 215.041mph

THE LUCKIEST MAN IN SLOW BUSINESS.

Offline ggl205

« Reply #163 on: March 17, 2017, 08:24:50 AM »

Jack:

The engine does use a turbo but has not been started yet. It was waiting for the liner to be built and at some point, far enough along to justify completion. So, how do I know it will produce 1000 hp? These engines have a history of that much power and more. 1000 hp is about middle of the road.

I agree with you that often less is more but when it comes to horsepower, I will always take more. You can always take a little out if you have trouble planting the car.

John
« Last Edit: March 17, 2017, 11:42:34 AM by ggl205 »

Offline ggl205

« Reply #164 on: March 17, 2017, 08:36:11 AM »

If you can get the power to the ground, if the car keeps pointing down the track, if it doesn't break anything I reckon it's in the two chute range but gee there's a lot of maybes in going that fast.I watched a few people have a reality check at the salt here this year. 1000hp will break more things than traction. Better aero, same power more speed, just like that...

Star Spangled Banger was a Lakester based on an older Indy car. It used a turbo Offy and those were notorious beasts on drivetrain bits. But that car had a lot going for it. It was a proven setup for that speed so I am sure the crew concentrated on handling and grip, all the things a solid road racing team would do. If/when the time comes, I hope we are as successful in F-class. But for now, everything is aimed at G/GL and G/FL.

John